1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter/Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ziff, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziff

Ziff TS Member

Hello All, I'm new to TS.com and fairly new to trapshooting. I've been shooting at my local club here in MI for about 4-5 months using the cheap Federal promo shells in 7 1/2 and 8 from Wal-Mart. They have worked fine and was lucky enough the other day to run my first 50 straight. One of the members of the club needed to clear out some stuff and I bought his MEC 9000 from him.
    I had never reloaded shotgun shells before but have reloaded thousands of rounds for rifle and handgun. The reloader came with all his suppies also(2000 Rem STS hulls, Rem primers, 14 lbs of Clays, 4500 WAA12 wads and 5 bags of West Coast # 7 1/2 magnum shot). Well i've almost used that up and am looking for some advice. His load was STS hull, Rem primer, 18.7 grains of Clays, WAA12 wad and 1 1/8oz of shot. My question is 1. What is your opinion of this load and should I stay with it or not? and 2. I am going to shoot my fisrt ATA shoot in April and would like to shoot singles, handicap and doubles. What loads would you recommend for those also?
    I wouldn't bother you guys with this but I've been lurking on here for a little while and am impressed with the amount of knowledge you guys have.

Thanks in advance and hope I am welcome to join your group.
    Arnie

2. Ziff

Ziff TS Member

PS; I forgot to mention I have quite a few AA hulls in red and grey also.
    thanks
    Arnie

3. oz

oz Active Member

get a god reloading book first. that load is fine. oz

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Get your self the Lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading book. This will help you out. Also will your at it. If you don't have a good scale get one. The scale is very importance in reloading to check your drops on the powder and shot.
    Also go on line and check the powder manufacture web site for there info on reloading.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Get your self the Lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading book. This will help you out. Also will your at it. If you don't have a good scale get one. The scale is very importance in reloading to check your drops on the powder and shot.
    Also go on line and check the powder manufacture web site for there info on reloading.

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

You can use the above web site to look at loads. The Lyman manual is a must, also. Your load looks like 1200 fps from the Hodgdon site.

You can also look at 1 oz. and 7/8 oz. loads. These are good for practice, as well as ATA shoots. Depending on what gun you use, these lighter loads can help you manage the recoil.

Search on this site and read about loads. Lots of folks shoot the lighter loads and save money, and shoot with much less recoil. Others like all the shot they can legally shoot, and full choke. YMMV.

Danny

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I'd set the Win AA hulls aside and stick with the Rem's. I'd also change to Win 209 primers (and so reduce the powder charge a little, per Hodgdon's data above,) as I prefer the Win to the Rem primer. You'll note that your 18.7 gr is pretty warm, near maximum. Phil E

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

As a some what newbie, After I got confidence in shooting my reloads at ATA events, not sure what I was affraid of! for your first ATA shoots I wouldnt be to concerned with trying to juggle 3 different loads for single,cap,doubles.
    I have settled on a pet load of 1oz shot 7.5 or 8s what ever is in stock useing clays powder tgt12 wads and cci primers. Running about 1135fps.<always use known data, reload manuals as stated are also a must. Unless you are looking for a decrease in recoil or conserving lead. Load up what the machine is set for. Those loads will work well in my eyes for everything. Try to go to a marathon event, thats where I will sample any new load. I myself and going in the oposite direction.....looking to start reloading rifle and pistol. Only problem NO ONE is getting rid of their presses!!!!

9. Ziff

Ziff TS Member

I very much appreciate the advice from everyone, but am not new to reloading just reloading shot shells. I have the Lyman 5th Edition reloading manual and the Two Hodgdon manuals an Alliant an Accurate an IMR and Winchester and one by MEC full of data and it seems the more I study them the more counter dictions I come up with. I was hoping to use your guys knowledge and experience with "been there, done that, didn't work" to save me allot of foot (range) work. I also have a Lyman electronic scale and usually weigh the first 5-6 loads and about every 12-15th load until I’m done. When I reloaded for competition rifle and metallic silhouette handgun I know some powder would group well at say 20 grains but accuracy would suffer at 22 grains, some primer powder combinations were good and some made you group open up considerably. I was looking for a all around good load for singles, one for handicap and one for doubles and there all the same load than even better. One that patterns well, is recoil manageable and would give me the best chance at good scores so when I start shooting ATA this spring I can have confidence in it. I will have enough to focus on without having to second guess my loads all the time. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks again.
    Arnie

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to use different loads for the events that is fine. Two loads is all that is needed. One for 16 yards(light load) and one load for handicap(heavy load). For doubles use the light load for the first shot and the heavy load for the second shot. HMB

11. Ziff

Ziff TS Member

OK. What loads do you use and/or what loads would you suggest?
    thanks
    Arnie

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use 1 oz 8s for 16 yards and the first shot of doubles, and 1 1/18 oz of 7 1/2s for handicap and the second shot in doubles. HMB

13. Ziff

Ziff TS Member

HMB
    I thank you for your imput. I'm not trying to steal any trade secrects and if i'm out of line let me know, but am looking for hull, primer, wad, powder(brand and quantity) combinations that work for other people. I know all guns handle loads somewhat differently but looking for a place to start.
    thanks
    Arnie

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Arnie, You have just started a process. As noted above, shotgunning and shot shell reloading is an inexact science, to some degree. I shot the same gun for a number of years and developed some pet loads that worked very well in that gun. When I bought my first Kolar, it only liked # 8 shot. The only thing I changed was the shot size, everything else was the same. The new Kolar shoots everything that I have fed her so far. Bottom line is that your shotgun will probably like some loads better than others.

I suggest you use the load that the machine is set up for as you learn how those machines work. They are very fussy, as are all progressives, and when you change something, it usually requires a few other adjustments. It can be frustrating. As suggested above, you could lower your powder charge slightly without affecting the other adjustments very much.

There is no magic or secret formula. You will develop ones that work well for your style of shooting and are compatible with your gun. Just stay within the guidelines of the reloading manuals. Good luck and welcome. Bill Malcolm

15. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

I totally agree with 2 3/4 for every thing for the time being,I think what Arnie is looking for is-Rem. hull,Rem primer,Waa12 wad 16.6 of clays,1 1/8 of 7 1/2 or 8's,it should be a 30 bushing in a Mec[check with scale].This gives me around 1175 on a chronograph.

16. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Well ziff, I switched to clay dot by alliant because it is cheaper and it mimics clays. I use downrange wads and cheddite primers. This allows me to save money and crush birds. I prefer the remington sts or nitro hulls to the AA's for this load. I shoot one ounce loads and love them. If i do my part they crush birds. For singles i use 17.6 grains of clay dot and for handicap i use 18.2 grains. I dont shoot doubles but i would guess that all you would have to do would be to shoot the singles load for the first shot and the handicap load for the second.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

OK arnie. Im a not so new newbie I will give you what I have settled on

1. I will use 7.5s for everything trap and sporting, just like it. I switched to 8s depending on what size is in stock. The loads below are with STS hulls rem209 primers Clays powder Winchester wads. With that said I will just give wad grains and fps

1. 7/8oz WAA12L 16.8 grains 1200fps, My practice fun shooting lead powder conserving load.

2. 1oz WAA12SL 16.4 grains 1125fps. This is by far my favorite load back to 22 yards. I use this load the most. patterns very nice and just does well for me.

3. 1oz RemTGT12s wads 16.8 grains 1125 fps another fine load, for me

4. 1 1/8 WAA12 16.6 grains 1090fps another load that works very well for me.

I have shot all of these for all 3 events with mixed results. I shot a 22 from the 27yard line with 7/8 load 1 time. but even with 1 1/8 loads at 1250fps my >22 yard line scores are all over the place, as many have said get used to the shooting format develop your skills. When I shoot ATA events I will load 1 1/8 oz 7.5s @ 1200fps for my current handicap yardage of 21yards. For doubles I just use gun clubs. Right now my doubles shooting is a novelty for me. I hardly ever get to practice doubles and tend not to get the min targets for the big events to shoot my appropriate class.

Now since it is time for you to restock, the fun begins. Will you be able to get win wads or rem primers???? I know I have to get what I can get. Which is always changeing. Also do you really want to pay 165.00 for 5k rem209 primers?

If they are available to you try some down range wads. I like the TGT12 replacement and will try the new 7/8 wads when supplier wakes up and starts stocking items people want!!! Current supplier not so good.

18. Ziff

Ziff TS Member

Thanks all for the good info/advice. I like the clays powder because it burns very clean. I think I will back off my current load a little and use that for singles and either use my current load for caps or try International Clays at around 1200fps because of the lower pressure. I have about 3500 Rem STS Green for singles load and 1200 Nitro 27 Gold hulls for caps to get started.
    Thanks again and hope to see you on the line this summer.
    Arnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.