1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Sources of Lead???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have any of you found or know of sources of lead other than wheel weights?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I get it out of the trap range. I will spend a our or so with a 1/8th spaced screen and sift the top 1nch or so of soil. Last out I got 80lbs. Smelted it down. Its a bit dirty. To remove alot of the non lead items I will dump the shot out in my wheelbarrel and use my shop vac to blow off the dirt and twigs.

I also will walk the out door ranges for 10 min or so and pick up all the non jacketed bullets. Gets me about 6lbs

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

dont rule out indoor ranges for lead....I mix indoor or unknown lead with my wheel weights I have run about 100lbs of a 50 50 mix and seemed to drop a tad bit larger shot ? Im going to cut it back to 80% WW 20% lead

4. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Roofers remove a lot of lead flashings and pipes............

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My Dad used to tell me to get the lead out of my A$$.

6. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Quack shot....hahahaha..Thats a good one.....I heard that a few times in life...RUN'EM

7. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Found 2700 lbs at the scrap yard this week, .20 a lb, of pure lead, working on dropping it all this weekend, Chuck

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lead closed at 97 cents a pound this week? HMB

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

I don't want to hijack the thread so direct email responses would probably be best...

I've collected lead from various sources over the last two years and combined everything (wheel weights, linotype, roof flashing, etc.) I melted it all together and made small ingots.

When I cast bullets (9mm and .38/.357) I seem to end up with very hard bullets. Can bullets be "too" hard? It all casts nice, thanks to the linotype metal, but just wondering...

thanks...

And now back to our scheduled thread.

capvan

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

we had some really good rain friday night: A 15min walk around the burn scored my 15lbs of spent bullets. mostly 9mm and 45acp semi wad cutters. The heavy rain seems to bring them to the surface.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Quack Shot seems to have most of it in his foot these days. Those of us that know him will confirm.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sounds like when someone ages, everything moves south, including the lead. :)

capvan

It is indeed possible to have a bullet that is too "Hard". I had some high antimony content linotype that cast a bullet that was almost "frangible" or brittle. If the rifling was not deep and sharp, it would strip the bullet and accuracy would go down the tubes. Had to keep the velocity very low, or cut the metal with pure lead and a little tin.

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Too hard bullets can, and I say can not will, increase leading in revolvers particularly if the chamber throats are too large. The bullets, being too hard, will not upset and thus let gas cut by as they enter the throat of the barrel.

I bought several thousand very hard cast 44 Keith bullets and with anything over a moderate load they will lead any of the magnums I shot them in. On the other hand, straight wheelweights from an identical mould, lubed with beeswax/alox2138f do not lead my guns. I also think the waxy blue/red/whatever lubes the commercial casters use are pretty weak at stopping leading.

Sorry about going on about bullets in a shot related thread but if you are having leading problems in a revolver, it could be caused by bullets too hard.

14. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

amyone around aurora il need lead,, i can get it. will do a swap for ammo or other shooting related stuff. tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.