1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New source of lead!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

If you're looking for cheap lead, think of all the old pencils that are thrown away. Collect them. They all have lead in them.

Rollin

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Rollin - Sorry to pop your bubble, but isn't lead but graphite and clay. FYI RG

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why does everyone always blame China and WalMart when we should really be blaming ourselves. We want things cheap so we buy from places like WalMart and because we want it cheap they go to places like China ... we as consumers has caused this problem so we as shooting consumers must pay for the problem we all have created.

Personally I think that the USA should have and should now have a tariff on all imported products and stop all subsidizing to any American business/farmer who cant survive with the imported market ... yep thats right ... make the imported product more expensive and make the American produces sell cheaper ... even the playing field and then let the consumer make the decision as to where to purchase.

Rumor has it that some of the shot now being sold has been imported from overseas because they can produce so much cheaper that even with shipping there and back to hear that it can be done cheaper ... yep ... couldn't that be a major bite in your panties. Just think of it ... we complain about it so much but we might support it and not even realize it ... it could happen ya know.

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I don't want to be a phrophet of doom but,
    Just look around your local club. The shooters (that are shooting) are shooting more throw-away factory shells & less reloads. The finances of the game are catching up. More & more are digging out the old shot makers and wheel weights are at an all time high at the junk yards, I was quoted 85 cents a lb. the other day. A five gallon bucket (that I used to get from garages for about $20) figures to about 120 Lbs and produces about 100 Lbs of shot. That's still over twenty-five a bag and you supply the labor & equiptment. If we don't find a solution soon, I think we will see a major reduction in targets thrown, local leagues will shrink, and club shooting will dwindle to a drip.

Big Jack

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Lumper:

I am all for your position on high tariffs on imported products. I shoot Remington, Marlin and Ruger firearms and think that all overseas made firearms should be subject to a high tariff. I am all for “Made in the USA all the way.”

My family also drives Toyota products that are made in Kentucky and Indiana from mostly US sources and assembled parts. These are wonderful vehicles; a Tundra and a Camry.

However, under your proposal for high tariffs, where would GM and Ford get their parts?

Whether we like it or not, Globalization is a fact of life. Like the Industrial Revolution, it is not going away because it is based on making money, lots of it.

My advice to students is to get a good education or learn a skilled trade because many manufacturing jobs are gone or going away. We will always need engineers, building trade’s professionals, mechanics, draftsmen, medical professionals, scientists and the like. Don’t count on simply showing up at a local factory and getting hired on the next day.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

If your worried about GM and Ford you should also be worried about Toyota as well ... especially since you state that they are assembled mostly from parts from US sources as well.

BTW ... we aint gots nuthin ta warry bout in dis contry, we gots thi no child left behind progrim dat gibs ebry1 a emakaychin so Y werry bot colage lernin ta git a jub?

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Lumper - Punitive tariffs never work, and only cause retaliation against American goods. Congress tried that in the late 1920's, and the resulting Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, help cause the world-wide Great Depression.

The only solution is for the employees in places like China and India to demand, and get, higher wages, and raise their standard of living.

Best,
    Dennis

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

The only problem is in China and India there is such a glut of slaves wanting to work that if the current slaves revolt they will only be sent to the streets and be blacklisted from ever working again while new slaves take there place and make products to be sold to us here in the US and other countries that have let themselves become globally dependent to cheap products.

Yep we only have ourselves to blame for it all ... nobody else except ourselves are to blame.

Uh oh ... I gotta go ... I just heard there is a 1/2 off sale at the $ store on all kinds of fantastic WallyWorld rejected Chinese merchandise is on special. Gotta love it man ... gotta love it!

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The link seems OT, but read enough and you'll see the connection to this thread.
    IMO, GW usually makes sense.

10. School Teacher

Pendennis:

Well said. Japan was once a low wage nation but this is no longer true. They are now a high wage nation and have a high standard of living. “Made in Japan” means quality, not junk.

If you take a look at the emerging business practices of advanced nations like the USA, Japan, Germany, Sweden, England and the like, you may see that key design and administrative functions remain in the homeland while manufacturing implementation is done is a low cost country. Educated persons in the homeland get good paying jobs while low skill jobs go to the lowest cost low skill labor.

Tariffs do not provide the desired effect on a national basis. What is gained in one area is often lost in another. Unless a nation is self sufficient in all essential resources, and few are, tariffs invite retaliation.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr School Teacher ... those countries also do not believe in or have any type of no child left behind program either.

12. School Teacher

Lumper:

I believe that the intent of No Child Left Behind is to better educate our children. Whether or how it achieves that goal is open to debate. Other nations have other methods.

The education systems in Japan, Germany, Sweden, England and other nations are different from ours. I don't know the exact specifics but in Japan, for example, my understanding is that students must take competitive exams to be admitted to high school and beyond. To be successful, they have to want to be successful. There is no free ride.

In our schools, students of Asiatic decent often score very high in mathematics and the sciences. Are they inherently better than our kids at these subjects? The answer is no. However, parental expectations cited as key drivers behind their success.

For many of today’s workers, the key to success is education. Education can get you into the door. After that, many other factors such as work ethic, interpersonal skills, leadership and being in the right place at the right time come into play. Without education, you often don’t get into the door.

13. Rollin Oswald

BLKLAB,

You don't say. Maybe the "lead" in pencils is the same type of "lead" used to shoot moving targets.

Rollin

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

dammit Rollin I ran out and bought every pencil Office Max had as soon as I read your post. I come back home and it is not lead after all? Sure wish I hadn't opened all of them.

Rock

Jim

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've been told there are some things that can put lead in your "Pencil" and I've been told to get the lead out of my ass! If that's possible, I'm all set!

16. Rollin Oswald

Rock/Jim:

Well, that proves the "lead" in lead pencils (I even learned how to spell pencil) is actually, as I suspect red, "lead" (rhymes with speed) and not lead (rhymes with dead), at all.

Maybe someone here can suggest a good use for a monumental stack or opened pencils, maybe give your or your neighbor's kids a handful of pencils and a cup and find them a street corner. Offer them 10% of the money they make. Little kids are ignorant and are likely to accept 10%. If they refuse, suggest that they may be old enough for adoption. (You have to be firm with kids.)

Rollin

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Anybody started scraping their old shoot pins? - mine all are Chi-com made.

18. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Well I hope the price of lead comes down. I have seen plywood, sheetrock and insulation have an adjustment over the past several years. High lead cost's hurt my meager shooting budget.

As a side note, GM can starve to death for all I care, POS high costing vehicles. I have bought two over the past several years and both have been poor workmanship and had major problems, like a $2500 transmission and under 25K miles. This was with excellent care and maintenance. The Toyota's, Volvo's, Honda's and Nissan's I have been in contact with held up much better. I will not own a big 3 American made one again.

Oh, I like Beretta too. But I do love my country and see where we are screwing ourselves up.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

piranha2

I think it starts with someone yelling: "Get The Lead Out of Your Ass!" Then there is the implied threat of unemployment. It usually gets the lead out, but where it went, I don't have a clue. Figure that out and we'd be rich!

skeet100

A Volvo is a FORD! So is a Jaguar and a Land Rover. Mash the link above! BTW, Ford may not be one of the big three anymore.

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Mr School Teacher ... those countries also do not believe in or have any type of no child left behind program either."</I>

And with good reason!

Most of the countries cited have extensive apprenticeship programs for their trades that produce trained competent workers without the need to create politically motivated "wonder programs". NCLB is another administration "feel good" initiative like all of the other unfunded mandates that have tumbled out of Washington in the past decade. Finding their resources over-dedicated, schools have no choice but to drop existing programs to fund these bureaucratic mandates. The kids who the programs are aimed toward would be much better served by apprenticeship programs. They could see a direction beyond their schooling. The industries that support apprenticeships would produce their own trained work force and the economy would retain jobs that are now out-sourced.

But decades of being dictated to and over-run by labor union demands have put the American economy in no position to afford the costs of using trained workers to train others, and we are left with meaningless mandates that often do more to strangle the education system than to advance it.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.