1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shooter and New to trapshooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jgb, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgb

jgb Member

I am new to shooting trap and I have a 686 white onyx sporting that I am trying to fit to shoot trap.Money is a concern and I want to get some opinions on whether I should put the money that I have to spend into this gun-Adjustable comb, and later add a bump buster adjustable pad or should I try to pick up a 682. I will also shoot some sporting clays with this gun. I also have a 391 sporting that I could set up for trap, but I think I prefer the O/U and I know I shoot the O/U better than the auto. I am very excited about getting a gun that fits me. Should I buy a trap barrel for the 686?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Your 686 will break trap targets just fine if you have screw in chokes. Presuming that you do put in a mod.-- improved mod. or a light full & shoot it until your sure of what you like (want--can afford), if need be add a layer or 2 of moleskin to the comb, this will help to keep the target visible above the bbl. when you pull the trigger, ie. make the gun shoot a little higher for rising targets. Meanwhile ask other shooters if you could try their gun & set-up for a few shots most will be happy to let you try & also tell you why they like what they have.

Main thing HAVE FUN & don't be afraid to ask questions we all started somewhere-- sometime & learned from others. Ross Puls

3. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Don't spend a bunch of money up front until you find out what you need. The moleskin is an inexpensive way to adjust your comb if you need it higher. Another inexpensive adjusting tool is a "Morgan adjustible buttpad". This will correct any canting issues you may have as well as the gun sitting too high or too low when properly mounted. The new morgan pads have plastic adjusting plates, this is what you want. The reason to go with the plastic is that you can fit the pad to your gun by yourself rather easily. This is what I have done. Remove the factory butt plate and see how the holes on the morgan pad will line up to your existing screw holes. I they don't line up exactly get a dremel tool and modify the morgan plate NOT YOUR STOCK! After you have the plate screwed onto to your gun it will be time to remove the excess plastic that does not line up to your stock. Trace a line around your stock's butt onto the excess plastic on the butt pad. REMOVE THE BUTT PAD and take it over to a belt sander and sand off the excess. Once looks good on the gun you can put the rest of the adjusting equipment onto the pad and fit it to yourself. To fit the pad: I leave the adjusting screws just loose enough where you can adjust it by hand. Close your eyes, mount the gun getting the correct feel for the butt in your shoulder now open your shooting eye(s) and see where the sights are lined up. If you see a snowman with the beads then tighten the pad up you are done. If they don't line up correctly hand adjust the pad until it does.

This will do a lot for you and the fitting of your gun. The best part is the price: The recoil pad and adjustable plates will run you between $30 - $40 bucks. Also if you screw up with the dremel tool or the sander you can just replace the parts you messed up, and not have to buy a whole new kit.

Good Luck and keep shooting.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

jgb, First off since your new to shooting I'll explain that the adj. comb and the adj. butt plate will run you $400-$500 plus shipping perhaps to have them installed. If you ever plan to sell your shotgun you will not get back much of this investments. Perhaps 50% at best. Adding a recoil devise will run extra money as well. Some will get a recoil device w/ built in adj. butt plate. These are very good to have. Less recoil and a totally adj. gun to fit you are very important. But as said you'll lucky to get back 50% of your investment and some shooters will not buy a gun that has altered wood stock. Now if you buy a PFS Stock, which you can pick up a used one for around 800 dollars it will come with a adj. comb. a adj. butt plate and already has one of the best recoil reducers on the market. Take off your stock and install. Keep your untouched wood at home so it stays in perfect condition. You will have to talk to Vern Brown (E-mail is precisionfit@pcisys.net), but I believe the same stock that fits your 686 will fit the 682 and 687 as well. So if you plan to upgrade down the road just switch the stock around to your new gun, install your old untouched wood and sell gun. If you ever plan to get out of shooting you can sell your PFS (seperatly) for what you paid it for and lose "nothing". Only downside is they look like a robot unless you paint them up to look like wood. That can be done if you like. Best of Luck on your shooting and have fun. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.