1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW SHOOTERS-PLEASE USE SOME COMMON SENSE!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have now seen it all. i was at the area gun club last weekend. a new guy picked up a gun that didn't belong to him without asking the owners permission. the owner was not to happy and told the guy his feelings about what he just did. i told the guy, almost all shooters will let someone shoulder their guns, if you ask permission. he didn't seem to understand what the big deal was? are we making to much of this? i think this is proper etiquette at a gun club. i also told the guy, even if he would get the owners permission, never dry fire the gun. would you seasoned shooters get upset if someone did this to you without your permission?
    steve balistreri

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    New shooters? Hell, I've seen some 'seasoned' shooters do this as well.

It ain't whether someone is a newbie or not. It's that they don't have common courtesy.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

For every experienced shooter I've seen do stoopid stuff, I've seen 5 more newbies, usually hunters.

Hunters are the absolute worst. Not all...just the, "I haven't hunted in years, it's time for my one day a year in the woods" types. I'm surprised more of them don't kill themselves.

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

You can touch my wife but dont you dare touch my gun without my permission!!

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Steve,
    Perhaps the guy didn't understand the high cost of some of the finer examples of trap shotguns and didn't realize the investment he was picking up just out of curiosity. Not an excuse of course, I don't understand how anybody will feel it is okay to pick up someone else's property without asking first. You would think he might want to get to know the person a bit before doing something like that.

Mike

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I dunno how it is elsewhere, but I'd put our newbie youth shooters up against the average (and note the word average) adult huunter any day of the week.

Our hunters safety course, mandatory for youth, is tough and thorough. Anyone with common sense and the desire to learn can pass it.

I was tough as nails on both of my kids for gun safety. Consequently, they get invited to hunt "any time" by adults I know, and in particular those with dogs (and you know how dog owners worry about stray pellets). They're disiplined enough that they have passed up shots on game because the shot was not 100% safe. 99% does not cut it in my book.

There is no excuse for slob hunting or lack of safety.

BTW, I took the course too, so I would be on the same exact page as the kids. A lot has changed since I took hunters safety in the early 1970s. (I had to pass hunters safety before my parents even let me have a BB gun.)

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lets propose a new ATA rule: "All shooters must have and use common sense". That would make some interesting complaints for the EC to ponder.

Pat Ireland

PS- I would think it is impolite to pick up another's personal property without permission, but I am not really offended if someone pick up my gun without asking me.

8. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

The problem is that common sense is not so common anymore. Just look at all of the product warning labels that appear on almost everything that you buy. I even have a wood splitter that has a label saying " Do not straddle while in use!" Does this mean that somebody was stupid enough to actually straddle a wood splitter? ( And then had the balls to sue? Pun intended.) We have tried to legislate common sense and wound up making it a rare commodity.

9. oz

oz Active Member

most of the dings in all shotgun stocks happen in the gun racks at shoots. oz

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I think all People enterested in shooting of any type should take the time to go to gunshows and take a lesson from the guy's behind the tables.

Type AAA, IF you don't have the money in your pocket don't even bother to look at his table

Type AA, Don't even try to turn over the upside down price tag, you will get your hand slapped

Type A he will grugingly hold it up for you to look at in his hand

Type B After you have looked asked a couple of times you may hold the gun he hands, he will also reoil and wipe the gun down afterwards

Type C, ask and you can handle anything on the taple

Type D, there here to be foundled just do it!

Basic lesson learned: be polite and ask first, even the type D guy that will let everyone handle every gun on his table appreciates that.

Then take the lesson everywhere else, just because I left my gun in the rack by the pro shop, while I pick up shells or whatever I may need right then, does not mean I left it there for anyone handle.

Al

PS if I missed a TYPE, feel free to add it

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ignorance of gun manners and sportsmanship seems to have disappeared in a lot of circles these days. Those guys some call "hunters" violating another's space or belongings? They're not hunters in a sportsman's code of ethics, slob practitioners may be more fitting. It's up to us to educate new faces to our sport, but, to do that, you have to be smart enough to recognize ignorance and willing to help. Not at all like it once was in organized trapshooting and thats too bad for our organization. We need all we can garner! I do agree with my friend Pat Ireland and his view on this. Hap

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

This is exactly why I don't bring my car with me if I go to a car show. It's pretty simple to me that if you don't own it, don't touch it.

13. nicky

nicky Member

Steve I sure don't have a problem telling someone how or when they can look at my Kolar. I'll ask someone to remove or watch their rings, no shouldering the gun if they have a coat with a zipper thats layed over, ect.. It's hard enough to keep a gun that you use every week in good condition without inviting dings and dents. Handling guns almost everyday we all put marks and dents in them accidently, there is no shame in trying to protect your investment. The other thing is never put your gun in a rack unless you are standing right beside it. If I can't be in arms length of my gun I won't put it down, I'll hold it.

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

What if the gun has a Fore Sale message attached to it or sticking out of the barrel and is setting in the gun rack? What if the gun is on a table with a fore Sale sign on it and the owner is not apparent?
    Post-2

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I don't think this has anything to do with guns or shooting/hunting. Would you get into a stranger's car to see how it feels? or walk into his house to see the decor? or get into his boat and take it for a ride without permission? maybe pick up his $1500 fly rod and whip it around? or maybe ask his wife to make love just to see if you'd like it? I DON'T THINK SO. It's about common courtesy and respect for our fellow humans.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Two or three guys I have shot with for the last forty years can (but don,t) pick up my gun and shoot it anytime . I keep my gun in my car and never put it in a rack when not useing it . It took to long to get to the point in my life that I can buy any gun I would like to have it dinged by anyone .

17. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

How come all I see in your car is Mossberg and Stevens? When you gonna shoot skeet with us? The furniture guy says you and your buddy can shoot skeet with us anytime you think your up to it. couldn't make it last Wednesday. Got stuck at work.

18. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

WesleyB,

Please post photo of your wife.

19. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Senior Smoke -

When you see a car you like with the keys in it, do you decide to fire it up and take a lap or two around the lot just because you always wanted one of them, or, would you maybe ask the owner first? Be it car, gun or girlfriend, any man that handles anothers belongings without first asking is looking to get his a** thumped. Common sense and common courtesy here.

Jeff

20. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Not to be contrarian, but I’ve had two ribs dinged while in the rack by older shooters, not the young guys. One was by an older gentleman fumbling to get to the line (late), the other by a man who picked my gun up to look at it (without asking) and then set it back hard enough to dent the rib between supports. Our younger shooters love to look at and shoot different guns but I have never seen them touch a gun without asking.

Courtesy is not age related nor age limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.