1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new shooter baaaad habits

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al3526, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

Hi. i am a new shooter with about 3 months experience. i have had the good fortue to shoot my first 25 on sat. but also shot my first registered 16 on sun. i believe i am lifting my head to watch bird break and some how shoot over the target. does anyone have a drill or exercise to overcome this problem? while i have the floor i would like to thank mia for some great advise as well as nj bob who has taken the time to help out both myself as well as my brother. thanks al hrosik

2. philk

philk Member

Velcro, duct tape and super glue are all effective.

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Fish hook and string. I have this problem from time to time what I have to do is tell myself to keep my head on the stock and I stay in the gun after the shot by following a piece of the bird after it breaks.

4. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Universal answer: Duck tape will doit

5. al3526

al3526 TS Member

yea sorry i didnt specify......am looking for methods that wont mar my porcelain like complexion. the person that does invent face velcro will be an instant millionaire though. al hrosik

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

When you mount your gun you will feel the pressure of the comb on your cheek. Think about keeping this pressure as you shoot the bird. It is easier for me to think about a specific thing (cheek pressure) than a general thing (don't lift head).

I will also add that you are a new shooter. I am not a new shooter. I have well over 300,000 registered birds and I still lift my head now and then.

Pat Ireland

7. al3526

al3526 TS Member

thanks pat. i was hopeing some of the guys with loads of experience would help me out. thanks will do. al hrosik

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Al,

Something that may help is to mount your gun higher on your shoulder. The top of the recoil pad should be about an inch above your collarbone. Mounting it below the collarbone often requires lowering the cheek too far to put the cheek on the comb. That is unnatural and there is a tendency to raise the head to a more natural position during swings.

A comb that is too high and requires excessive cheek pressure to align the beads or to look along the rib can also cause head raising to relieve the pressure.

Rollin

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

This is a common problem that every one experiences, even the most experienced shooter. I did once see a neat little trick a lady shooter once used. She had a piece of foam, kinda looked like an ear plug on a paper roll stick, like a lolipop, and she had it mounted between the space of her adjustable comb. It was mounted so it touched the corner of her mouth and she always knew where her gun was mounted and she said it help her from lifting her head. I suppose some real men outthere could substitute the paper roll stick with a steel rod and hold it with their teeth. Just kidding.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Have someone press the button in practice. Have the "puller" give you intentional slow pulls between a 1/2 sec. to 2 sec. late. Concentrate on keeping your head on the gun and shoot at every slow pull. Once you get comfortable shooting these slow pulls, making sure to concentrate on keeping that head down, prompt pulls will be a piece of cake. Just do it, it works.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Occationaly when practicing slip in a empty shell call and follow the target and pull the triger when you think it is right. You will know if your head lifts or you flintch. If you do then practice with an empty in your gun untill the bad move goes away.

Joe

12. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

For yrs. I shot guns that did not fit me. I am left handed. I was trying to shoot right handed guns. Many times a new shooter has no help. I would seek help on gun fit from someone like Gunfitter Joe. He builds custom stocks. You will find after many wasted dollars, you need a custom stock. Adding adj. combs. adj. butt plates changing pads and many other modifications, your best bet would have been a custom stock. If you are located near a custom stock fitter, by all means, go see them. You will be many dollars ahead. Where are you located? Surely there would be someone within driving distance that could help you. Roland Oswald will always have excellent suggestions. Don't make the mistakes I made. You will also find your gun will be a much easier gun to shoot. Hope this helps, Roy

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Lisen to Rollin, he is telling you the same thing I did. You need and adjustable butt plate in order to get enough sholder contact and at the same time keep your head erect.

Go to Rollin's web sight and order his book. With regard to stock fitting Rollin is the best...

14. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

the other classic practice technique is follow a chip all the way to the ground to insure you stay in the gun and are concentrating on the bird.

d

15. al3526

al3526 TS Member

thanks guys for all your help. i tried to mount my gun higher tonite and continued to follow the largest piece of the target to the ground. the first round was average the next two were better. was 87% for the nite which was acceptable for now. nj bob will pick your brain later bout adj butt plate. thanks again al hrosik

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Buy a crossfire adapter

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Goodness Jack!! Not every miss is related to crossfiring is it? Hap

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you concentrate on breaking on target at a time! Every time I get close to running 50 or 25 I start peaking bad habit to get in to. Think all I need is to break this target that should help.

19. al3526

al3526 TS Member

Thanks again all. Cant wait till wed. nite to shoot again and see if i can do well. thanks al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.