1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Baber, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shooting singles with an O/U does not handicap you. Mike Herman ran a 300x300 last year with a 30" Perazzi MX8 o/u Bunker gun. It did not handicap him.

TB

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bill: I agree with your thinking. The 687 O/U will do it all for you and as you state, you can always purchase a single barrel for the gun at a later date if you wish. I purchased an unsingle for my 682 O/U; last year. If it weren't for the fact that I purchased the barrel from a fellow shooter at a very good price; I would still be shooting the O/U. Good Luck. Ed

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There are a lot of very fine shooters, long yardage, high classes, always threats to win events that use an O/U for singles, handicap, and doubles. In my opinion the O/U is the #1 choice for one-gun-for-all budgets. Don't rush to go for the combo or a second gun.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Hi,

I've been there and done that so you get my 2C: Firstly, try your sporting gun at doubles. I always shot my best doubles with a sporting clays gun; I did not have the talent to shoot consistent doubles with a high shooting gun; when I treated doubles as sporting clays shots I could average over 90% easily and sometimes would come in with a class winning 96 or so with a Browning GTI 30" that really didn't fit me; I had to cant it!!! So try your sporting model gun out first, it may surprise you.

Secondly, I once had a 682 Beretta. Couldn't hit my hat with the heavy unsingle, did very well with the 34" top single. If this is still the case, both barrels balance very differently and the top single appeared to be the way to go, fancy high rib nonwithstanding. And the top single did not give any more or less felt recoil than the unsingle. I did have the forcing cone lengthened, and gun was a pussycat. Wish I'd kept her, but I was dumb and young and impulsive..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.