1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooting Range in Indiana

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Just read an article by an outdoor writer in Indiana. He writes that the Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area has constructed a new shooting range on the grounds of Camp Atterbury. This range is located near Edinburg, a community between Indianapolis and Columbus.

The range is dedicated posthumously to a local soldier killed in action in Iraq.

This new range, consisting of a 66-position rifle and pistol range, and four combination trap and skeet fields came at the cost of $4.7 Million Dollars!

The DNR will be reimbursed for about 75% of the costs of construction through Federal Aid!?!

The range has a phone number to call for details (812-526-6552).

The complete article can be viewed at: www.bayoubill.com/shortshots.html

More details are available in his article, including directions, hours of operation, range rules, and fees. The fee for a round of trap or skeet appears to be $5.00

All-in-all, this sounds great, so I read on. If you wish to purchase an annual pass, you can shoot for half-price. An annual pass for an adult is $120.00 and $60.00, 16 and under.

I'm all for new places to shoot, but with almost every club in central Indiana struggling, it seems our government is working against us. Maybe not!?!

I did some math, and an adult shooting half price targets for $2.50 per round, would have to shoot 1200 targets that year to break even on the cost of the annual pass.

The fee of $5.00 a round is more than our small club charges, but we are in the early stages of re-structuring, and are very much struggling to maintain a shooter base.

I know there is a fine club near Columbus, run by volunteers who do a great job, and put on a fine shoot. I'm wondering if this new range will effect them?

What is your opinion. Have any of you had a similar situation? How did it work out?

Danny

2. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

"-------The DNR will be reimbursed for about 75% of the costs of construction through Federal Aid!?! ----------
    -------------------------------
    I'm all for new places to shoot, but with almost every club in central Indiana struggling, it seems our government is working against us. Maybe not!?!-------"

Federal Money-----we either use it or loose it.
    If there is another club close by support both of them . Shoot one club this week and the other next week . Can there really be such a thing as haveing too many places to shoot ?

3. Big Gun

Big Gun TS Member

If you are struggling to maintain a shooter base, you should consider starting an SCTP youth program. It is amazing how many parents and other adults will start shooting with the kids. Giving the kids their targets at cost during their SCTP practises pays off big. They will shoot at regular prices at other times. They are also willing to clean up after themselves, load targets, etc. Got to (www.nssf.org/sctp) and you can find your state director's contact information. He or she will be glad to help get you started.
    Gail Miller

4. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

Have been to the new shooting facility,very nice,The fellow running the trap is not new to shooting,back in his day he was all-American sub.jr. and Jr. and he can still shoot, last time he shot at Kingens he broke a 99 single and a mid 90's handicap shooting an old side by side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap and skeet ranges near columbus indiana