1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lt suamico, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lt suamico

lt suamico TS Member

I am a relativly new trap shooter and would like to start reloading. What type of powder and wads should I use? I have AA and STS hulls. lt suamico

2. davnport

davnport Member

Here's a place to start..
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Red Dot, Figure 8 and TGT12, but only if you want to shoot a lot of 100s. HMB

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It is recommended you have someone show you the ropes. You should always weigh your powder and shot bushings so you know your safe. Don't go by what some one tells you, always weigh it.

If you go the Alliant manual, you will see loads for Red Dot when you enter it as the powder you want to use. You then enter the Hull, wad, and primer you wish to use. For example, a Remington STS hull with Reddot powder, and winchester primer requires 18 grains of Red Dot powder to get 1145 feet per second, which is a great 16 yard load.

5. maka

maka Member

Saumico: Just for general info. Are you in NE WI. Many years ago there was a AKC sactioned BEAGLE Club in that area. Now, back to reloading, select one hull. Second, powder choice. Most important buy a scale so you can check your drops. When ever you buy your components, ask for a powder pamphlet. They are free. Good luck.

6. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Ask around your club to get a feel for what others are using. While I agree that red dot is a good powder I do feel that there are some others worthy of mention,like green dot which is what I primarily use.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.