1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter trap BT99, what choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GGib, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGib

GGib TS Member

Haven't shot a shotgun in 50 years, want to try trap, have access to BT99. What choke should I start out with? I assume you eventually get to full as your skills improve.
    Thanks ahead for your opinions...
    George

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Use a full choke for singles AND handicap.

Trap-4

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Here we go again. Answers will be MOD, IM, and FULL. All will work well for singles with MOD being my favorite. Long yardage - FULL. Marc

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Start with full, that way you'll know when you're pointing right. Plus you'll have a little extra breaking power if you hesitate once in a while while you're developing your skills.

-Gary

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Generally, trap guns with fixed chokes will come with full chokes. With the advent of guns with choke tubes the shooters have had the ability to do some fiddling with the idea of others. I happen to like Imp. Mod. chokes on O/U guns and with tubes if I had the choice. I generally shot my best scores at singles and handicap back to 26 yards with the Imp. Mod. on several different guns. I'm no longer competing so take the advice with a grain or two of salt. I believe it was a matter of confidence by experience for me. Try what chokes you have with your new gun and see if one or the other seems to soundly blow targets to heck and stick with it. You can find they MAY not shoot in precisely the same way with your swing and techniques......breakemall

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

You're not going to know for sure unless you take that gun, the load you're going to use and shoot at a pattern board with the different chokes. My BT99 shoots pretty flat and I find an IM choke (Briley) to work best for me.

Rich

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

full, full and if your still not sure, I'd recommend full! (lol)

Jay

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't believe nobody said "FULL". After all, that's what you should put in and throw away the wrench. :)

9. soundaround

soundaround Member

GGib, since you obviously know that full (which depending on gun and choke manufacturer that could be .030 to .036) or IM or light full (.028 to .032) is the goal, then let's suggest that you start with a more open Mod choke (.020-.026) as a reasonable first choice. At 16 yards, it is usually tight enough for most standard loads and wind conditions. As you progress in trap experience and talk with your shooting club mates, you'll quickly determine if that is something YOU should stay with or if you need to move up the ladder. Plan on a few thousand rounds in the early learning stages.

Personally, I always practice tighter and shoot competitions slightly more open (mentally forgiving). But, that is only a theory.

Oh, and I suggest you don't worry about the patterning board until you know your gun fits. The quickest and most efficient way to check fit is to stand at station 3, lock the trap for straight-aways then shoot and adjust until you hit "flying targets" hard, "all" the time. I know many champion shooters that never pattern their guns or chokes unless they are testing their own reloads for specific handicap conditions. These champions always know that hitting flying targets is the best way to learn their gun. A good teacher and lessons are also invaluable in the early going. Good luck and have fun....that's the most important thing.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Put in a full. If you don't have one, then put in an extra full.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If you are using a new model BT, it came with one choke, full. Take the hint.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the POI of each choke, make sure they hit what you are aiming at. HMB

13. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Any choke will work as long as it is marked f - u - l - l.

14. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Use the pattern board to see what shell your bt likes.
    then adjust your choke to get the best results.
    My BT99 likes the old silver AA, Not the new ones, It shoots great with 1 oz.
    STS or nitros. #8 for 16 yrd. and 7 1/2 for hdcp.
    Again use the pattern board.

Tom

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What BS. Put a choke in and go shoot. Change chokes until you get one that works for you and your gun. I have shot a ton of good scores with a Mod or IM.
    You can't believe what they are marked and they are not always straight. Therefore put it on paper. Remember what people tell you are their personal opinions or what they heard or read from someone else.

The object is to have fun, enjoy the sport. Tinker with your gun as you go and your scores improve.

Don

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

So what choke is in your K80 BIGDON??

17. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

What are the chokes for if not tried and utilized? With a BT99 use the Mod/Imp.mod and you will have wonderful breaks. Use the full way back past 25 yards. You are not a professional shooter-your desire is to break targets-either in 10 pieces or to smoke them.No need at all for the full choke up close.The full choke will ink ball the targets but you will wonder what happened to the ones that got away. Would you rather score a "25" with very good breaks or have a "22 or 23" with that full choke? Ask Mr. Wilkinson-he will tell you.

18. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Dennis ,you got that right!!!!!!!!!!.Id rather have a 25 straight with some chips and splits than a 22 with all smoke balls.I use a light Mod. at 16 yards..016---DT 10.Oh yah ,while im on a roll----1 1/8 of 8s too.

Sandy Holehouse

19. GGib

GGib TS Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll start the adventure and have fun along the way. It's been helpful to see the full range of advice. Best to you all.

20. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

GGib,"Experience is the best teacher".You will find out for yourself after shooting it for a while .

Sandy Holehouse .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.