1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter Looking For Shotgun Selection Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by panther3423, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panther3423

panther3423 TS Member

Hey all, I am just getting started with Trap shooting and so far have loved every minute of it. I have been borrowing a Benelli Nova 12 gauge to shoot with and am now thinking about purchasing my very own shotgun. I wanted to get some opinions or suggestions on what shotgun to look at and try out. Now keep in mind that I'm not thinking about Trap Shooting competitively or professionally, just love to go out there with friends to shoot and maybe join a league for fun. Additionally, I'm looking for something I can take into the field as well since I like to waterfowl. I would really like an O/U but am not opposed to a pump or gas operated. With that, I am looking forward to your suggestions and can start my researching =)!! As far as budget goes, I'm definitely looking to stay under $1000.

2. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Beretta 391 Urika 2 12ga 30" Parallel Comb

Nice gun, you'll find one for <$G.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Second the 391 suggestion. You will love the low recoil especially after you have been shooting the Nova. The 391 will take you as far in the game of trap as you want to go.

The Reminton M1100 is worth a look as well. Lots of those show up on this forum priced right and all set up for seriuos trap shooting.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Go with the 391....... GOOD LUCK

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've owned a Remington 1100 trap gun since 1972 shot everything with the gun trap, geese, ducks, turkey, pheasant, deer slugs. thousnads of rounds never failed to fire and never failed to hit what I pointed at correctly.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

The 391 also gets my vote. I have owned both and feel the 391 is a better gun. The 1100 needs to be maintained or it will give you problems. Good gun, just not as reliable as the 391. Then again, it is only my opinion. Ed

7. Loyac

Loyac Member

You'll be able to find a "like new" Beretta 391 Urika 30" Trap or Parallel Target for under 1K and you won't regret it. John

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I concur with the suggestions regarding the Beretta 391 and Remington 1100. You may also consider an 870 TC or trap version of used Browning over/under. A solid used browning o/u is a good gun, but you'll probably be over a $1,000 for one in good shape.

John E.

9. panther3423

panther3423 TS Member

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone. Looks like the consensus is the Beretta 391. I'm going to do some additional research on my own with that gun as well as the 1100. Hopefully find a range with one of those 2 choices and get a chance to shoulder and shoot em to see how they feel. Any other opinions would be appreciated but to the ones that have responded, thanks for the suggestions!!

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Just another thought FWIW.

Browning BT-99's are cheap and plentiful. There's a rack full of 'em at every shoot. Ask an owner to let you try his out. The BT-99 is really a terrific starter gun at a very good price, and you can pick up wood to make the gun fit you, very easily . Then, once sufficiently bitten by the bug and you want to step up, you can always get your money out of it. I was standing right where you are, just five years ago ....welcome to the club ...mike

11. esoxhunter

Mike: He said he wanted to also use it for hunting. The BT-99 would be a rather poor choice. Ed

12. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Panther,

+1 on the 391 U2.

When the competitive “bug” hits you, it will become the first of many. Shotguns are like Doritos.

Good luck!

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You need to try the guns you are considering. I shoot Remingtons autos because they fit me. Beretta autos feel very awkward to me. If I wanted a cheap gun for trap only I would buy a Remington pump. One good thing about Remingtons. If they do break they are quick and easy to get repaired.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My often advice is an auto-loader and the O/U will give you one gun that will permit you to shoot, try, and maybe excel in any of the shotgun sports. In your price range you should be looking at the auto-loaders if new or one pretty well used Over/Under maybe. Limiting yourself to a single shot may work out well for you but there will come a time when you'll want to try doubles, wobble, bunker 5 stand, sporting, or skeet if only just for the experience. The single shot will not give you the opportunity to try them and have the permitted 2 shots. The Beretta and Remington autos are tried and proven and several Benellis have popped up in my view in the last few years. Try as many as you can get your hands on by asking permission respectfully and I'll bet one will stand out as the one you want.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. mike T

mike T Member

Find a good used 1100 trap MC stock. Have it cut to make it an adjustable comb.
    Get a Full Choke fixed step rib barrel. Then you are good to go. Can shoot all the Trap games with the same gun. And if you want you can pick up other barrels for what ever game you want. from skeet to Deer slub rifeled barrels.
    I have a 1100 for a backup gun for Trap. It was my main gun till I got a 682 combo. I only had the length of pull shortened. The MC fits me fine. I have the step rib barrel full choke and also a skeet barrel. I have shot this gun a lot (1000's) both at clay targets, and hunting too. Used the Skeet barrel for quail and also in a pinch for slugs for deer. (now have a 870 with rifled barrel for deer.)

the only issue with a 1100 is you need to clean it. I cleaned mine after every shoot 300 targets. And I stlll hve the origional o ring in it. A 1100 can take you all the way back to the 27yd line.

For a new shooter I would say go with a 1100. Even one with choke tubes would be nice.

good luck
    mike t

16. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a Browning 325 o/u that I would sell for $995.00. Don

17. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

A 325 might not be a bad idea.. Cut the comb and you'd be good to go.

18. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

A guy had an 1100 with a monte carlo stock,an adjustable comb and butt plate for $475 last week at our club. Pretty good deal. You could always change the stock for hunting. I would still think the best choice would be to have a trap gun and a seperate hunting gun (just my opinion, no real reason as to why). I would use the 1100 for hunting and doubles or other games, and buy a used BT-99 for trap. You could almost squeeze both inside your budget and have the best of both worlds.

19. panther3423

panther3423 TS Member

There are a lot of semi automatic suggestions to this thread and John Malcolm made a comment that I've always been curious about but haven't had the experience of being at trap ranges often enough to experience it. How frowned upon are semi autos at a trap range, it seems that because you can't see the action open at all times these guns aren't the favorite of most that are there. Has that trend changed at all?

20. esoxhunter

panther: That is really not the reason. There is no difference in being able to easily see if the action is open on a semi-auto compared to a pump action gun. The main reason semi-autos are frowned upon by some shooters is that some shooters elect to shoot without utilizing a shell catcher. Some shooters take offense to having an ejected hull from a semi-auto bouncing off their new K-80. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.