1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter New Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I get asked this question a lot especially from lefties, im one also.
    1. I always ask whats wrong with the gun they have?
    2. How much do you plan to shoot trap or is it going to be a do all gun?
    3. what amount of $$$ have you committed yourself to on a gun?
    They usually respond
    1.Its not a trap gun
    2. I dont know
    3. another ?
    I wish I kept my first trap gun, 870 express with a bondo/fiberglass altered stock with a raised comb and palm swell finger grip attempt, I shot well with that gun for a year. taking 3 league 1st place wins. I sold the stock at my 2nd ATA event for 100.00 was not even trying to sell it.
    I have tried to tell many shooters for a much less investment they could just change out their current stock or have adjustable comb installed.
    A lot of the new shooters want a gun to do all the games, sporting clays and five stand is growing fast around here, the younger crowed seems to be going that direction. For me my best do all gun is my browning gold with wenig New American style stock. For trap its my XT with PFS which I really like for the adjustments. Then the big thing which helped me out big time and also found 2 really bad chokes that I had. Getting these new guys to pattern their gun set them up. And to see where they are looking/shooting. With out the adjustability I now have, before left hand shots seemed to need a extreme swing and follow through, now with me comb adjusted to the left more it is just a matter of look move shoot. If you where to mount my gun the beads would be slightly misaligned. So I tell Them

How much are you committed? time,money,learning? If you want to shoot for fun get a 1100 or Beretta parts are plentiful and mods/accessories are readily available.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.