1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Shell comparison - AA vs. Winch. Super Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack L. Smith, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I like AA's but I don't reload. Can anybody provide specific details comparing the components of these two Winchester shells - AA vs. Super targets?

I am seeking to find if the hull is the only difference, or just the main difference.

What is the same and what is different between these two?

thanks,

js in PA

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

One loads well, the other doesn't

3. John55

John55 Active Member

They both use the same AA wad, and likely the same WW 209 primer. The AAs have the 6% antimony shot, whereas the STs use 4%. Don't know what powders are used in each. I would say this comparison holds true for all the major brands when comparing their premium target loads to their "cheap" versions.

4. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

320090T, your right one loads well and one doesn't. In my case the AA doesn't load well. John55 has it right, premium versus promo. For singles I don't think you will see a difference, short to mid caps probably won't see one either. The problem is that with the rebate you can probably buy the AA's cheaper than the Super Targets.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

The AA's load better than the Super targets. If you press is not set up right, you can collapse the AA a little which will result in a crease around the lower end if the case.

The Super Targets will load fair, but the crimps are less than fair and will vpbe troublesome.

The steel case rim on the Super Target might not seat in your gun if the case is not correctly resized.

I tried the ST's by loading once and letting them fly, but finally gave up on the, for they were too much trouble.

The Winchester Universal loads easier than the ST and is cheaper to purchase.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought 5 flats of AA's and got my $100 rebate back pretty fast and I only sent in the UPC labels from each flat. The AA lead shot is harder but even the Super Targets have harder shot than Gun Clubs.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What they are telling you is the difference is only in your mind. That has always been the biggest, and most important difference in shooting success.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I am not a good one to answer this question, but I did open up a Super Target and the pellets are very uniform. I 'm big fan of brass bases but I may be shooting all steel base next season. Maybe not too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa vs super target

winchester aa vs super target

winchester universal vs aa