1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New, smarter junk email problem.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Somebody has figured out how to stuff graphics for pharmacuticals in front of random content from random senders. Can't write a rule to search on graphics and route this to my Junk folder.

Ideas?

IT staff is too busy to help; we're on our own until this becomes a crisis.

2. joe kuhn

IT guys are going to have to solve this one. Will let you know what they come up with. I've heard of one solution called 'Spam Assassin'. You can always change your email address and be very tight with giving it out.

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

There are a couple ways you can address the problem IF you have control over your choice of email clients.

Either you've been sending your email address to (1) recipients who have been selling it to 3rd parties via harvested lists, or (2) insecure sites like this one where it can be mined by bots, or (3) friends with dirty systems that are having their email address lists harvested via data miners, worms etc. If you're on a network and other people have the same problem, your net has been compromised and needs attention.

If your problem is caused by #1 or #2 your best choice is to create a mailbox that you use exclusively for dealing with unknown recipients like those encountered when shopping on-line. If you use Windows and Internet Explorer (bad choice, really) you can do this by creating an account with a client like Google's Gmail. Use this account until it becomes too badly polluted then discard it and create another. If you're using Firefox as a browser (better choice), you can install a little add-on that allows you to create alias return addresses that last only as long as you want them to (a new one for each new recipient) after which they disappear so they can't attract garbage.

You might also switch to or configure your email client so that it (1) does not display images in email unless directed to do so or (2) allows you to filter email by size, or (3) filters incoming mail by what it doesn't contain. Images are stored on the sender's server. When you open an email and open an image in it, the sender knows that your email address is active because the image is downloaded. Configure your email client to display images in plain text instead of HTML. Blocking images addresses the problem if it's the images that bother you and size filtering solves the problem if the images are heavy enough to allow a filter to distinguish them from your normal email. Filtering by content allows you to reject email NOT sent to you from addresses in your own address book. Keep in mind that filtration is not foolproof and that some valid messages will be redirected. You will need to check the target folder regularly to pick up the strays.

Carol Lister

4. joe kuhn

I like the idea of 'junking' any email from a sender NOT in my address book, but Outlook doesn't have the option for NOT IN. It just has IN. Damn.

Nice overview. Thanks.

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"I like the idea of 'junking' any email from a sender NOT in my address book, but Outlook doesn't have the option for NOT IN. It just has IN."</blockquote>
    Are you using MS Outlook, Office Outlook or Outlook Express?

Carol Lister

6. joe kuhn

MS Office Outlook

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.