1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New SKB combo--what I found today at the range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Very nice gun. I bought mine from Jaqua's. Great bunch of guys to deal with. I dealt with Neal. Gun is a 32 o/u with the 34 under single. Wood is SKB's example of high-grade. Wood has very nice figure. Just wish these other makers could replicate Brownings finish on wood. Gun shot like a champ. You'd think that with a new gun you'd miss some/if not more the first time out. I did miss a couple more times than usual the first round. After that, the gun (and I) clicked just fine. I shot doubles with the gun and did very well (for me). I didn't 'smoke' a bunch of birds at 16 out of two rounds. But I DIDN'T 'chop' more than a few either. My one beef; on the o/u barrel the center post is 'off' to the right. Ya, you'd think with all the machining robots they have these days a center post could be drilled on center in the rib. I'll be contacting SKB come next week to see how they'll help me. This one flaw hasn't ruined my feelings about this gun. For the money I don't think you'd find a better gun these days. Thanks SKB, Jim Price

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Maybe SKB moved it over so it would shoot straight.LOL

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Three, now that's just down right rude. lol Jim

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Ill keep my 85TSS as well. Its never failed me like some other brands have. All the experts really know nothing in the end when it comes to SKBs.
    They actually wish they had bought one instead of a 3x the cost gun that performs in the shadows of an SKB, so thus the SKBs are "bad"....hahaha
    Id rather be shooting than sending my trap gun in for repairs.

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

O.K., I hear you guys that in the past have had bad experiences with SKB's. I haven't put enough rounds through my new 85ttr to say if its a great gun. What little I can tell you is I've grown up shooting trap. I'm 55 now. These guns are very good shooters. So what if the middle bead on one of the barrels is off center. If SKB will fix it free and do it in a couple weeks I'm fine with that. The gun is tight and does what its suppose to do. Break birds. I'm sure I can win some meets with this gun and I'm going too. And if SKB will keep fixing ANY problem that comes up with this gun for free I'll be shooting it and winning with it. It doesn't take a 10,000 dollar gun to win. It takes faith in you're own ability and a gun that will deliver. Jim

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Joe, I sold that b-2000. I hope the new owner enjoys the gun. He told me he found the gun as a 'beaut'. I'll keep people appriased of what turns out with this gun. It shoots great. If any problems other than original occur I'll certainly post them here. Some of the people at my range that have competed a lot told me they found the feel of the gun very good. JKP

7. waynewash

waynewash Member

smoknjoe, did you try the Carlsons yet?

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Who puts release in SKB"S?

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

My first unsingle combo was an SKB. It did not take me long to figure that it was not the gun for me. Some mite think they are a good buy but I have to differ. There price is so close to the B guns that I would not look twice at them. At my club there is a lot of different people who have had probs with them. Why and how I don't know. There is just a better way.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Center bead not centered? Seen many Beretta 682E's that way, in fact I'm not sure I ever saw one that was centered. Ribs falling off? Not picking on Beretta but they had the same problem with their auto's, plus badges falling off too. Springs breaking? I don't think I have to say a thing, but that isn't a problem limited to SKB. The biggest problem with SKB is they have no snob appeal. Don't know how you fix that. And I did shoot a SKB unsingle for about 6 months and was happy with it, no problems, I got struck with trapshooteritis and traded it off to gain that extra bird, still haven't got that extra bird 8 trades down the line.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I shoot a 686 Beretta, but a friend of mine had one of the CG7"s in the unsingle, I can honestly say I have never missed a bird with his gun from the 27 yd. line, seemed to shoot where I was looking......all 4 shots!! lol

don't know about the quality but....some day I may give one a shot.

tony

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The good thing about SKB is that they are a company honestly looking to be the best...always listening and improving....I'm totally happy with mine even though I own the other competitors brands also...variety is the spice of life

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Contact Glen Hunting at the Silver Dollar for a release for your SKB. Jake

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The issue that concerns me about SKB is the lousy resale. They just
    are not a gun with high demand. Your better off buying a used one
    and let the original buyer take the big hit.

15. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Wayne,

I got out yesterday...shot 5 rounds with the Carlson'n Mod choke tube.

Huge difference...I got smoked centered targets and some chippers that
    are very easy to read. I could actually tell that the SKab was shooting
    a little flat. The only adjustment I made was on the rib.

No gun failures...it was clear and 45is...nice day to enjoy the outdoors.

I posted a report last night on another thread about choke tubes, yes I
    am very happy with the extended Carlson's.

Now who wants to buy a set of 4 Briley's ????????

16. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Joe, I'm thinking of giving the seminole tubes a go. Having a new gun is a kick when you can play with them. As far as being tickled pink with more expensive guns the only thing that seems to matter that much to me is the wood on the gun. Com'on, they all shoot good. It's just a matter of finding the right combination for each person. This SKB feels as good or better to me than many others. Ya, more expensive guns do feel tighter most of the time. But I'd rather be spending my money on shooting supplies. I'm not one to blame my gun. Hell, my m-12 kicks butt. Where else can a guy spend his money on a good quality product, shoot the heck out of it, keep it looking new, and not sell it for as much if not more than what you paid for it? Name it, and I'll pick up a new hobby. Jim

17. waynewash

waynewash Member

Joe, thanks for the update on the carlsons, like Jim, I think I will go for the seminoles, I tend to shoot a little later, and I think IM and Full will work fine off the 16. Any one else have Seminoles in a SKB? Thanks for all the input. Wayne

18. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

SKB barrel update. As I stated, the middle bead was drilled off center on the o/u barrel. So I sent it off last Mon. back to the factory. It was sent USPS and should have arrived in no more than 3 days. Haven't heard a word from them. Sent them a message two days ago asking for an update or if they even received the barrel. Still waiting on an answer. Jim

19. Damifino

Damifino Member

Sent an 85TSS 32" double in about a week ago. I'm hoping it'll come back without issue.

I'll keep you posted.

20. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Smok'n Joe, If your serious about selling it I may be interested. I bought one a year ago and put 8 thousand rounds through it with no problems. Gun fits me well and breaks targets. I will admit I shot a K-80 and did not like it. It just did not fit me right. I would rather break targets than name drop my gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.