1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new shooter 7.5 or 8?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by John S., Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S.

John S. TS Member

I'm a new shooter should I 7.5 or 8's?

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Eights will do it from anywhere on the field. More shot usually equals more periferal hits.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

John, eights will work for you for a while. Shoot them and don't worry about it anymore.

Neil

4. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

size8 for 16 yards. 7.5 better for longer hdcp. In cold weather I always use 7.5 7.5 retains both velocity and energy better than 8. But,try 8.5 on a warm day at 16 yards and see some smoke.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just pick one and stay with it, or for now shoot what ever 12g shells you can get for less money. Heck I just like 7.5s for everything.

6. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I agree both will work. I use mostly 8's but in cold (winter) weather I usually go to 7.5s. Good luck and have fun!!!

7. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have shot 8's from the 27yd line shooting protectors in sub-zero weather and the work fine,althought In colder weather I do usually use 7.5's

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

8`s will work for anything . Don`t get your head mixed up .

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

If 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 puts enough pellets in the air to break 100 straight from the 27 yard line (assuming the shooter can point the gun in the right direction 100 times) it certainly puts enough pellets in the air to break 'em all at the 16. IMO, the only reason to use 8's rather than 7 1/2 for trap is when you're going to lighter shot charges and want to keep pellet count up.

~Michael

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

The most important lesson you can learn in trapshooting is and it can be applied to your above question is ...

It aint the shell or shot size or choke or gun or almost anything else that makes for poor shooting but it is the shooter that makes for poor shooting.

Get whatever shell you can get cheaply whether it is a $7.5 or a #8 and shoot. Get a few pointers and lessons from a good coach and shoot ... the more you can shoot the better you will be and far down your trap shooting path of enjoyment you begin to worry about which shot is better than the other and just like now it wont make really a bit of difference unless you desire to blame poor shooting on something else other than yourself.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It's not the size of the pellets that matter, it is the number. But, it is not the number of pellets in a pattern that matters, it is the total number of pellets you put up as in shoot a lot of whatever.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

When shooting long range with a 20 gauge you see the difference between 8's and 7 1/2's. Yesterday I was in a field with a thrower taking 45 and 50 yard crossing shots with my 20. Even with the higher pellet count of the 8's the 7 1/2's are better with each individual pellet having more breaking power. I don't notice the difference as much with my 12 because of the large no. of pellets in 1 1/8 ounce no. 8 load compensates some for the lesser energy per pellet. But I am sure that what I clearly see with my 20 has to also be true for the 12. 7 1/2's are more efficient at long range clays. It takes fewer hits to break a long range target with the bigger pellets.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Neil said.

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Not exactly what Neil said because 8's will always work and when they stop working it aint the 8's but the shooter.

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

8's are better from the 16 yard line due to the higher pellet count. 7 1/2's are better from the back line due to the higher energy per pellet which more than compensates for the lower pellet count.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

And what is the energy difference between a 7.5 and an 8 at 40 yards?

And can one pellet of either size break a target at 40 yards?

And what is more important to energy transfer, pellet size or whether the pellet hits on the leading or trailing side of the rotational direction of the target?

And what is more important to energy transfer, pellet size or whether the pellet hits on the front, mid or trailing angular direction side of the target?

And what is more important to energy transfer, pellet size or whether the pellet hits on an acute or obtuse structural feature of the target?

And does harder shot transfer more energy than softer shot?

In reality, there are so many variables in regards to the energy transfer potential of any individual pellet on any given target that to reduce the calculation down to just shot weight and speed is absurd.

OTH, putting your pattern just ahead and above where the target is, pretty much works every time.

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

John ... let the babblers babble and go purchase some shells and shoot. #8's if they are cheap because they do have more shot than 7-1/2's but if ya cant get 8's than dont worry and get the 7-1/2's but just get either or and get out and shoot.

Let the rest babble like igits about the bullarkey while the rest of us go out and shoot.

Now if ya want to know which choke to use you can start another thread and ask and watch them babbling babblers babble more on that topic as well.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Modified with the 8's from the 16 and full with the 7 1/2's from the back line. You can use no. 9's and a skeet choke for everything if you want to. But if you have the proper choke and shot size you will optimize your performance.

19. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

If you through a 5gallon bucket of either at the bird,but are so far off you miss it it doesnt matter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.