1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW SHOOTER!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cddiver, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cddiver

cddiver TS Member

I have been hunting since I was little and I was involved in 4-H trapshooting and had a blast.
    I live in Montgomery Co. Ks.
    I would like to start competing in trapshooting contests.
    What would be the best way for me to get started, and how do I find out where contests are held to go and compete?
    Sorry if these questions are weird but I am new and want to join the fun!

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Check out shootata.com and use the "shoots near me" feature to search by zip code.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Go to the site "Rich219" provided also posted above and join the ATA and check with local clubs for their registered shoots schedule as well. Often someone at the local clubs would be happy to get you going again.---Matt

4. cddiver

cddiver TS Member

So do I need to join ATA to be able to shoot at competitions?
    Is their any money to be won by Trapshooting?
    I have been on the "Shootata" website and I dont really understand how to read the flyers... like the different classes and stuff?

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Don't worry about joining the ATA just yet. Find a local club that has a trap field or two and get involved at that level first. The shooters at that club will likely know of other clubs in the area that hold trap events. There are usually several competitions held at local clubs without getting involved in the ATA. If, after you have gotten your feet wet with local competition you want something more structured then you may want to get involved with registered ATA trap. JRM

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Exactly as Perga says. Bulge.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How old are you?

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

cddiver, you can contact pheasantmaster (Martin), puddleduck (Harlan), missedsome (Mark), ksshooter (Travis)...all of them are posters here on ts.com that are heavily involved Kansas trapshooting. You can also take a look on the website above and find a listing of clubs as well as phone numbers for the KTA president and VP. You can call them and they can give you the contact information for your zone director, who can help you get started (they will probably direct you to someone in your area).

I have only lived in Kansas for a year, so I wouldn't be of much help yet.

9. cddiver

cddiver TS Member

Im 20 and I have shot trap before from 4-h and I went to Newton, Ks for the state shoot so I kinda already have my feet wet.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To answer the "do i need to join the ATA" question, the answer is NO. If you want to compete in the vast majority of trap shoots including the State shoots etc. you must be an ATA member. The vast majority of the trap shoots in my area are registered(ATA) shoots and require ATA membership. Your area and clubs may be different. The shoot pamplets are not as complicated as they may seem. You really only need to worry about the Entry Fees section. Most of the other stuff is the gambling aspect of the game. Good luck.---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.