1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter needs advice.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Hello, I was wondering if any of you have gun advice? I'm a female who is just getting started - any recommendations on a good beginners gun that won't break the bank? Thanks.... Jill Skoutelas

2. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

What's your budget? A solid, used BT-99, (a great, simple, trap specific single shot) can be had for $900 at our local Gander Mtn.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A Remington 1100 ot 1187 trap gun is a good starter gun, and soft on recoil.

Same for a Beretta 391 trap.

The BT-99 is a good suggestion, as mentioned above.

Used guns can be a good bargain, and a good idea for a starter gun.

4. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Whatever gun you decide on, it's most important that it fits you correctly. I've helped a few lady shooters fit to guns. Taller ladies with longer arms can pick up full sized guns with no problem. Smaller girls generally need a shorter stock, which is easy enough for a stock fiter to adjust. I'd stay away from micro or youth guns as they are shorter but tend to be light. A light gun will kick more.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What ClaykillR says is spot-on.

I can't stress proper gun fit enough. And its one of the most overlooked things by new shooters.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a used trap gun. One that you can shoot before you decide to buy. Buy the gun that breaks targets and does not hurt you when you shoot it. A Remington 1100 with an adjustable comb and butt plate is a good place to start your search. HMB

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice above ... then take a Nora Ross clinic. Bill Malcolm

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I would also suggest an auto loader, such as Remington 1100, Beretta, Browning Gold/Winchester Super X2 or X3. If you have the money to spend, you might look at the Benelli. Lot more money for an autoloader, but also has all kinds of adjustments, lightweight, soft recoil, just hard to get parts for the darn thing.

If you go with a fixed breech gun like the BT99 you might keep your eyes open for a used "Plus" and even better would be a Micro-Plus. The Plus has a anti recoil system and adjustable rib. Some people did not like the rib, because it is aluminum and even fewer people like the recoil system, but it is adjustable including length of pull. The Mirco had a shorter stock that was ideal for a lady or youth shooter.

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Get a good used Beretta 682 Trap O/U with adjustable stock, ported barrel, choke tubes and case. Rather than cut a stock down, there's many to be had that already have been cut. Shoot singles, handicap, and doubles.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jill, Lots of good info above!!! But I only saw one post that mentioned an adjustable comb and a adjustable butt plate. Almost every lady shooter I have seen shoot well and had their gun fitted to them properly had both of these items. Most guns are built for a man's build, not a lady's. Recoil is also a issue that should be addressed as well. Some will shoot a 20 ga. shotgun and some will have a recoil reducer of some sort or another added to their gun. These items cost more on top of the gun. So I too say try a automatic shotgun that will help reduce recoil. Only the gas operated automatic shotguns will do this. The most common in the clay shooting sports are the more afforable Remington ll00, and the tad bit more expensive Beretta 390 (older), and 391 model. The Beretta needs less cleaning, but it takes alot longer to clean when it needs it. Hope this helps, Break-em all. Jeff

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Picked up a good used BT99 at local G.Mtn last year for $710 and tax...I couldn't believe it. Two barrels, 32 mod, 34 full. For a deal like that, you could have the stock cut and shaved to fit. Bargains are out there. Try a bunch, shooters love to have people try their guns (most, anyway) and see what feels right, fits right, and "looks" right.

12. robusto

robusto TS Member

Most shooters end up with a break open type gun so I would start there. Chances are if you start with an auto loader you will eventually move away from it, so I would start with a bt99 or something similar. Used is a great way to go because you can try the actual gun you will be buying. Good luck

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm going to bet you like the game and end up doing it for several years. Right now you want a gun that gets you into the game but not something you could loose money on when you find what you really want. Best choice, a used M1100 Remington trap model. Expect to pay something like $500 for a reasonably good condition one. The value won't depreciate much from this point and may even go up a bit.

Once you start spending time at a trap range you will probably meet a lot of nice people that will let you try a variety of guns. Eventually you will find something you really like.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Make sure you get her a spare parts kit for the used 1100. A adjustable Comb is a must so add that to the price of the gun if it doesn't have one. Anotherr reason, other than recoil is if you are going to shoot events other than 16's i.e. doubles, skeet, hunting or sporting clays go with the Beretta 390, 391 with choke tubes, adjustable comb and a short stock if necessary. If you don't like the gun or the sport there is always a market for the gun.

Enjoy, as Trapshooting is an lifetime adventure.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.