1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooting Range for Arizona

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grammie, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grammie

grammie TS Member

Gentlemen:

Many people have asked,,,"Is there going to be another Phoenix Trap&Skeet"??? Well,,,the short anwser is NO!!!

But---Maricopa County has approved a 3.4 million dollar contract with D.L. Withers Construction to begin work on the future Maricopa Shooting Park...

The Park will be located 10 miles south of Buckeye and west of Arizona 85,,,in an area surrounded by BLM land,,it will for police training and "public" shooters!!!

This most recent contract comes after approval of the entire 18.4 million dollar project in August,,the design phase is through Kramer One Inc. which designs shooting ranges!!

I went by the sight of the Old Phoenix Trap&Skeet last week,,,and heavy equipment was moving dirt on the front 8 acres,,,So that means,,something has happened,,but as of now has not been announced!!!

According to the last bit of information I got,,,,The money from the front 8 acres would be turned over to the county,,,in the same type of Deal that kept Spanish Fork,Utah in operation,,(run by the club but owned by the city),,,,I have no details on number of traps,,skeet fields,,sporting clays overlays,,None was announced as of yet....

Buckeye is about 20 minutes west of Phoenix,,,,Buckeye is going to be a "major" city in Arizona in the future,,,it is not the "sleepy" little town anymore,,,Upwards of 100,000 new citizens of Arizona have been moving in,,,and thousands of new homes have already been built,,,with many thousands more coming....

More info to come......

AKA Grammie..........

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's the most straght forward thing you've ever said, and I understand it.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

cool...and is they put in 48+ traps would the Spring Grand revert to there or is Ben Avery going to grow large ehough to host a satellite Grand...or Vegas??

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The announcement that grammie is speaking of is in todays (3-28-07) Arizona Republic and there is no mention of trap, skeet, or sporting clays ... This is a county project and is basically for training the police in the entire Phoenix and cirrounding area ... I have talked to some people who are involved with it from a distance from the Buckeye area and there has not been any mention of anything other than a tactical and target range being built in this area ... This by the way was the same place that we at the old Phoenix club were trying to get a committment on from the County officials and I personally went out there a number of times to meet with them and some of the people from the local Police Depts as well as the County Officials and they would not committ to anything which seems to have changed at least to some degree ... I made a few calls to see if there were any plans on including clay target sports and have not gotten any answers yet ... There is obviously more to come, but who knows what at this point in time ... They don't even know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. grammie

grammie TS Member

I process information as I see it,,,I generally don't need anyone to tell me what will be,,,So it is with a "cautious" tone I tell you this.....

It is in my mind,,,,that Tucson is going to see problems in the future!!! I do not wish it,,I like the club,,I like the people there,,,But----development is there now with much more to come,,,,take that for what its worth!!!

It is wholly possible that Ben Avery will possibly bid for the Spring Grand,,,and it is possible that this New shooting park will also,,,,We shall see.....

AKA Grammie.........

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I had the priveledge of shooting the '83 Spring Grand at the Phoenix trap and Skeet Club and had a wonderful time...and I still want to make it to another one, regardless of where it's held!!

Ron Burr

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

1. Any results posted on the AZ State Shoot?

2. What happened to the money from the sale of the frontage property at the old Phoenix Club?

8. grammie

grammie TS Member

Big Heap:

You have three choices,,,1. Money goes to a charity.. 2. Money gets turned over to county.. 3. Use your imagination...

AKA Grammie........

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was notified yesterday that the Board of the Phoenix Trap and Skeet Club have sent letters to all of the Life members and its regarding a meeting in the near future ... I was told that Suncor Corp. took the frontage road property and is paying the Phoenix Trap and Skeet Corporation a certain amount of money to make up the difference ... I have serious doubts that there will be enough money left after all of the lawsuits and bills that were paid out, plus the clean up and hauling away of the target matter mountain on the front 16 acres to put in a trap let alone a trap club ... I will post anything I hear about it on here to keep anyone and everyone who is interested informed ... I would imagine the back tax's on the property will eat up most of the money thats going to be left over being as I seriously doubt they have been being paid for the last 6 or 7 years ... Once it was rezoned and the front acreage turned into Commercial the tax rate would of been substancially higher than it was and it was rediculous when I was involved out there, to the tune of $34,000 and change per year as I recall for the entire place ...

The area near Buckeye where the proposed range is going in is and has been a make shift shooting range for the Police Depts. in and around the Phoenix area for a long time, its just never been developed and built into what they now propose to do with it ... Its very hilly and desolate desert, I know because I saw it with my own eyes on more than one occasion ... The proposed spot is just about a 1/4-1/3 mile south of I-10 and just west of SR 85 that takes you to Yuma and Algadones ... I will believe there will a trap club out in this part of the Buckeye area when I see it and not before ... The cost of excavating the area would be insumountable (sp) but you never know, you know ..? I have not heard that the Old Phoenix Trap and Skeet club will be involved in anyway ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. grammie

grammie TS Member

Tem miles south of Buckeye puts it in the Buckeye Hills Recreation area,,,just a bit north of that prison that made news awhile back.........

AKA Grammie.........

11. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

I hate to disappoint everyone, but I have a copy of the plans for the range that is going in at the Buckeye Hills Rec Area. The 2 (yes, two) trap/skeet overlay fields are not even part of the initial phase and will be added "at a later date."

The range that is being built will be a massive improvement over the existing range, but it will not be another Phoenix Trap and Skeet....more like another Peoria Rod & Gun.

Len in PHoenix

12. white rattler

white rattler Member

This sounds like a start in the right direction. As far as a place for the police to train and shoot all they have to do is work the west end of Phoenix. Or better yet have them set up a road block on highway 10 just east of Phoenix. Trevor Dawe.

13. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Bozo -

It's entirely possible that the plans could have been redrawn since my set was made. Mine are for contract #BH05-001 "Buckeye Hills Outdoor Public Shooting Range", are dated 4-19-2006, and were prepared by Arrington Watkins Architects. What is the date on the set you've seen?

Len

14. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

Also Pima County has a shooting facility in the works out on Houghton road near the fairgrounds. I don't know how many traps, but they were included. Maybe someone has some intel on that project. Mike

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.