1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shotgun range in Georgia

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thursday, May 10, 2012
    New Shotgun Range Opens At Georgia's Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center
    MANSFIELD, GA - Trap and skeet enthusiasts have a new range to visit now that the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center (CEWC) Shotgun Range officially opened Wednesday, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division.

Speaking at today's event, Georgia DNR Commissioner Mark Williams said, "The shooting sports are safe, high-quality activities for families to enjoy. The Wildlife Resources Division's program helps cultivate a life-long love of shooting and fosters a sense of conservation for generations to come."

This range, which consists of a skeet range, trap range and 5-stand opportunities, is one of 18 shooting ranges (firearm or shotgun) currently available on public land in Georgia. Funding for the range came from the Federal Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program, the National Rifle Association, Breedlove Land Planning, Inc. and Gay Construction Co.

In attendance today were representatives from funding partners and several distinguished guests, including:

● Dennis Pitts, Field Representative for Lt. Governor Casey Cagle

● Rep. Susan Holmes, House District 125

● Brian Hyder, National Rifle Association's Eastern Regional Director

● Tom Gay, Gay Construction Co.

● Mike Breedlove, Breedlove Land Planning, Inc.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, shooting sports generate more than $478 million dollars in economic impact and more than 1,700 jobs in Georgia.

The CEWC Shotgun Range is located adjacent to the firearms range. The address is 543 Elliott Trail, Mansfield 30055. The range will be open from 10 am - 6 pm Tuesday through Sunday. Range users can purchase a round of 25 for $6.25 (purchases can be made at the CEWC Visitors Center).

Use of this range requires possession of a Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP) or other qualifying license prior to use. Be sure you have the appropriate license before visiting.

To learn more about the area, visit www.charlieelliott.org. For more information on Georgia's public ranges (archery, firearms, shotgun), visit www.georgiawildlife.com/hunting/archery-shooting-ranges.
    Melissa Cummings at 706.557.3326 or at Melissa.cummings@dnr.state.ga.us

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

So you cannot just go there and shoot, you need a "GORP" ??? Sounds just like government...

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'm a taken my shotgun,and shells elsewhere...........Gorp my ass.

What ??? Ya gotta have a GORP license to shoot trap in GA ???

I ain't knocking Ga, I just thought this was kinda strange for a public range to have so many regs just to shoot a round of trap.
    More Gov't.(in your pocket).I'm sure the tax payers paied for this complex anyway. BS..................Just strange

D.P.Reynolds

5. John 53

John 53 Member

Who does not need a GORP?
    Youth ages 15 and under.
    Adults 65 and older.
    Individuals who have a valid WMA License, Honorary License, Sportsmen’s License, Lifetime License or Three-Day Hunting and Fishing License.

General Information
    Effective January 1, 2012, a Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP) is required to use 32 properties managed by Wildlife Resources Division. (In all, Wildlife Resources manages more than 100 properties. GORP affects only one-third of the wildlife areas statewide.)

How much is a GORP license?
    Individual 3-Day: $3.50*
    Individual Annual: $19
    Small Group,* 3-Day: $10**
    Small Group,Annual: $35**

Sounds like a pretty good deal, and a lot less than most dues to trap ranges. If you want to play, you have to pay.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

For those of you that had negative comments let me explain a few things for you. In the past many people had access to state owned facilities that were being managed and maintained with monies obtained from Hunting and Fishing licenses. They could come and go as they pleased at no cost to them. Now, on these state owned facilities they must pay access fees that help repair and maintain the facilities. However, if you are a hunter or fisherman you most likely already have a pass to these facilities. For example, I have a lifetime license so only have to show my license if asked or anyone that has a Wildlife Management stamp has free access. As stated above most people already qualify for access to these facilities and I believe it is a good thing that the campers, hikers etc. help to defray the cost of maintenance.

Why do you have Obama ideas that what I'm paying for, you should have access to, on my money? Because of financial cutbacks we have lost many Wardens and some facilities and this will help to defray the cost of restoring the much needed repairs.

By the way, I am responding so you will better understand the program which I feel is a good thing. My initial response was not unlike yours until I got a better understanding. Jackie B.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Not the only state starting this.

By the way, paid $2 a head to enter the Markham Park in Florida this past winter to shoot registered trap. The $2 fee is charged on Saturday and Sunday only.

8. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

The shooting range on the north side of Knoxville TN is owned by the state of TN. It costs $6 per person to enter the range before the cost of shooting. I would be delighted to have an annual fee of only $19 to access all state facilities........
    Charlie

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Charlie, I found out about that while visiting my son in Knoxville last year. It's $6.00 a day or each time you go I believe. It made you want to shoot several rounds while you were there. It was a very nice facility. He has since moved back to Hot Lanta and is near a nice facilty on the S. east side out from the airport. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skeet range near melissa