1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new shot price

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brady509, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

At 1.64 per lb should I buy all I can? Or is there other info out there or places to purchase cheaper? I'm in Washington State.

Thank you all for your time,

Brady

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I have over 2 tons in my basement.I look at it this way,I dont think it will go down,better to have and not need than to need and not have.What have you seen go down in price?

3. dshot

dshot Member

It was $44.00 bag at the Va. state skeet shoot.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sterling. Your slab is sinking (I bet it is)

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

$39.95 at Cardinal. No gouging here yet.

Clyde

6. eff10mm

eff10mm Member

I am also in WA State. Rattlesnake has nice polished reclaim for 25/bag to members and 27 for non-members. I shoot it for everything but competition.

Craig

7. Brady509

Ya I also heard the reclaimer is coming back to get a lot of it. It didn't cost anything to reclaim it out of pocket and yet every club I know is trying to sell lead for way to much IMHO. Just sayin.

Last reclaim I purchased looked like it was ran through a rock crusher.

Not my cup of tea. Unless its at least half of new,

Brady

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

$37 for shot at the fall team shoot in MI. Branded EU. Comes from somewhere in Europe. Not sure of the hardness but he was selling the hell out of it. I couldn't find any info about it on line.

JK

9. Brady509

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Review your history....

If you have the storage space, money, desire to reload, it will be a good idea to stock large quantities of the components.

Curt

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I remember when a canvas 25 lb bag of shot was $7 to $8 in the early 70's...Boy am I getting old..

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Tugboat, I was paying 6 bucks a bag from 1969 to early 70's at the Gun Club on Base. I was a struggling A.F. buck Sgt. with a young wife who also shot. We used to pick up used wads and wash and dry them. Hulls were plentyful and powder pretty was cheap in those days. You could get a new 870 trap gun for about $175.00 Wholesale. of course I was making a 300 bucks a month including married rations pay in 1973! My how times have changed!!

14. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Curt,

By doing what you describe you risk being labeled a hoarder.

Pat

15. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Slide action...I remember those days. It was Frank Little who told me to pick up good used wads and wash them. Shot was just under $5 a bag. Did we do this to ourselves somewhat? Guys would shoot a bad score and decided they needed magnum shot which costs more when any shot will break targets at 16 yards. Did hoarding also create more demand and boost prices somewhat? Although I beleive it is the world metals market causing the largest increases. ed

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Back in 67 I bought my new Mustang Convert loaded out the door for $3,200, today that car is closer to $40,000, don't think hoarding was the cause of the increase

17. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I opened my shop in 2001, shot was selling for 11.00/bag Now I am selling it for 39.50/bag. Worst thing is I am still making the same per bag to stay competitive in the component sales market.

18. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

FYI, lead shot at $6 per bag in 1969 works out to about $38 per bag in 2013 dollars. Pretty interesting as that is fairly close. The website I used to calculate inflation is linked above.

19. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Back then, a dollar was worth about $1.6 million in today's dollars. Gasoline was 29 cents a gallon, if you recall, and you could get some fine glassware for a fill-up. Banks would happily give you a toaster if you opened an account.

But that's back before we had free healthcare and full time jobs.

20. thunder

thunder Active Member

Is the EU shot from Spain??? I heard about it at the Grand and was told would be around 36.00 a bag. This might give other shot companies some competition and start to drive the price down. The sport needs this as long as it is comparable quality.