1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter - What to Shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MX10Newbie, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX10Newbie

MX10Newbie TS Member

I'm planning to attend as many events as I can this year. Since I'm pretty new, should I just stick to singles and handicap? I've tried doubles once, but it was a disaster. Should I wait to shoot doubles and not waste 100 shells or just jump in? What has been your experience? Paula

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I would not wait to doubles. Do some at your local club, practice, and go for it! My bet is that you will like them!

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

If you can swing it, do it.

4. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Doubles are by far, the most fun, but they do take some practice. The only way to learn is to shoot them at ATA shoots as most clubs don't throw them for pratice. Having said that, get a handle on the 16s, then the caps & then the doubles. If you are having trouble praticing the basics with 1 target, trying to do it with 2 is going to be more frustrating. Not trying to dicourage you, just try to get you solid on the basics 1st. Trust me, DOUBLES ROCK!

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Bob's advice is very practical. Walk before you can run.
    Clyde

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

There's a pretty famous shooter out there that has said ..

Shoot singles for fame , Handicap for money , and doubles for fun.

Shoot what you can afford and have fun doing it.

7. MX10Newbie

MX10Newbie TS Member

Thank you all for the input. I can't wait for the weather to warm up (yes, it's too cold for me right now). I'll keep working on the singles and try to have fun with doubles. Paula

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting, I was told by a very good doubles shooter, to only shoot 16 yd. the first year. You should obtain your shooting technique, and skills first, before you try other events. This is because without the proper technique the others will be that much more difficult, and frustrating to accomplish.

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Singles and handicap first as others have said. I've only shot doubles a few times in my years of trapshooting. Besides, shooting doubles with a TM1 is a bit challenging to say the least....

10. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

As stated above first 16's then capps last doubles, With that said doubles are by far the most fun, if you want pride 16's, money capps fun doubles.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"Singles for show, handicap for dough, and doubles for fun"

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Years ago, I could shoot doubles "ok" without embarassment. Can't now. I think I know why...years ago I found sporting clays to be if not the only practice for doubles, the best cross training for me. Shooting sporting clays, I could consistently break into the low 90's in doubles. Now I'm lucky to break a 40/50 in doubles. For me, anyway, doubles is an easy sporting clays pair and a difficult thing (due to timing and gun handling "rust") without sporting clays or doubles practice. Just can't "flash em" at all, never could.

Anybody else find a similiar situation, i.e., sporting clays at pairs to make doubles much more doable and natural in feel?

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

I would recommend getting to a clinic to build on what you know already, rather than try to get rid of bad techniques later on. With that said, short yardage caps is't much different than singles, and once you are shown the a method to shoot doubles (hold positions) they aren't really hard to pick up.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Get your singles average up to 93+ before trying doubles.

This is an expensive sport and shooting doubles gets expensive. You will have plenty of fun (and challenge) in the first year or two shooting singles and HC.

Don Verna

15. Garry

Garry Active Member

Paula, welcome to the great sport of trapshooting.

As a new shooter just starting out, I would highly recommend you spend the money and attend a trapshooting school by one of our highly successful trapshooters as soon as possible. This will save you a lot of time, money and frustration in the long run and put you on the fast-track to achieving your full potential.

All-American and trapshooting instructor Phil Kiner believes that most women shooters have a problem with cross eye dominance. A good instructor can tell you if you have a cross eye dominance problem and can offer suggestions including shooting with one eye closed versus both eyes open.

Maybe you know of Nora Ross-Martin. Nora has been on the Women's All-American trap team many times. Nora is a one eye shooter and a trapshooting instructor.

So my answer to your question of what to shoot first is to ask your professional trapshooting instructor.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider a clinic by Phil Ross/Joe Dillard particularly if you are on the West Coast/Western States. Their home club is at Redlands, California. Both shooters are highly accomplished (both have grand slams under their belts) and have been shooting a long, long time.

You can look up Phil's accomplishments as a shooter at the California Golden State Trapshooters Assoc. website under Hall of Fame. One year, Joe was the Georgia State singles champion for the year..

Phil has shot longer than almost anybody, he is a veteran, not yet a senior vet., but has shot IN seven decades going back to the 50's. In fact, I think he won something (again, three days ago) at a league shoot from the 27.

Both are "The Old Masters" as Ed Pink is to hot rodding/engine building. Joe is a relative youngster and, I believe, not yet a veteran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.