1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter Choke Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 82nd Trooper, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 82nd Trooper

82nd Trooper TS Member

Very new to the sport and would like input for chokes to use. Would improved cylinder be acceptable from the 16s. And would you recommend anything tighter than mod from the 20. I currently use a 1 1/8 oz of 8s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I personally use improved modified from 16, light full for my caps at 21.5, and improved cylinder and light fill for doubles. Good luck and glad to have you in the sport. Chuck Hrosik

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Shawn. The pattern size does not get significantly larger with a more open choke. What really happens is that some o the shot in the 20 inch ring is moved into the 30 inch ring. IM is a nice choke from 16 to 27 but I do use a full choke.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just as important as pattern density is POI. Sometimes changing screw in chokes can change your POI. Make sure your gun shoots straight. HMB

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I never knew any better and have been using a trap full 870 TB, 30", for my entire career...but have gotten smarter and now sometimes use an 870 30" trap modified for sixteen to twenty. Have won a few Annies and buddies when I forgot to change it to the full barrel...ignorance is bliss.

I think IC is way too open for trap and I am O.K. with those who disagree. I like smoke and crushed targets.

I had a BT99, full, a Citori Special edition trap and shot it with IM and F, and a Cynergy, same IM and Full, and they, along with the long gone 101, Chas Daly and some others, all seemed to be "perfect" with IM and F. Tried IC and like it.........................for skeet on the going away birds.

Thing to do is pattern whatever you have as the marking is a guide, not definitive...I have a barrel marked "trap mod" which has no more than .018" and shoot almost Imp Mod. I have an 870 26" fixed choke IC and it shoots a little more open than that (with 9s)..each is a law unto its own.

Above all, have fun. Many of us are "techno freaks" and spend way too much time on minutiae like constriction and velocity and stuff and not enough time on the posts breaking birds.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Use a full choke. Unless you have an extra full one. Then use that.

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

New also,been shooting since oct. Shooting a citori Sporting Clay special,Started with a Carlson Full,tried Midas im,now using midas mod.,Have thought about using LM,but friend that got me into this sport suggested not going anymore open. Reason being,if you get use to just chipping them with more open chokes,you may get too comfortable and not bear down on birds and crush them.All from 16's ,figure I'll tighten it up when I hit my first 25,or if I shoot handicaps.

Doug H.

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Try the chart on the briley web site. My opinion is that IC (.010) is a bit open (for me anyway) considering I break targets at around 30 yards. But my O/U with fixed chokes (.018 & .025) smokes 16 yard targets with the .018 constriction. That choke will also work fine for short yardage handicap.

One thing to remember - discussions about chokes, shells, shot sizes, etc. (16 yard targets) are just conversations and will not buy you a single target much less improve your average. Practice will make a difference, along with gun fit, stance, gun hold, eye hold, and other fundamentals.

9. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

99 chips and chucks beats 98 smoke and powder all the time....now that's confidence!

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

SilverShooter is incorrect.

You will never learn to shoot if all you get is "chips and chucks".

I have been shooting for 5 years and made the same mistakes,

Start with an IM.

SMOKED targets give you confidence!!!

I use a full for 16's and from the 25.

DO NOT LISTEN to club shooters unless they are shooting at least A class.

Go the ATA site and look up the names of those giving advice. Look at their scores, years shooting and targets per year. Do you want to shoot like a guy who has been in C glass for 10 years?

If they do not sign their names, ignore them.

Don Verna

11. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

IC is too open -unless- you quickly shoot the target as it comes up. I shoot a little later and a mod constriction is starting to falter. IM is a sure bet. I use as much spread as I can without leaving holes in the pattern. Your gun may have a preference as well. TM

12. 82nd Trooper

82nd Trooper TS Member

Thank you all for your advice.

I think the biggest thing now is just having "gun time". To practice , practice, practice.

Thanks again and what a great web site.

Scott

13. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Tight chokes will condition you to make a better move to the bird. Todd

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

A target can and WILL go thru an IC pattern and not break.

I have proved it on video several times.

What some forget is that trap targets are going away from you with more rim exposed and therefore are "harder" to break.

.020 is the most open that most anyone should use for singles.

15. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Everone should use Cylinder Bore thus giving the advantage to me!!! I use the "nsguy super special" choke!!!

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My opinion for a novice is to use a more open choke so you can at least start hitting targets. Nothing is more frustrating than clear misses with no idea where the shot column went. Learn to swing the gun and break targets. That's more important. Then once you start breaking them reasonably consistnt, even if it is just chips and chunks, move up in choke. The goal is to work towards a tighter choke. The advice above about a clay getting through an IC pattern is correct. Start with a Modified and work up to a Full. As for those advising "choke for smoke", modified will usually not pulverize a target to that extent, but, when you are shooting correctly it will nevertheless, from the 16, still bust up a target quite well.

BTW, from a technical standpoint, you're probably using cheap promo loads from Mao Mart or similar. Because the lead shot in these shells is soft, a tight choke can distort the shot more easily than the hard premium shot most experienced shooters use. Thus, a full choke may give more ragged patterns than a modified choke with these cheap loads. And an extra full almost assuredly will give a more ragged pattern. You'd have to pattern your gun to know for sure, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.