1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter would apperciate your thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnx121, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnx121

johnx121 TS Member

I'm new to trap shooting and this forum. I have Been shooting for 2 months now and the only gun i have is a Bt99 34inch barrel. I have had some work done to it. Adjustable comb adjustable butt plate. Befor the work i shot any where from 17 to 21 a round. After the work i stay from 21 to 23.

I want to buy a cynergy classic combo. A friend has 1 for a good price $2500. Should that be my next step? Or is there a better gun in that price range? I do want to try sporting clays thats why i want the combo. Any advice would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks John

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Cynergy combo is a good gun. I, personally, went with the XT (non-combo). I now shoot it for everything... even sporting clays and skeet. There are a lot of people that use a field or sporting gun gun for skeet and clays, but I do a lot better when I use my XT.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

John:

IMO new shooters should focus on 16 yard singles and shoot light recoil loads. 1 oz loads of 8's atb 1180 fps are fine. Stay away from the promotional 1 oz. loads as these are loaded at 1290 fps and have noticably increased recoil.

That said, Rick's comments about gun fit are spot on.

You will probably get many comments but, since you are a new shooter, I suggest that you focus on more on technique than on scores.

If I could go back in time 40 years and get three pieces of advice they would be as follows.

1. Focus my eyes at infinity and keep my eyes on the target, never looking at the barrel.

2. Pull the gun back to my shoulder and use the pistol grip to firmly hold the gun and to push the gun into my cheek. This helps me keep my head down.

3. See the bird well before I move to the bird smartly and break it.

The first 25 is the hardest. It and many more will follow.

Ed Ward

Ed Ward

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ed is showing you his patented "name flinch"

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Keep the BT-99 and don't be afraid to buy and try something else. But a BT-99, Model 12, 870, TM-1 etc. in classic trap configurations are all approiate to keep in the trap toolbox since they are all so standard and work for so many.

My bias, and I suggest I'll throw this out there: The BT-99 is a whippy gun; by that, the barrel can move very quickly. If you are a big strong person, in particular, I imagine it would really give problems. I had a BT-99 and I finally figured that out with an "Ah-Hah" experience. Added 2 oz weight to end of barrel and all worked so much better. So if BT-99 takes you to a wall in scores, look to whippiness wherein it is hard to control the muzzle at the "kill" nono-second while shooting.

Others find this?

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

21 to 23 inside of 2 months is damn good in my book. I would look at how easy it is to sell the cynergy when your done with it before making a decision.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

John,

If you are interested in an excellent beginners/intermediate book about trap shooting, I strongly recommend Dick Bennett's "Trapshooting is a Game of Opposites." It is available from a number of sources, one of which is shotgunsports.com in their book section for $19.95 plus shipping.

The book contains very useful information on shooting form, vision, 16-yard and handicap targets, and many other elements pertaining to trap shooting.

Rollin

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, I looks like you enjoy shooting Brownings. So I would stay with that and go down to a local gun shop and try the XT Trap, XS Sporting, XS Skeet, and the 525 or the 625 sporting, your friends gun, and see how you like the way they fit. "For me" I will find a spot on the wall, close my eyes and bring the gun up to shoulder and head and line it up the way it feels good. Then while still remembering where that spot is, line the gun up to it as I shoulder it. Then Open your eyes and see if gun is pointed at that spot and if you are looking down the barrel and lined up on it. Do this to all of them and buy the one that come up the best for you. You'll know it when you find it. All Brownings shoot the same POI so the name does not mean much on the gun. Most skeet shooters will use a 28 or 30 inch gun, Trap shooters like a 30 or 32 inch, and sporting clays like a 30 to 34 inch gun. So if you think you will ever like to try skeet get a 30 inch barrel, if not get a 32 inch barrel. I got a 30 inch barrel myself because I wanted a gun to shoot all three and it works great for me. Best of Luck and Break-em all. JEff

9. racer

racer TS Member

Please buy yourself a Phil Kiner Video. My opinion on the o/u would be to buy a used XT. Probably will still be a desirable gun 10-15 yrs from now, maybe not so much for the Cynergy.... Dan

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I would not buy the Cynergy,Browning had problems with them.I would go to a well stocked gun shop that specializes in trap guns and try the various models there before you buy anything.You will be investing upwards of $2000.00 for a new gun or $1500.00 for something used and it would be best to see what feels best to you.I prefer a Citori O/U Monte Carlo with 30" barrels.I have tried a BT-99 but it just didn't feel right,Berettas felt too light and I looked at several other guns but found myself back with a Citori.If you are breaking 23 with the BT now,you certainly should be able to break 25,and may not even need a new gun.Shoot each target one at a time,stay focused and it will come.My thoughts.

11. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

I have a friend that shoots a Cynergy, broke his first 100 straight this past year. However be careful it's hard to find someone to work on them without sending it back to the factory. Remember it's not the name of the gun that counts it's the score that counts! Good luck to you and enjoy the sport.

12. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

John, The cynergy classic guns are sleet and easy to shoot. As philfirst said, its the score that counts. Handle the XT also and shoot them if possible. A feature of most 'trap guns' is they tend to be longer in barrel and so slower to swing on target. Trap is a game of small movement in comparison to sporting clays.Sporting target presentations come from all crazy angles and so the small details of a gun's design might favor one game over another. A BT99 is very popular in 'one shot' games. You can go far with it. Learn a lot before you spend a lot. Regards, The TinMan

13. johnx121

johnx121 TS Member

Thank you for all the help. I am going to look into the books. There is a couple of guys at the club that have helped me greatly. My first time ever shootin trap i used my cousins bretta, and i i shot 7 and 9 that sunday. Tuesday i went out and bought my Bt99 and and right away shot a 17. 2 months latter i had a guy from the club fit me and now its great. I am 6'4" and 350lbs, so the gun needed to be lenthened and i need my face over as much as it could go. So now I want to step up to the next level gun and i know have the opportunity to buy the Cynergy, I can always step up to the next level gun. I want to start slow. I know its the shooter and not the gun. Sorry for rambling on just wanted to put everything out there.

I am going to shoot a couple guns at the club this weekend. Befor i wouldnt try anyones gun cause i didnt want to ruin my scores. I wanted to only shoot my gun to learn it better. But now that i want a new gun i will try a bunch. I will keep the Bt99. I own it there is no reason to get rid of it. I will keep it as a spare and when i recruit buddys to come.

I understand there is problems with everything nothing is perfect. And everyone is going to like a certian brand.

Again thanks for all the help John

14. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

John, You have mail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.