1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new shooter frustrations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

in referance to the thread "best advice to a new shooter"--
    here is my question- why does it seem that a new shooter will come out and shoot a pretty good score say20 or 22 and everyone will comment "he's doing pretty good. then the next time they will come out and shoot a 14 or 15! what happened and then -- what do you tell them???

2. philk

philk Member

Wait till you get old shooters frustrations. LOL

3. acss

but why does this drop in score happen? i see it alot with first time shooters!

4. racer

racer TS Member

It happens when they start thinking about what they are doing instead of watching the target and shooting it. I watched (in amazement) at a young man shoot 72 out of the first 75 he ever shot at. By the end of the day I had him in the 19-20 range! True story! Dan

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Alot of it has to do with your concentration level or possible a focus level. I would say focus is a better choice of words. It is something you have to build up. It may be something that might takes a few weeks or months to progress in rounds you can consistantly get the same scores or better scores. You might find it will go like, you can shoot two rounds fine and the third or fourty you stink the place up. Within in a couple of weeks your score is consistant in the third round. And the same process with a forth round. I could be off base some but, I think I'm close. Your not in a slump, your a new shooter. An experienced shooter in a slump just has to shoot his way out of it. Much like a baseball player in a hitting slump.

I can shoot o.k., I'm always trying to find or figure out why I missed a target. Did I shoot too soon, move my head, poor head position on the stock, stopped swing through, tried to read a target.....and so on. I'm not the kind of person who'll get a big head when I do shoot good because I realize I can loose that focus level.

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'd agree on the focus solution. I notice when I'm not paying 100% attention to the house that I will start missing. Sometimes hard to keep the mind on the game when you got two guys sharing a gun or someone who has never held a shotgun in their life on the line. And then you start the little changes, putting your head forward on the comb and such. Score goes down until you get used to it then score goes up or improves over before. That's where I am right now, good scores until I forget basics and go back to bad habits and then scores suck.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It has something to do with the "trap gods". The first time out you might have gotten easier targets, straight aways or soft targets. The next time you got more harder angles.

Hang in there and have fun.

Don

8. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

A bunch of us were just talking about this yesterday. Many years ago (many!!)
    there was a firearms instructor on my P.D. that always said "with practice you will get worse". What he meant for the new troops was, when you first fire a handgun you will generally do better than you will as you begin to practice in hopes to get even better. You don't know what to expect when you first shoot but the overall bad habits (flinch & etc.) come along & until you learn to focus & overcome the demons you find your scores do go down. Stay with it & you will eventually improve. Years later (many again!) I became the dept. firearms instructor & fully understand his meaning. Applies to everything most times. JMO Colonel

9. acss

thanks-- more times than not- we will blame the gun???

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

when you have to shoot, shoot, don't think....

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

colonel klink is correct. With no issues to be concerned about, the first time shooter may do well. As soon as one has to fight the the demon's that crop up, scores go down. Start thinking about doing better and everything goes wrong. It happens to everyone. Those who fight the demon's long enought, usually beat them. Those that give up the fight, quit. That's why every lifetime trapshooter has seen hundreds of new shooters quit. The fight never ends. The demon's are always ready to pounce..........

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Another point to consider......typically the new shooter often starts out with unnessesarily heavy loads, prob'ly a four-pack of 3 dram "Wally's" and a shotgun that might not fit him all that good. For the first round or two his natural instincts are hitting most of the targets and then by the third or fourth round, his cheek's getting sore and he starts flinching.

John C. Saubak

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thinking scews up a lot of things

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

years ago, two members of the milwaukee brewers baeball team came out to an area gun club to try trapshooting. without any instruction one hit a 20 and the other a 18. after we gave them a short lesson, they shoot a 16 and 15. the first time they shot, all they had on their mind was just to hit the target. after we gave them our expert advice, they were thinking while shooting. vic reinders once said the perfect trapshooter would be an imbecile with good coordination.
    steve balistreri

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Ever hear the term "beginner's luck"? It has its basis in the fact that our natural ability will let us perform, if we let it. In that the only thing beginners have is their natural ability, they do well until they start thinking about what they are doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.