1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New stock or new gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunsmoke77802, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunsmoke77802

gunsmoke77802 TS Member

So I'm thinking of driving to Wenig Stocks and getting a custom fitted stock for my shotgun. (85TSS combo). Down side is on the phone they don't sound very interested or accommodating on delivery time, and I'd have up to $2K spent on a stock set. Like maybe up to 6months delivery. Thats a deal killer for sure.

Have been eyeing the CG trap guns. They now say can get stock made to your dimensions which is a big plus right off the bat. Have noticed all the high $ trap guns have a real high rib compared to the Brownings, most Beretta's & SKB. Question is does the high rib help that much? Does it help keep the head erect & let you see the bird faster? So who do you go to to make sure your fitted correctly for a CG trap gun? Getting fitted correctly & a facory stock made for you sounds real attractive to me.

Just trying to figure out which way to jump.

Jay

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try dennis devault. he is a first class operation, good turnaround time and beautiful wood. plenty of places to stay in canton ohio and he takesa you to the shooting range to make wsure it workws. motordoc

3. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

There are a lot of nice guns out there, but a custom stock will increase your enjoyment of shooting considerably. I have an Infinity that was custom fit by Dennis DeVault and it is a great plesure to shoot. I could be wrong but a custom stock by DeVault would probably be done in a 3 month or less time period. I will never buy another gun without figuring in the price for a custom DeVault stock. It makes that big of a difference. Good luck,

Josh Andersen

4. smoky

smoky Member

when i first got my gun it was hitting me. i talked to dennis devault and ended up having him build me a stock. fit, quality, and appearance are beyond my expectations. no matter what gun you get, NOTHING is going to compare to a custom fit stock, and dennis is one of the best. scott

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Add my name to a list of recommendations to visit Dennis - see his Website URL, above.

Rollin

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you will never get your money back out of the wood? i am not opposed to getting a custom fit stock- but- if you also want a taller rib ect ect- go buy a gun ready to go from the factory-

7. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I have had nine stocks built by Wenig, the longest I waited was 8 weeks. I would talk to them again. They also have a trailer they take to shoots and for less then $500 you get a custom fit blank you can take with you and shoot until you are satisfied with it before making the final one. Check their schedule and reserve a time. I have always been happy with their work.

As for the gun, try before you buy. Today all the high end guns are good. They do handle differently though so you need to try them. The high rib does for me what you listed in your initial post. Heads up, better visability etc.

Custom stocks from the gun maker aren't always the greatest. Not everyone can make both good guns and good stocks. Dennis DeVault does but he I think is the exception.

Wenig is a stock maker. Pick your gun first, then the stock maker, unless the gun is Dennis's.

Mark Zauhar

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Does seem a long time for Wenig. Although their under new ownership, so things may have changed. Dave T.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've been trying to remember what Missouri stockmaker preceded Wenig. I think they had a fire. Can anyone remind me?

Neil

10. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wenig is a very good stockmaking company. Most intervals I hear from them is 6 to 8 weeks from fitting date your stock will be delivered. First class fitting and finishing. It is 100% imperative that you know exactly what POI you want before you go there.

Neil, Wenig did have a fire in their finish area many years ago, but I think you are referring to R. Fajen.

Good luck with your decision on stock.

Don Rackley

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Fajen! That's it! Thanks, Don.

Neil

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Fajen and Bishop. Fred Wenig the formor owner of Wenig Gunstocks was the shop forman for Fajen. I would consider a new gun and then posibily a gunfitting.

The skb in my opinion is not a gun that I would put the money of a custom stock in to.

If you go with A Ceaser Guerini I think its a good gun but see a stockfitter prior to ordering the stock and get the right dimentions.

Joe

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Grab almost any trap gun out of the rack and it has the capability of breaking more records than ever posted! If there's a secret to successful shotgunning, it's in a fitted stock to you! No matter the cost of a new gun, it won't buy good scores without a stock that fits, period! The most important part on a shotgun for shooting with any consistency. Hap

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

gunsmoke77802

"Just trying to figure out which way to jump."

Jay I realize you can't tell much about how a gun fits you from photos but you can get a damn good idea of the quality of the workmanship.

With that being said here are some of Dennis Devault's Eye Candy

http://trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=182906#333249

http://trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=181126#318859

http://trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=174445#152112

Just copy the links to your browser and take a look for yourself.

Bob Lawless

15. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I recently got a stock from Dennis. I've got several issues to deal with physically, including RA that makes me pretty recoil conscious. I've been shooting 3/4 ounce loads to avoid issues. In the process of doing some experimenting, yesterday I shot about 125 handicap 1 1/8 ounce loadsto see if the stock was really as comfortable as I thought it was. I was getting a little tired of them by the end, but have no after effects today from recoil. I haven't shot that many 1 1/8 ounce loads in a day for a whole bunch of years. I also had a built to specs rib put on my gun (391). Everybody who handles it, likes it. A friend who just got a custom stock from another maker almost gets tears in his eyes when he handles mine. It feels that much better than his.

If you have a gun you are satisfied with mechanically, I would suggest a DeVault over haul without hesitation. When it is finished, you will have exactly what you want--rib and sight picture, with a stock comfortable enough to fall asleep on. I wouldn't trade the 391 straight across for anything, unless I could sell the "anything", make a quick buck and have Dennis dress up another 391 for me. Good folks, good stuff. There is an article in the next issue of TrapShooting USA on the operation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content