1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter - What is the best Trap shot 7 1/2 or

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnjjk, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjjk

johnjjk Member

Can someone help with insight into the benefits of shooting 7 1/2 or 8's?

I have been shooting 8's and my scores have steadly improved (started at 5's now 19 to 22).

I tend to be a slow shooter, birds go out further than a lot of good shooters I see.

So any info would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance!

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

OMG...That's a nice Minn-Kota you've got there...what kind of battery do you use?

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You might get a better answer at a pattern board.......see which seems to pattern best & go with it until you move back to around 22yds, then most seem to believe you need the added pellet energy of 7 1/2's.

4. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Leo shoots 7 1/2 for everything and Harlan shoots 8's for 16's and doubles, 7 1/2 for h'cap. So, there is two of the best??? Who knows best...

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

9's. Really smokes 'em from the 16 line, which, I assume, is where you're at. Try them, you will really be surprised. Get some from a sk**t shooter.

6. howie

howie Member

It's not a issue of shot size, but what work best in your gun and gives you the most uniform pattern. You can break targets with either shot size. For beginners, #8 shot is a good all around choice. As you improve and your handicap yardage moves out beyond the 23- or 24-yard line you might consider 7 1/2 s, but again it is what works best for you ad your gun.

7. 3357

3357 Member

OK, I'll bite, if 7.5s work well from the 27 yd line (and they do) then pellet count is not that important. 7.5s work well at any yardage in trap.

If you put the lead ON the target it will break.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

As a new shooter, don't get hung up on something that makes very little difference to your shooting right now. If you are looking at a choice between 8's and 7-1/2, go with the 8's for both your 16's and handicap. You won't be shooting beyond the 22 yard line to start and you will find the 8's will break em' just as easy from the 16 to the 22. It's easier to find 8's than it is 8.5 or 9's, in most cases. Keep it simple, don't get your mind wrapped up around triva stuff like this. Work on your style, form and concentration of breaking the bird, Whatever shot you use will take care of the rest. Use 2-3/4 dram loads for both your 16's and 22 yard shooting When you start moving backwards towards the 27, you might want to go with a 3 dram load.

At 40 yards, 8's in a 3 dram 1-1/8 load have a velocity of 660 feet per second and retained energy of 1.04 foot pounds. At 40 yards, 7.5 size shot in a 3 dram 1-1/8 oz load has a velocity of 675 feet per second and 1.26 pound of retained energy. Reaching the 27 is because of good shooting, not the difference between 8's and 7-1/2.

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I recently shot the International Trap at the Cardinal Center. I used 7/8 ounce of 8's @ 1300fps. I needed 14 second shots to break a 21. If 8's will break the Int'l target that far out it will certainly break a trap target from the 27 all the way to the ground. That said you have to shoot whatever gives you the confidence that you will break the target. JRM

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rick Barker, you made a very informative post and helpful to those not in the know concerning how our game is shot best! It's seems some of our site gurus feel every new poster finding this site is a troll? Running people away with smartazz remarks sure helps everyone!

Hap

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I recall the late Art Blatt recommended 7.5's for everything since he felt target quality would vary; not presentation, but "cheaper" targets take more energy to break. One wonders...I do know that Phil Ross, who won vet handicap from the 27 at the California State Shoot last month, used 3 dram 8's "promo shells" purchased at Wal-Mart. And this from the 27. He obtained a 98/100; one wonders would he have had a 99 or 100 had he used more expensive shells loaded with 7.5's? "We" will never know and that's kinda neat for bench racing in the future.

----and there may be another issue: Uniformity of shot size in any load...maybe some "8's" are made up of, technically, 50% 7.5's and vice versa! And remember those duplex loads Remington had on the market?

---David

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've never commented on this before, but what the heck, it's 5:50 Sunday morning. I use:

8's for 1 ounce= 412 pellets,

7-1/2 for 1-1/8 ounce= 393 pellets. Wayne

13. johnjjk

johnjjk Member

WOW!!!

Thanks for all the information.

I now have a new insight with different shot. Great points on muzzle Energy as a factor in breaking targets.

I will just have to experiment with the different sizes. I will try to get some 8 1/2 and 9.

I did not get the "comment?" by buzz-gun. I presume it was some kind of joke but I missed it.

Thanks again for all the POSITIVE comments. I find this forum a great place and very surprised to see how many people are willing take the time and effort to share their knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.