1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter new gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by aeh3526, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeh3526

aeh3526 TS Member

Hi all. I am new to trap shooting but enjoy the sport despite my poor results. I have chosen to purchase a dedicated trap gun as opposed to using my Charles daly 20 ga.semi auto. I want to order a sbk 85 unsing 34"/30" ou combo. What are your opinions of this gun and its ability to accomodate my present skill level and potential improvement. Thanks al

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

About any dedicated trap gun will exceed the skill levels of a beginning shooter.
    However, some guns are better than others. Buy one that fits you, it will probably not be your last gun. Shoot a lot. Ask questions.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to buy a gun that fits you and shoots where you are looking. One way to get the right gun is to buy a used gun that you can get to shoot before you decide whether to buy it. It is also nice to get a gun that does not beat you up when you shoot it. So my advice is to shoot it before you buy it. HMB

4. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

That gun is a nice gun and should last a long time. Make sure it fits you. The one I shouldered did not but I'm short, thick necked, bald and beatiful!! :)
    Ron Zimmerman

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All basic combo's are more than adequate. Look at any gun & check if you can get a PFS for it. This way you can get a guarantee of fit & comfort. If the gun doesn't fit it won't work.If it pounds you it won't work. There are lots of Beretta 682's out there.

Phil Berkowitz

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Al: I agree with hmb. Look around for a used gun. New guns depreciate like anything else. There are a lot of used Brownings and Berettas out there. If by chance the gun you choose does not work out; you will not take the financial beating as you will with a new one. I'd like to note that "ultramag338" has a Beretta combo on this forum that might be of interest to you. Good Luck. Ed

7. aeh3526

aeh3526 TS Member

thanks for all your help guys. i picked that gun based on price and the adjustability of the stock as well as my physical dimentions (6-1 240).I have not been able to shoulder it as i have been shopping online. any other suggestions for getting started and perhaps initial set up would be helpful. thanks al

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

You can pretty much buy a handgun or deer rifle that way, even a hunting or home-defense shotgun. Trap guns are different. I'll second the advice to shoot first. Best idea is to shoot a few shots out of as many as you can, so you can pick a favorite the right way. This sport demands a gun that fits like it's a part of you, as you need that to hit, and you'll be firing many thousands of rounds a year, so you need that fit for the sport to be fun. That SKB combo is popular, and if it fits you and shoots well for you, could be a fine choice. Phil E

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

I'd encourage you to try before you buy. The SKB is a very good gun and i know several people who have the combo sets. All are happy except for one who is really struggling with it. Not the guns fault and he knows it. He just can't shoot it. Most people are willing to let you try their guns. Its a real downer to buy a new gun and find out its not for you.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

That 682 that 338ultra has (or one like it) will be a much better buy for you in the long run. What ever adjustable features you may need can be added to that gun for very little cost. The brand new SKB may work out for you but you will take a pretty big depreciation hit if and when you want to sell it, the used 682 will be worth about what you paid for it. I'll admit some bias as I'm a 682 owner.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Where are you located? If you can get to a shoot with gun vendors, you can sample what they have. Get something that fits reasonably well or you will be disappointed no matter how beautiful it is.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Al, do try to shoot all of the guns at your local range or ranges that you shoot at. Most shooters will let you try their gun for a round or two if you ask them nicely. Maybe buy them a cup of coffee or soda. Most of us will be happy to tell you why we love this make and model of shotgun!!! Ask !!! Do try first, I have found the SKB's and Browning stocks to be about the same, with the Beretta's different and not as good for me. But with that said, alot of shooters perfer the Beretta's over the Brownings for the same reason. If you are recoil sensative buying a shotgun that a PFS fits does make sense. You can always buy a used one down the road (PFS) if you need it. Their are alot of used guns out there right now that can be bought for some real good deals. Do shop around around a bit before you buy. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

PFS is Precision Fit Stocks, made by Vern Brown. You may have seen them at the range, they look like a metal robot kind of thing. They are totally adjustable and will fit any person of any size and build. They can take out zero to almost all the recoil of a shotgun as well. All adjustable. Vern's number is (719)250-7727 Cell #. He will call you back if he doesn't answer. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.