1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Shooters ~ What's Most Important?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

NEW Shooters ~ What

I'll be running my first of the season Ladies Introduction to Shotgun Shooting Clinics this weekend. Besides gun safety, what do you think are the most important things to teach a new shotgunner? Do you think a diagram of how the targets come out of the trap house and fly are helpful? I've been doing this for about 7 or 8 years and am always looking for new hints. Thanks!

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A number of YouTube videos available. Pick a couple and show them in the classroom.

I have several videos for women posted on the womens page of my website.

http://www.losttarget.com/claysforwomen.html

Just a sample of what is available. A bit of searching and you should be set to go.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Not that I probably have to actually say this, but running a ladies program, is different than having a Co-Ed and very different than a mens program... ladies taught by ladies would be a must for success... and future mentoring.

I have found that ladies are very visual - I would offer them a visual aid and I have a couple for you... if you'd like a PDF of Trap or Skeet, send me PM with an email address.

I would also make up a shopping list... the equipment you need and price ranges... a what's next list, a ladies to ladies contact list... these things don;t work JUST for the ladies, but in my experience ladies seem to appreciate them more...

As for the targets... as with anyone I instruct - get up close to get them breaking them FAST... than back up to increase the difficulty...

Best wishes on your program,

Jay

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sounds like you already have a pretty good list of your own. The only things I might suggest would be.

1st really friendly--patient & knowledgeable instructors & as per spitter lady instructors if possible.

2nd. a good selection of equipment to loan--ie. guns-vests-low recoil ammo-etc. as many will not have anything that fits "them" and you want the first experience to be very positive. GOOD LUCK Ross Puls

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A well developed plan to keep the newbees interested. Follow up with free "on the line" instruction and Q.&A. in the clubhouse. Make them feel like they can ask you any question without embarasment.

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

#1 lowest recoiling ammo available with proper fitting gun, period #2 good ear protection #3 eye protection. All gun safety, gun mounting, loading instruction should shown off the line and away from the general population Don't do all of these you'll lose them forever. Above all, make it fun, I think you know that.

Surfer

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

#1 lowest recoiling ammo available with proper fitting gun, period #2 good ear protection #3 eye protection. All gun safety, gun mounting, loading instruction should shown off the line and away from the general population Don't do all of these you'll lose them forever. Above all, make it fun, I think you know that.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.