1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter Classification?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

So I don't get something. This is my first year shooting ATA hence the clean average card. At the last shoot, I had no targets registered so they classified me as "A" Singles and put me on 24 or something on Cap, even though my card said 20.

Since then I've shot my obligatory min of 500 registered targets and now have an 89% average in singles. Still no registered handicap targets.

So what happens when I go to the next shoot, how do they know that I am really "D" class and not "A" singles?<br>
    Since I have no handicap targets registered, can I shoot 20 or will I get a high yardage again?

Thanks

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It'll all depend on the programs wording. If there is no mention of "Penalty Class & Yardage", then you'll shoot from your ATA assigned yardage.

Different clubs/states will have vastly different target requirements for some of their tournaments, so read the program carefully.

Curt

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Am I supposed to get something marked in my current year avg card for the registered targets? <br>
    How do they know what I've shot during the current year?

4. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

It is your responsibility to keep your ata average card up to date... As far as the Handicap yardage you will shoot from the 20 unless the shoot is a state level shoot or a satelite grand... and I agree read the program for any penalty yardage

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

This was a regional shoot so there was no program, at least not one that I am aware of.

Ok so basically I just need to write down my own scores on my avg card and just show that when I register?

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

vpr80 you might want to try the link above there is a lot of useful information there about your average card and how to use it.

Bob Lawless

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

ok well that pdf is mildly useful, but not really. there's info about the card, but not how to use it. right now my card is blank!

so if i keep track of all the scores myself on the card, what happens after I run out of lines on the back?

this system just seems so archaic. would be a lot easier if they could just look-up my average on the ata website when classifying and be done with it.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Not all clubs have internet connections, so looking up your average may not be an option. The ATA Shooter Information Center, where scores are displayed, used to have a disclaimer on it that those averages should not be used for classification purposes. Perhaps one reason is that they may not be as up-to-date as your card should be. As an example I cashiered our local shoot on Saturday February 6. It was a small shoot, so I sent in the electronic records of the shoot to ATA late that afternoon. Even given that the ATA office is not open on weekends, those records were waiting for them Monday morning in a format they are quite used to handling. As of five minutes ago my information in the Shooter Information Center still does not show the 300 targets I shot on the sixth. My average card does, and if I had gone to a shoot this past weekend the classifier would have had those records available to her/him even though the ATA was not as current as my card.

Many clubs, like mine, use a program for shoots that allows us to upload ATA records for classification. The latest records available in this system are what the ATA had uploaded through 2/3/2010. Again, those are not as current for me as my card.

Finally, the ATA rules make YOU responsible for maintaining your average card and making sure that you are classified/handicapped correctly. By the way, if there was not a statement about penalty yardage in the shoot program, you should have shot handicap from the 20 yardline, and if you did not, your scores should have been disqualified.

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

vpr:

You fishing or what?

That PDF tells you just about everything you need to know. It is outdated, since the back of your card won't look like that. Pay attention to the bottom half and you should find your answers. Your class is not recorded by management on the card anymore. You just list what class you were assigned to when you record your scores.

First grasp that you have to record your scores and calculate the average for singles and doubles (For the reasons explained above). You mentioned running out of room "on the back" which makes no sense. The scores go on the inside, it should be obvious.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

And, there is always a program. At the very least the cashier should have a copy.

Also, not only state shoots and satellite grands have penalty yardage. Some "smaller" shoots may too. That's why you need to look at a program.

It's your responsibility to ensure that you are classified correctly. In registered shooting, as in real life, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Now, on the average card, just fill in the date(s) you shot and the scores you shot for each discipline. Your "average" for your first singles and doubles event will just be the score you shot for that event. After that, just average your scores. Next year, start over. Averages aren't carried over from year to year. Indicate the class you shot in and whether you won or tied.

Keep a nice neat card and you'll stand out at the next shoot. ;)

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

vpr80 that pdf that are referring to is supplied by the ATA they certainly seem to think that it s all that is need.

As far as getting your averages from the Shooters Information Center on the ATA website is concerned. There is a rule in the rule book that says.

C. RULES OF CONDUCT OF AN ATA SHOOTER

2. It is the responsibility of all shooters to see that they are handicapped
    and classified properly in accordance with these Rules and/or the official
    program. Any errors made by the classification committee and/or the
    shooter must be corrected before shooting or the shooter may be subject
    to disqualification and may be subject to further disciplinary action.

You decide if you want to learn to figure how to use your card or use the average from the ATA web site on the chance that it might be up to date.

A little advice you can study the pdf and learn or you can expect everyone to do it for you in which case you will never learn. You said my card is blank. Did you expect it to come with score too.

I don't understand what you were expecting or why you seem to think that it you won't have to take your scores and follow the step by step procedure for getting your score on you card.

Now I was trying to be helpful I thought you might appreciate that I can however see by your comments that I wasted my time. For this I am truly sorry.

Good luck with your attitude I think you will need it.

Bob Lawless

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok let's try this again. I am sitting here with my card in hand.

On the front of the card are 4 blank sets of scores from 2006-2009. Also there is an "X" marked in the 20 yard circle. Who "punches" the changes in yardage?

On the back of the card is 12 lines to enter scores. There are two columns so that means there are 24 total lines to enter my scores. So if I understand this correctly, I am just going to write down all my scores that I've registered year to date. For example, I shoot either 100 or 200 per weekend, what happens on week 25 when I am out of lines to write down scores? Should I just keep a seperate pad for scores?

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The club punches a score when you earn one.

Many clubs have blank cards to add scores to; otherwise a piece of paper does fine.

Neil

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok got it, so I'll just write all of my scores from the season.

PS - Yeah looks like the ATA is slow. Still don't have scored from 1/16 on there.

Ok Thanks

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Sorry guys, maybe I was not clear. I understand HOW to fill the card out. I was just unsure of whether I fill it out and just the general process of who keeps the average during the year. And what I need to show at the next shoot to get the correct classification.

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

So, you should know now that you need to fill the card out. Then when you shoot a punchable score, take your card to the handicap table following the event and get it punched to your new yardage. Then stand on that whole yardage for your next handicap event.

And have fun.

17. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

vpr80 only your rgistered targets get recorded, not practice rounds, unless you plan on shooting registered every weekend. If thats the case I tip my hat to you I only shoot two or three registered events a month and generally its way late in the target year before I need a second card, if you get to that point there are lots of places to get generic cards to continue with, just keep them both together, it was a little confusing to start with, keep in mind you do not have to average your handicap targets on your card just record your score, I also use a #3 hard pencil to mark my card with, I use the eraser alot hehehe.

Good luck to you and good shooting.

Rick

18. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I have been shooting registered targets every weekend, but now that I have some scores under my belt, I am going to just register the events. Since it costs $5 to register, I rather buy an extra round with that money at this point.

19. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

As Hivoltfl mentioned above only ATA registered scores go on the card.

Also the 2010 averages on your card are just that - 2010 averages. When the target year changes on September 1st 2010 the new 2011 target year begins and your averages will start over again.

In other words your current average is for the current target year - not lifetime averages.

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Just want to check something. Is 500 the minimum required number of targets needed to register in order to show an average for the year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.