1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter ignorant question of the day

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

...so be gentle.

My 11-87 sporting clays gun has a down-sloping comb, non-parallel comb, or whatever I need to call it - non a trap stock. However, I seem to have a longish neck and need, perhaps, an adjustable pad to keep the butt in the right spot on my shoulder while my cheek is on the comb, without neck craning.

If I built up the comb to parallel, more of some material on the back of the comb than on the front, would that not put the gun in the same position as an MC stock with an adj butt dropped by the same amount?

Ignore horizontal alignment for this discussion, assuming you can build the comb and keep your cheek aligned horizontally (somehow).

Danny

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

building up the comb is common. there's a kit available that's like a moleskin type fabric that's sticky on the back so you can layer it. have you tried an adj. pad yet? morgan pad.

brett d.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I had BT-99's I would run the stock lengthwise through the buzz saw and laminate a block of walnut to the stock to build a montecarlo stock with parallel comb. Others used to use acraglass to build up the combs. I am still too cheap to buy an adjustable comb and instead I use the Meadow Industries Convert A Stock pad cuz I like the soft feel of leather against my cheek. The comb height is an important dimension and also the drop at heel is important and comes into play when you have a longish neck.

4. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

I would put a Morgan on it.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Danny,

It may or may not work. Right now, if you like the sight picture, and the gun shoots where you like it to shoot, no, you reaaly don't want to raise the comb any higher. Making it into a parallel comb will help with the recoil to the face, but not help much with the neck crunching.

Installing an adjustable pad would be your better bet. This will allow the gun to still mount properly on/into your shoulder, but will bring the whole package up, including the stock, to your face.

Doug

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Adjustable pad.

Should have stated, the gun has an adjustable pad on it. When I took the pad off for adjustment changes, the only markings anywhere said "TIMNEY," so I assume Timney made a pad at some point.

Also, cutting this stock is not an option, at least based on the smiths I've talked with. A new trap stock could be an option.

Brett,

I'll search on the kit. Any leads for me?

Danny

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Danny: Go down to Walgreens, (or a similiar store) and purchase some moleskin. You can then cut it into strips and build up the comb. This will give you an idea of how much it needs to be raised. Just layer it on top of the comb. Try maybe 3-4 layers 1st and then add as you need it. Just be sure if you are right handed that you don't run these layers down the side of the stock where your face meets the gun. That would move you away from the stock and you won't be looking down the rib correctly. (Just the opposite if you're left handed). It's a cheap way to experiment. And if it don't work for you, you are only out a few $$ for the moleskin. Ed

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=106768

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

find an 1187 trap stock....sounds like you need one anyway so bite the bullet and go for it....you won't be sorry. I'm long necked too and have never shouldered a sporting clays or skeet gun that came anywhere near fitting me correctly.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Better to have an ugly stock built up with moleskin that fits than a new one that almost fits. The moleskin will allow you to find the right deminsion for you, then if you want a new stock you will know the right dimensions. Standard stocks fit some people perfectly, some people almost and some people not at all. How do you want to shoot? Remember that piling on the moleskin will affect the cast unless you add narrow strips until the final one. Jeff

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

See the last pic in the above link. I have the moleskin for experimenting.

Any ideas on wedges like that to build up the rear part of the comb?

Beartooth guys, if you're watching, I'm not trying to be too cheap, just want to experiment before I buy. ;^)

Danny

12. klundman

klundman TS Member

when you guys say the comb should be parallel with the rib, does this mean you should add more shims in the front or back posts to achieve this? so when i run a "YARD STICK" across the rib over the comb the the space measured between the yard stick and comb should be equal on both ends of the adjustable comb? thanx,KEN V.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Danny, I bought the "Beartooth" neoprene rubber slip on with the foam rubber inserts. The foam rubber inserts won't stay put!! They move off to one side or other even from bumping it into your side! I don't think you'll be happy with those either.

Years ago I built up a field stock such as your wanting with casting resin. It's quite a bit of work but it does work, lots of grinding down the excesses though.

I'd find another trap stock and use MikeTMXs advice on adding a Converta Stock Pad if necessary. Hap

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Look into RGunn's suggestion. The D&E "elevator" will do what you want, padded---parallel(almost) comb. Also available from Brownells (#946-000-002), get the stick-on model.

John C. Saubak

15. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

Get a Jack West Stock, then you can adjust it to where you want it and you still have the original wood. Joe B.

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with those who say use the stock adjuster to compensate for a long neck. Something else that can also help is mounting your gun even with the top of your shoulder or even shrugging your shoulders before calling for targets. Both raise the gun nearer to the height of your eyes and allow a more upright head position.

The only downside with lowering the recoil pad with a stock adjuster is greater barrel (and comb) rise during recoil. For this reason, lower it as little as possible.

Rollin

17. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

My project is getting shelved also. On a lark, I stopped at a gun shop on a business trip. Lo and behold, they had a total of two trap guns in there, one of which was a BT-100, the other a Browning Citori Plus 32" Trap. Tomorrow morning, the Plus gun is mine!

32" chokes, adjustable high rib, adjustable comb, adjustable recoil absorbing butt pad. What more can a man want? At least at the price I bought it, anyway. I'll report back later.

By the way, this shop also have a Kolar Sporting Clays gun for 6,995. Still out of my range, but seemed like a decent price.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

d&e comb elevator pads