1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW shells-handicap only-buy anywhere-Thanks EC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by primed, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Thank you EC. I think this decision is as good as it gets. A very reasonable compromise. Well done.

Bob

2. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

O.K. I'm going again

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

It's like the Silence of the Lambs.....

Nothing like logic, reason and patience to quell the expectorations of the nay-sayers and ignorant ranters.

Guy Babin

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Good call EC on the singles & doubles to allow reloads. I remain unconvinced that an "illegal" shell could ever buy a win in handicap but I guess for $100,000 & the request of the donor for factory shells only, it's an OK decision. I guess all the calls & emails to our delegates did not go unheard. Thanks.

6. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

well done, thanks for putting this to bed.

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Hey Guy

You're being kind of hard on the Executive Director.

I know on March 1st he said "The donors have requested a stipulation that all new ATA conforming ammunition be used in order to reduce this possibility. As a result the ATA will return to mandatory shell purchases at the Grand American through an ATA managed shell house." But to use the term ignorant ranter is just plain rude.

If you look at the first sentence in the quote, he was right on. The second sentence was a bit of a stretch, granted, but please play nice.

Bob

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Let's review:

A donor offers the ATA money only if the event is governed by the donor's rules which is new shells are to be used.

The ATA excepts the conditions and relays to the shooters new shells must be used.

The ATA is praised for accepting the conditions.

Guy Babin you are correct. "Ignorant ranters" let that one slip way over their head.

Mark Rounds

9. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Guy, you don't get it. The rants here are what led to this decision. In fact, the statement on the ATA website reads like they ripped the text out of some of the posts here on the subject.

EE

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Merci Beaucoup.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

You missed my point Bob--my fault.

EE,

I suspect the powers that be may have been aware of the commentary here, but hardly think that the TS.com negativity and misinformed commentary was a majority influencing factor. It's a tad narcissistic to think so in my opinion.

The EC is comprised of bright and experienced professionals from various walks of life who are committed to the health of our sport. They have proven their commitment and sense of professionalism by revisiting the initial call and issuing a change that exhibits wisdom and consensus.

R,

Guy B.

12. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I didn't hear, from Bill Martin's mouth to God's ear, any "conditions" that came with the donations, so don't assume anything. The ATA is in charge of the Grand American.

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

So the ATA decided this might be a good time to slip the new shell money maker back into the mix?

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Guy, Karla, you apparently missed the post by Frank Rively (I'm going to just assume you know Frank is the Executive Director of the ATA). Here is a portion of a post that Dr. Rively made here on trapshooters.com:

"No need for further speculation. Here is the agreement Bill, LeeAnn, and I came to at the Spring Grand a couple days ago.
    The donors have requested a stipulation that all new ATA conforming ammunition be used in order to reduce this possibility. As a result the ATA will return to mandatory shell purchases at the Grand American through an ATA managed shell house. This is the basic structure as required by our generous donors. Further details will be provided as decided.

Frank R. Rively

ATA Executive Director"

No one was misinformed. And yes, "conditions" came with the donation. Clearly, this came directly from ATA leadership in an official statement. To say that the rants here were based on misinformation, or assumptions, is just wrong. Flat wrong.

Hope this helps.

EE

15. zinger

zinger Member

Based on what was originally said by Frank, I believe that possibly the Martin's stipulated that only new shells be used for the handicap events, which I think is not too much to ask considering what's at stake. I would hope they didn't want new shells for the whole Grand.
    I also think the ATA looked at this as an opportunity to reinstate the mandetory shell deal using only part of the request of the Martin's? Either way, it's water under the bridge, everyone's happy (for now..lol) and I look forward to August!

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

zinger, you may be right. The extent of the stipulation is unknown (maybe we should ask Rick Marshall). But, it is water under the bridge at this point. Folks ought to be able to accept the fact that the ATA's first whack at this policy was very unpopular, but they listened and changed for the better with a much more responsible policy. Good for them, and us. Thank you ATA. Let's move on.

EE

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I asked on another thread if anyone actually heard Bill and or LeAnn Martin mention anything about new shells or stipulate that they be used for any part of or all of the Grand American ... The question has yet to be answered probably because I also asked for a real name to be attached to the response ... I could see where Bill and LeAnn might say that they prefer and or even stipulate new shells be used for the Handicap events but have very strong doubts that they included any other events, until I hear it from someone who heard it first hand or them ... I believe that the ATA figured this was a prime opportunity combined with a $100,000 shoot out, to reintroduce the use of new shells by including all events which gives them a considerable amount of income ... The ATA/EC did the only thing they could do to keep the 2010 Grand American from becoming toast from lack of attendence which has been droping like the water over Niagra Falls anyway ... The $100,000 might help but its not going to cure the attendence issues once its been won by some "Lucky" shooter ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. biff

biff Active Member

WPT, You are right in my estimation of what transpired. It also seemed that anyone who brought this up was considered a "WHINER"! It also showed just how big the gap in what is right and fair in our membership, the ones who can easily afford it had NO sympathy for the shooters that could not have been able to afford to come to the Grand this year. Had not the "Whiners" said anything, Mandatory New Shells would have gone unchallenged because"No one complained about it!" I'm just glad the EC did respond as they did in the best interests for ALL shooters. Biff

19. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

You mean trapshooting as we know it hasn't been destroyed?

That the republic is safe again?

That the "give me liberty or give me death" crowd in the ATA is silent?

Man, this sucks. I JUST BOUGHT a full case of Lipton instant for a bunch of folks on here to dump in the lake at Sparta. Money wasted.

Tongue firmly in cheek....what a lot of twaddle about NOTHING, if you ask me. Be grateful for the gift.

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

"Further details will be provided as decided."

EE,

The above lifted from your quote is a future progressive statement from the ED, indicating the preliminary nature of the announcement and that specifics would follow.

I hope that helps.

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.