1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW SOFTER TARGETS COMING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scooterbum, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

will this make us happier?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

As I thought I made clear, sb, a motion to slow down single and handicap targets was defeated at the 2011 annual meeting of the ATA BOD. Let's wait for the official minutes to be sure what was proposed and the official outcome.

Neil

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

I hope the softer targets are DEFEATED!! I'm from the old school of trapshooting having started registering targets in 1947. I was greatly disappointed when they went to the two hole targets. Make the game harder and you will get greater participation. It's bad when even a class C or D shooter must break a hundred straight to win.

Johnpe

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Neil, the seed has been planted.

5. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"Make the game harder and you will get greater participation."

Where have I heard that before?

"It's bad when even a class C or D shooter must break a hundred straight to win."

You're right on both counts, John, but it's very difficult for me to get anything but a few to agree with this.

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

The 'dawg will be here any minute now as I know he will have an opinion on this (feature that!)...

:)

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Great idea. Just make the targets softer and extend the yardage markers out to the 40. That'll fix 'em. We've got to give every shooter the opportunity to break a 100 in Singles. That way they'll all feel good about themselves and the sport will grow by leaps and bounds. Thanks for the encouragement Jon

8. Hauser

Hauser Member

16 years ago the BOD made the decision to make the sport easier by narrowing the minimum angle requirement. The rationale at the time was “If we don't make the change shooters will quit shooting and leave the sport crippled”.

Fast forward to the BOD meeting at the 2011 Grand. Motion by the Kansas delegate to throw a 44 yard target for singles and handicap. The rationale; “It will help the clubs throw more targets”.

The two things proponents on both BODs have in common are;

1) A complete lack of understanding of nature of the sport. Registered trap shooting is about competition. Any rule that lessens the difficulty of the target presentation detracts from the nature of the sport. It was true in 95/96 and it's true today.

2) A failure to understand the unintended consequences of making targets easier to hit. The BOD in 95/96 didn't take the time to understand that narrower angles were going to be a gift to 27 yard shooters and now they dominate the handicap events. If the current proponents of this new change get their way they will be following in their predecessors footsteps.

The irony is Neil, one of the main forces behind the change in 95/96, is concerned that this new proposal might someday pass and ultimately hurt the sport. Apparently some forms of an “easier target” are worse than others.

Jerry Hauser

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I wish trapshooting would go back to the three hole target. I have been shooting a good number of years with only 1 one hundred straight. I earned that one hundred straight, even though it was the only straight I ever shot, but I am proud of that straight that I shot even today.

Vic reinders told me never to complain what class you are placed in, or what yardage you are on as he said we all put our pants on one leg at a time. Back in the early 70's we had one particular gun club in the Milwaukee area that changed targets to 2 hole. The owner felt if you came to his club you would come back to shoot if you shot well.

When Vic heard about this he was very upset. The Waukesha gun club was the last club to change in the area from the 3 hole to the 2 hole. If any of you ever shot a Waukesha you know that if you ever break a straight their you shot well and deserved congratulations from your fellow competitors.

The shooting sports would be better off without easy cream puff targets. We all need to man up, and in my opinion the 2 hole target has not helped trapshooting but hurt it. My feelings are comming from a person who has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in this sport, with only a handful of wins. May the best man or woman win shooting tough targets. you'll be proud that you did.
    Steve Balistreri

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

As someone new to trap (April this year) the last thing I want is softer targets. I haven't broken 100 straight, might never get there but I'd like to see the game get even more challenging.

Rich

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

After the softer targets can we get the ATA to only allow 20 gauge guns or smaller? Or get the NFL to just make football a 50 yard game?

Eric

12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

On the way to the ATA Ideal

40yd targets - or however soft they can go and still be in the air long enough to shoot. Or maybe there could be a self-loading pedestal at 30yd to hold the target for the shooter

All straight aways (if the pedestal thing is too expensive)

Stations 1yd apart or take tuns at Sta3 like skeet

I can hardly wait to see the masses of new shooters

13. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Why cant the game include all "type hole" presentations?
    It certainly would keep people on their toes and add some "oh sh#t to it.

14. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

The worst thing that could happen is make the game easier thats just rediculous I agree with above poster about c and d shooters having to shoot near 100 for a chance thats just wrong...

What is 2 or 3 hole targets if someone can answer that thanks

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

How 'bout this? Move the walks to in front of the traphouse and shoot incomers.

This may inconvenience the guys who have cars presently parked behind the traps but, as we know, you can't please everybody.

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Softer t5argets are a disaster in windy weather the scores actually will go down.
    I like about a 47mph target it's always where you expect it to be.
    Joe

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Move singles to 27 and leave the handicap alone...

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Move singles to 27 and leave the handicap alone..."

A singles program at the 27 would be dandy if the moved the max yardage to the 36, bout where it should be anyway with 34 degree angles.

Hap

19. \/\/\/Z\/\/\/

\/\/\/Z\/\/\/ Member

Making American Trap easier will further erode this generation's, and future generations' abilities as trap shooters on the world stage. Keep the game challenging and develop better skilled shooters in the USA. It’s striving for excellence that keeps shooters engaged in the sport.

-Z

20. WCR

WCR TS Member

How about shooting singles handicap and doubles off a wobble trap and leave everything else as is.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.