1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shotgun pattern results question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by milkmaster, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

I bought a new 30" White Onyx Sporting 12 ga a few weeks ago and finslly got around to patterning the gun last weekend. Afterwards I shot a couple of rounds of trap to see how the recoil was and get used to the firearm. My scores on the first two rounds of trap were both 21 out of 25.

The picture will show you the results of my patterning session. The shots were 30 yards from the board and had a spread of 24" with only a few flyers outside that measurment. Left to Right the gun is dead straight as it should be. I pointed the shotgun at the board with the bead dead on a 3" hole you see marked with "point of aim". The aiming point ended up about 3 inches from the bottom of the pattern. I use this gun mostly for trap and I am not completely sure if the pattern is open or high enough. I don't know how open the pattern should be at 30 yards when shooting trap.

Could I get some constructive criticisms here from experienced shooters? I can add a cheek pad to bring it up a little more if needed.

Thanks Jerry in TN

[​IMG]

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Pretty good for any gun, especially a sporter. 21 out of 25 tells you nothing is wrong with this gun. You can add the pad when you're on the 27.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Looks really good to me.

Left/right is the critical issue. Up/down is a personal preference and depends on the "game" you are shooting.

Don Verna

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jerry, Your pattern looks right on. No problems at all. Now if you want to shoot a 30 pattern target that some shooters like to use you might want to open up your choke one size. I would then pattern that choke as well. Look at aleast 3 of them and then you see which pattern and choke you would like to use at that distance. You can do the same thing at your handicap distance as well. If you find a choke that does not give you a good pattern you can try to buy better grade of choke (or just a different one) as some chokes will pattern better than others. Do not go to crazy trying alot of chokes though. If you take a 30 inch pattern into 3 sizes a center l0 inch, and a middle 10-20 inch and a outer 20-30 inch ring you can break your pattern down. Try to add as many pellets to the 20-30 ring as you can without any holes in the middle 2 rings. Find a happy medium with chokes as not every pattern is perfect so don't go wild. Break-em all. Jeff

5. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I like your POI. With my face/eyes, I get 100/0 patterns from just about any gun manufactured since 1920, so I'm envious.

Pattern looks really tight for 16 yards (unless you're catching them a few feet off the ground), so you're doing just dandy at 21/25 without a fair amount of practice.

I'm a Gaussian pattern zealot & I'd be interested to run your pattern through the Shotgun-Insight model and my Excel models.

So, couple of questions--

What would you figure the number of flies outside 24" was? (1/10/100?)

What size paper were you patterning on? With my high patterning guns, I find that quite a few fliers escape over the top of the pattern board. They also escape to the sides if the paper is narrow.

Thanks, Wray

6. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

The patterning board was actually a sheet of steel that was painted with white paint after each shot. The board was 4 foot wide by 8 feet tall. The aiming point referred to in the drawing was actually a 2 inch hole in the center of the board. I actually counted the flyers outside the circle on each shot measured as you see drawn. Most shots would have 6 to 8 flyers. There was one shot that had 11, but it did not happen again. The exercise was a series of 12 shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

results shotgun pattern