1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooting glasses. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by moving1956, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moving1956

moving1956 TS Member

Just got back from the eye doctor with a new distance perscription guaranteed to improve my shooting.
    I've been using shooting glasses with no perscription.
    What brand should I buy and from who?
    I'm in Southern Calif.
    Paul Grisanti

2. happy

happy Member

Look through the post4 high definition glasses before you by. I sell them in Illinois but was AMAZED when I tryed them the first time. I can see the shot string hit the target a lot of the time and after useing the purple passion colr I have really shot well. I think it's the fact that I can see the target quicker than my compition and it highlights it well against most backgrounds. Norm Gilmoure

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

All the major glasses vendors offer a quality product - the bigger variable to ensure your success will be to find an optician who can dye lenses to enhance the targets you'll be shooting, compensating for any color defects you need to overcome.

Jay

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Decot "HyWyd"

John C. Saubak

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Ranger XLW's

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The Ranger Sporter frame is the hot ticket. They have clip on colored lenes. Then when its new Rx time you on replace the clear. They are super. Jake

7. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Post Four, great lenses and damn near overnite service even with RX.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

moving1956, my recommendation is to go to a shoot large enough to attract at least one of the Shooting Docs. Then try on all the different frames to see which is most comfortable. At $90 or $150 a set, you don't want to be remaking them if you decide on different frames later. Even if the lenses snap in, the optical centers will not be in the right place on the new frames. So try frames first, pick one, have the Doc adjust them to your face (bring your gun), then order your Rx lenses for that frame.

I went with Post4Optics because they use CR39 for all their lenses. That makes a big difference to me, so I suffered with a frame that never fit well, or was comfortable. At a recent shoot I decided to try other frames again. I've always liked the Randolf Engineering Ranger XL frames because they are semi wrap around and fit like a glove. Dr. Frank Rively said all his Rx lenses were CR39 (instead of polycarbonate), so I bought those frames, had them adjusted, and am waiting for my Rx lenses.

I'll also recommend you actually look through any color you are considering. People perceive colors differently. The "glow" colors do not work for me because they make the target go bright yellow, which makes it virtually invisible against a bright cloudy or hazy sky. Shooter Passion Purple is so dark it is only usable on a blazingly bright day, and even then it takes my eyes about 5 minutes to adjust. Don't even think about Bronze Glow unless you stare into lasers a lot. Only consider polarized lenses for dark tints. They just don't work well in lighter tints. For me the conventional Target Orange and Purple (Vermilion + gray) tints works best. YMMV.

9. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Allan Lehman at Lehman Optical. I believe he is in AZ. Carries all of the major brands and knows what clay target shooters need. Allan travels to most of the major shoots. Regards, Bob

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If bifocals is part of your prescription should you get the bifocal part of the prescription also or does it affect your sight picture when shooting?

11. WILL01..

WILL01.. TS Member

I believe if you shoot right handed and your master eye is the left one, then they recommend putting the bifocal on the left side so you can atleast read your score on the board.

12. moving1956

moving1956 TS Member

Thanks for all the input. Just got off the phone with Allan Lehman. Now for the hard part..waiting for priority mail.
    Paul Grisanti

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Your shooting glasses only need the RX for distance. Bifocals are unnecessary unless you cannot read the score sheet without them.

14. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

zzt, I see the same as you, the new High detention lenses make the bird look yellow as well. Did you not suggest a polarized Orange Ice? Does someone know who makes that lens color? I tried to find that post but was not able to. I still am looking for a bright sunny day lens. Bronze makes the bird look yellow, the New High Definition bronze as well. The new High Definition Shooter Passion purple makes the bird yellow and high lites the bird so much that it is fuzzy. 10tenner

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

10Tenner, I remember the previous thread, and we do see the same. I cannot use any of the "glow" colors for reasons we have already discussed. The two you mention, I own, but consider them unusable because of color effects, but primarily because they are so dark I have trouble adjusting to them.

Post4Optics Orange Ice Polarized does make the orange in the target go bright yellow, but it also makes the black band on NY and dome targets stand out. I find that very helpful here in the East. They work best when the sun is behind you and the backgrounds are dark. I don't like them at all on all orange targets or when the sun is in front or on the side. You will not find them on the Post4Optics web site, but they do make them. You have to call and ask, and you may have to wait until Mike gets another supply of the special polarized blanks. Since 2 of the 3 clubs I now shoot at throw all orange targets I've ordered a set of Rx Ranger Purple to try. They darken a blue sky and green foliage and make the target just slightly redder. The redder helps against clouds. I should get them today or tomorrow.

16. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ZZT, looks like the polarized Orange Ice will not help me. We have light background, and open sky background out west. I do use the true glow orange in the evening, and then switch to light target orange when it gets closer to dark. The true glow orange makes the bird yellow, and the light target orange make the bird more red, but the true glow orange is to dark for late evening. The shooter passion purple made the bird so bright that it looks fuzzy and I have a hard time seeing the black rim. Please post on the ranger Purple! 10tenner

17. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

bump for us blind guys. I just learned that a release trigger was different than the catch and release program I was blaming on my dropping a few rocks.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

10Tenner, here is your report on the Ranger Purple lenses.

I had Dr. Frank Rively give me an eye exam at the Keystone Open and then ordered a pair of Rx Ranger dark purple lenses. I told him I wanted 10% more transmission than the standard tint. They arrived yesterday and I tried them out at the Delaware State shoot. They darken a blue sky and also darken the sky at the horizon, even if there are a lot of clouds or haze. They mute dark greens such as leaves and grass, but do not mute green targets or green fluorescent sights. The target is enhanced in color and in contrast. The black rim stands out, but not to as great an extent as with the Orange Ice Polarized. The orange of the target is very, very slightly darkened. All in all I like them a lot.

400 targets isn't a thorough test, but I like the color. The darker sky and grass and leaves make a darker background. The purple really shows off the target, especially against the darker background. I'm sold.

I did have a lot of adjusting to do. The new lenses are a little stronger than my old ones and the color is way different. Through these Rx Purple lenses the rib is blacker, the front sight is sharp and very white and I can see the middle bead instead of a little silver sparkle. That added up to a whole lot of distracting crap in my line of sight.

I also tried the Ranger Vermillion today. Same brightening effect as the OIP, but without making the orange of the target go yellow. It just lightens and brightens the orange. I think that will be my next color.

19. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Ranger XLW's get my vote.

Hubcap

20. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

zzt, thanks for the info, I have use Decot's target Sun #70, which is a purple, but any clouds blocking the sun, I had a difficult time seeing the bird. I will have to look into getting a set of these lenses. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.