1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter with questions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PhilG, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Hello, just started shooting trap and really enjoy it. I am shooting a gold 20 for now and wanted to know what shell would be best? Also choke? I am hoping to get a bt99 in the future but for now my bird gun will do! Thanks for all the help! Phil Gordon

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Phil,

You are really pretty limited on ammo choices for the 20 ga. Maybe some of the promotional loads in 7 1/2's or 8's.

Step up your savings plan for that 12 ga. and you'll be a happier camper much sooner. Plus you won't need to worry about saving 20 ga. MT's if your plan is to move up to a 12.

For example, and I've told this tale B4, when I started trap shooting in the late 80's all I had was a Win 20 ga. semi auto. Best I ever managed was 22's and 23's. I saved my nickels and dimes and scraped together enough to buy a 12 ga. Mossberg pump gun. The second box of ammo through that gun scored me a 25. I guess shot quanity does matter. The next year I was into a BT-99 and have stayed with break open guns ever since.

With all that being said, you can still practice your technique with that 20.

Welcome to the sport and good luck.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Thanks alot i do feel like i am a little bit handicapped with the 20. I do have a 835 mossberg i could shoot, also have a ithaca 37 in 16 gauge that i would love to shoot but who can afford ammo for those these days!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

welcome to the sport. The 20 is not the trap gun you will be shooting before long but we all started somewhere. Just enjoy shooting & it will all fall into place.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The Federal game loads at Wal Mart work well and are relatively cheap. That 20ga will break everything, just need to point it right.

Robert

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Phil, The standard 7/8 oz load of lead shot at the standard speed of 1200 fps is a normal target load in the 20 ga. I'd try to use #8 shot as that will work fine for you all the way back to the 27 yard line this time of year. The walmart 4 packs are a priced well. Also some nice Federal loads at Dicks or Gander Mountain are good places to check as well. Unlike the 12 ga. loads in most of these places that have the 3 dram 1200 fps load that alot of shooters try to avoid because of the added recoil in the 12 ga. You will find the stadard 20 ga. load fine when it comes to recoil and I don't think you'll miss any extra targets if your shooting a mod. choke out of your gun at the 16 yard line as well. Just enjoy shooting and have fun, meet new people and try to improve your shooting as you go. The rest will fall into place when your ready. Break-em all. Jeff

7. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Thanks to all i am really looking forward to participating in the sport. I have always taken all my extra time for bass fishing, but with gas prices and the lack of friends in the sport it has become more of a task than a hobby! I have always loved shotgunning and don't know why it has taken me this long to come to the sport. Also, with my 12 yo son starting to take a huge intrest in shooting and hunting it only makes sense to begin the journey! Thanks Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.