1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New shells at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fenoc, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenoc

fenoc Member

Since it appears that the Martins will not be part of this years Grand American will we still be required to use new shells for handicap?

Ian

2. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Now thats a good question.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet nothing will change. New shells for caps from here on. Just my guess.

4. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I would say no. But one never knows, maybe the shell mfg's will kick in extra money to shoot for?? Matt Nicol

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What's up with the Martins?

6. riggs

riggs Member

I think we should use new Shells we always did before

7. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Hey Bo,

Send an email to the ATA's new EX. Director he has answered my emails quickly.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There was some discussion about going back to "on-the-ground-bought-shells" but don't know how well it was received. With the price that shells are these days, it might not go so well.

I always thought that the cost of shells should be subsidized by the ammo companies. It would be a good promotional tool to get more shooters to the Grand making it a bigger shoot and increasing the ranks of registered trap shooters since a lot of close by shooters would make the trip for 'cheap shells' and good hulls. You know trapshooters, we'll drive 100 miles to save a dime on a bag of shot.

Seems like the friendly thing to do.

9. John55

John55 Active Member

Since the Martins have decided to take their money elsewhere, I would hope it goes back to the old rule of allowing reloads. Shooting the Grand costs enough as it is and having to pay $8.00 per box is enough more that many would likely not shoot, or severely limit their events. Remington did not offer rebates this past year, and it remains to be seen if the others will follow their lead. If no rebates are offered, I cannot imagine the ATA requiring the use of new shells on any events...if they want any attendance to speak of.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think the Martins' are fabulous promotors of trapshooting. I would have directed some of that money elsewhere though. They would have gotten a lot more "bang" for their bucks.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mandatory new shells will hurt attendance big time in my opinion. Under the circumstances of uncertainty in everything today, putting more financial burden on shooters may be the straw that breaks. I'm sure our leadership will consider all this before making that decision?

Hap

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Martins gave willingly to try and increase the attendance of the Grand and it did't work ... Who can blame them for not investing another $550,000 when the first $550,000 did do it ..? Thats 4 to 5 years pay for a lot of people and even more for a lot of others ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

If the new gun legislation passes in Illinois the Grand may have to be moved to????????????????????????????

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Should have never been their anyway. I dought if Ill bans guns. To much money comming in all at one time at the grand. The Ill machine has to many fingers in the pile to stop someting that draws that kind of big money at once. Bill

15. JT 27

JT 27 Member

New shells for all targets shot during the weeks of The Grand(preliminary & Grand wk.s) was the norm until Vandalia was closed. The new shell requirement was waived the first year at Sparta in an effort to bring in more shooters. My thought would be for the ATA to sell the shells as they originally did to supplement their income.

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

If the ATA were to make new shells mandatory at all events at the Grand, in MHO the Grand as we know it would cease to exist.

Reloads were allowed the last year the Grand was in Vandalia, and in 06 and 07 at Sparta, after that I don't know because 07 was my last year there..

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mandateing new shells for all events under the circumstances would not be in the best interest of the shooters or the ATA, there are far to many loose ends, the economy is already fragile and unpredictable ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. insight

insight TS Member

While this post was about new shells for handicap events at the grand,and weather it will continue. I would have to say yes.

The questions raised about the Martins support for trapshooting is well.

The Martins have supported many states and clubs over the years and it is continuing. Just not at the Grand in Sparta at this time.

They have put there money up front to help raise attendance at the grand. Who else has stepped to the lind to do so. We have many shooters who have more money than the martins. So what about there monitory support.

If you want to shoot for the Martins donated money at shoots you will have to travel to the gun clubs that he supports at the current time.

Just look at Tucson and the reconstruction of this fine gun club.

Who knows with the way the state of Illinois is going on gun control the grand maybe could move to Arizona.

19. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me how much concern is always expressed about the Grand by those who have never attended & have no plans to ever attend.......maybe concern isn't the right term?

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

What Gary said.
    Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.