1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter needs opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tim Earney, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

If the Citori seems to fit and you can shoot it stay with it for a year or so at least. During the year you will meet a lot of shooters and learn a lot as well as see hundreds of nice trap guns. Don't spend your money on anything except targets and shells until you are sure about a new gun.

2. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

When you say "fixed choke"....Do you know what they are??? Are they full/Mod or Skeet? That will make a difference if you plan to shoot trap or skeet. If you plan to shoot trap and the barrels are f/m...stick with the $500 gun until you're sure you like it. You'll get to see and shoot many guns while you're learning. Good luck and welcome to the sport!

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

One noteworthy condition of being a trapshooter is most will always be on the prowl
    for a better scoring gun.

Now if you bought a solid functioning Citori for $500, you made a heck of a buy. You didn't say but Iam presuming its a field version. Doesn't matter as it will get you started. If you have the spare coin for the 425 and they will sell it to you somewhere between your offer and their price, I'd buy it too. Then see which one works best for you. The main thing is once you learn the one thats best, don't keep switching back and forth.

4. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I would buy the 425. Great all round gun that you can use for skeet and sporting clays which will be the next venture.At that price you won't lose any money if you decide to sell.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Those are both good guns at good prices, assuming good mechanical condition, and you won't lose any money on either one if and when you trade up.

As for the second question...that just depends on easily discouraged you are with new things. Enjoy it for what it is. Trust me, when you learn what "the greats" have had to invest to get as good at this as they are, you wouldn't want to trade places with them for anything. If you shoot some practice rounds and enjoy it, you're already ahead in the dollars to enjoyment ratio. Just aim to keep it that way and see where it leads.

6. wolfba

wolfba Member

Shoot for fun and my suggestion would be to buy used and you'll rarely lose money on a gun. I'm not great and have better and worse days but for me it's always fun.

Having buddies to shoot with is more fun than shooting a perfect score (unless you have dinner riding on it)

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A Citori for 500 is cheap money in my opinion.

Assuming it has a field stock, you may have to do some work to do to get it to fit right.

You can visit your local fabric shop, get some hard felt and some Moleskin from the drug store and go at it.

Don't be concerned with looks at this point.

Fit and sight picture is what you're after.

Enjoy shooting and don't pay too much attention to the ATA comments.

Regards....Gerald

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If the one you have is choked mod/full I'd stay with that for now. And FWIW I think the sport is prob'ly a lot like golf, well actually I've never played golf but Trapshooting is a lot like team roping in as much as if you have a REALLY good day you might get half your money back, lol.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Your $500 Citori is a good starter gun for what you want to do. I would replace the recoil pad, and add some height to the comb, to raise your POI for trap targets. Beretta makes a Gel comb pad that works well for this. see link above. Also, try and find some shells that have less recoil. Don't buy 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. Less shot and/or less velocity equals less recoil, and more enjoyment. Mark

10. johnpe

johnpe Member

These guys are giving you good advice. Stay with the Citori and use the money you would spend for any other gun on shells and targets. I would make sure you have a good recoil pad and while you are getting it installed, have it put on to match your length of pull and pitch down. These are two of the main dimensions on fitting the stock to you. Ask around and you will find someone local that can explain exactly what these measurements mean and the gunsmith that does the work can probably give you a quick course in gun fitting. As an example: Pitch should be reasonably neutral - depending upon how you are built. I have all of my guns set at a 1" pitch down from whatever barrel length the gun has. This measurement has some lattitude so it doesn't have to be exact. Length of pull and drop at comb/heel are more critical. One of the other responders told about how to build a stock up if it is too low. Good Luck and have LOTS of fun!!

Johnpe

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll go against the current here... both the "Citori" and the 425 are both Citori Platforms... jump on the 425.

425 should allow you to maintain a sight picture of the target whereas a field gun (if it is a field gun?!) will not - you have to block out the target.

The 425 should have Invector Plus choke tubes... which will make the 425 that much more usable as you start out... you could shoot Trap, Skeet and Sporting - where as a fixed modified/full knock out the Skeet and much of Sporting...

I shot a 425 for many years - it's a great Citori shotgun...

Jay

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

PM sent...hope these thoughts help. Regards, Ed

13. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

For prices, you can learn a lot from Gunbroker.com and jaquas.com. You can see the asking prices and pricing strategies of the various types of dealers, and what shooters are willing to pay.

For ATA shoots and locations, the shootata.com is best while clay targets online shows were all shotgun sports clubs/locations are (this includes skeet, trap, 5 stand, sporting clays, etc.).

Otherwise, TS is the best place to learn about the shotguns sports (mostly american trap).

Remember to have fun!

14. thunder

thunder Active Member

U stole the Citori and the 425 is a great price if it ain't been shot much. If you have the money buy the 425 also, as its a steal. The Browning's are great guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.