1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shooter and ATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Mount Vernon Ohio
    Just getting into trapshooting and spending most of my time with "games" ie protection, annies etc. My question is about ATA.
    Id love to be able to shoot registered birds (and join ATA) but the nearest club that throws registered is >50 mi., so its not too convenient.
    My question. If I dont have an ATA average, can I shoot in things like the State shoot????? I understand where average would play into it for HCP, but singles are singles...right????
    Can someone explain how all this works??

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Though your state may have "penalty" provisions - a minimum class and/or yardage for someone without a set number of targets in his or her card - you can certainly go and have fun. If there is "penalty" it will be spelled out in the state shoot program.

Also, you may (or may not) be required to join your state association. Sometimes it's free, sometimes a few bucks, but you would have to do that at any shoot in your state, not just the big one.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    mikkeeh welcome to the trap shooting world. As far as ATA shooting is concerned I provided a website in the Web Address line above it is a full on line Rulebook which provide you with a lot of information on how classifacation and handicap all work.

You can read it at your leisure and maybe it will help you make a more informed decision about whether you want to become part of ATA shooting or not. I hope you choose to at least try it. What ever your decision Good luck and good shooting.

Bob Lawless
  4. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I don't believe that your question was really answered. When shooting singles you are placed in a "class" based on your average. Below is the class breakdown for the Western Zone shoot in Arizona. Some shoots will place new shooters in C or B class until they have shot a minimum number of targets. This minimum may be anywere from 500 to 1,000.

AAA 98% and over

AA 96.25% and under 98%

A 94.75% and under 96.25%

B 93% and under 94.75%

C 90% and under 93%

D Under 90%

When shooting handicap it is similar to this only you will be placed on perhaps the 23 or 25 yard line until you have shot enough targets to establish a true yardage

In most cases if you do not wish to shoot at a penalty yardage you can shoot "Targets Only". This would mean you are not qualified for any trophies.
  5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Welcome Mikeeh,
    ATA is the way to optimize your trapshooting competition. It's just as fun, only in a different way. I hope you love it as much as I have for the past 35 years.

If you find the penalties and other rules for beginners a bit obstructive note that the ATA has the obligation to protect their members from evil doers who have snuck in and tried to "beat the system." Too bad because I am sure that's not your intent.

Consider this very brief period your initiation. A hazing if you will. In a short time you will be on the path to a sport with a lifetime of fun and excitement. It is played and enjoyed at many levels with your commitment and physical limitations the only obstacles.

Welcome to the "Lifetime Sport!"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.