1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new shells/vs/reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sterlingworth, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Today at my club,I shot 100 16yd targets,the first 25 with new shells.Broke a 20,and I was disapponted. For the next 75 targets I used my reloads. Broke a 24,24,and a 25. Went to handicap,shot reloads for the first 25,broke a 24. For the next 75 targets I used new shells[sts,3 dram]and the best I could do was a 21. Could there be such a difference between the reloads and new? Has anyone else have this happen? I would just like to hear the response of others. Thank you for you time...Ray

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Put it on paper.

The different brands may say 1200fps and 1oz, but they may not all pattern the same when using your favorite choke.

If your going to shoot a mix of factory and reloads, I gather you need to find a wad, powder, and shot mix that will match the factory pattern or your always going to have ups and downs (or your going to have to try a different brand of shell or use a different choke).

Again, put it on paper (and my favorite is just lock down the trap and see if you like the breaks at various distances)

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My scores in Singles are about the same whether I use my reloads or cheaper steel base factory loads. I'm sure my Handicap reloads are better than Gun Clubs because I use hard magnum lead shot but they are not better than premium shells like AA. I load to the same velocity as the factory shells I buy.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't believe any reload can exceed the premium factory loads. If that were the case the winning bigdogs would all have someone reloading to their formulae.

Reloaders do not have the benefit of blended powders, new hulls.

Maybe as good as, but, never better..

5. 548

548 Guest

My bet is that you are recoil sensitive. You have optimised your recoil comfort level through trial and error with your reloads, therefore your scores reflect your preference.

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

A new shell does not make it always better than a reload. Some of the new less expensive shells are cheap!

Look at what is in some of the new ones.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As stated by OP ; STS

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I feel that I'm reloadig as good as or better if that is possible than AA's or STS's. I guess that is an over statement.

I trust my reloads more than any cheap promo shell out there.

If I miss a target it not due to my shells. You might have a mind game going on. It's easy to get your head messed up.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It seems that your gun likes reloads, listen to your gun. HMB

10. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

My reloads are DEFINITELTY as good as factory premiums....at 1/2 the cost.
    I can say without blushing that, if the next target were worth $1,000 cash to me, I'd want my reload in the gun.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try to match your as close as you can the feel and speed of your reloads to your preferred shell. That is what I try to do, and it seems to work.

12. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

No way any reload is better than a factory STS.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When the All Americans start to reload and use them for competition then I will believe reloaders can make a better shell, until then the reloaders are all blowing smoke and making up excuses so even they believe it (if they truly believe it) ... There ain't no way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

WPT
    Most of the all Americans are on a shell program.(free shells) They have no incentive to reload. With good reloads,they would do just as well. I feel I can load a shell just as good as the premium loads.(not better) Probably better than the Eurotrash loads.
    Clyde

15. John55

John55 Active Member

Absolutely, the top shooters in the game are shooting new shells because they are FREE! Best advertising the ammo companies can get. Let them all start paying for them like the rest of us and then see what they shoot. There is no reason in the world that a reload cannot be just as good as a premium factory shell. This isn't rocket science, just use premium shot, quality hulls and and other good components and the results will be the same.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Kay and Deb shoot plenty of reloads. Anyone here good enough to beat 'em with their factory loads!!

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can bet the Top Guns are thankful for all of those that think reloads are better or just as good ... When its all on the line I'd bet even Kay and Deb shoot the good stuff ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. thunder

thunder Active Member

All-Americans shoot more than we ever will in a year. They don't have the time to reload all those shells doing seminars and traveling all the time. Also many get some type of discount on their factory shells.

My reloads work better than factory for me because they have been patterned for my gun and poi I like.

They have less recoil due to my speed of shells for my poi, factory 1145, 1200 and 1250 fps are most of the time a lot faster than they are advertised at (yes I allow for chronograph measure differences, take factory shell out and test them).

The powder I use is normally softer felt recoil than shooting factory loads (I use pb or green dot in handicap).

My shot is right at 492 to 495 grains, when you open a factory shell most of the time is 505 to 509 grains. (more perceived recoil)

I use nothing but hard shot, many non premium loads on the market is very soft shot.

The crimp on many factory shells are deeper to lessen the powder charge and keep the pressure up. This all translates into more felt recoil than my reloads. I try and keep my crimp at .065 to .070.

Yes I believe I load a better shell than factory. If I do shoot factory its Winchester AA. For some reason I shoot them better than other factory shells.

If you shoot factory shells, set your gun poi for them, that is what the All American shooter do.

Yes I am very recoil sensitive.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that the quality of the new STS round is not the reason the op was shooting 20's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.