1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New scam !

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by larryjk, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryjk

larryjk Member

Recently I went on an internet search for parts for a rifle that I knew would be difficult to find. One of the responders didn't have what I wanted but steared me to a fellow he said would have what I needed.
    I contacted the guy and he had what I wanted. I asked him for a quotation and he gave me the price and the cost of shipping. I said I would take the parts and would send a bank money order so he would be assured of payment and I wouldn't have to wait for a check to clear. The parts arrived in a reasonable amount of time but hre is the kicker. The invoice shows a higher price than was quoted me and a note saying I owed him another $10.00. That's not a large amount of money and I sent it but I sent along a note that I specifically asked for a quote and sent him the exact amount. I considered this an ethical problem.
    I needed the parts and probably would have paid the higher amount if he had quoted it originally. But, it rather burned my butt to have him insinuate I underpaid him. Is this becoming a common practice?

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Doesn't sound like a scam. Sounds like he made a mistake in his quote so he sent the parts as quoted and asked for the difference he should have quoted to begin with. A simple explanation from him would have been in order though rather than just saying you owed him another $10. As it stands you owe him nothing and have the parts. You now have to decide if you want to send another $10. Send him/or call him and ask what the deal is.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Does sound like a simple mistake to me. I was pleased to see that wireguy knows about verbal contracts. They are legal and binding.

Pat Ireland

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Pat, as long as the verbal contract is within the parameters of the Statute of Frauds which most states have.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would not have sent the money. Let him explain the upcharge and only then I would decide if it was legitimate. An honest mistake is one thing, intentional deceit is another.

HM

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

From now on you can have Gordon send the extra $10---He He He.

7. C H S

C H S TS Member

<I>"No it aint right, but good god man its only TEN BUCKS,..."</I>

I don't know what $10 buys where you live, but where I live it will get me back and forth to town at least 3 times for food and whatever else I need.

Andy

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hitapair- I agree with you. I suspect all states have a Statute of Frauds. Perhaps we could start a new thread and discuss valid, void and voidable contracts. Few shooters know, or care, that the contract is an agreement and what might be written on paper is only an explanation of the agreement. We might be able to create the most boring thread that has ever been posted on this site.

Pat Ireland

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Was the quote a contract? Maybe... Possibly it was an invitation to purchase, but as was said contracts can be verbal and enforceable, but what's happened to all of us - thankfully, many suggested paying the $10 and even Larryjk was willing.

Not having seen what actually transpired - the vendor did get was was needed and in a timely manner and solved larryjk's problem.

Recently, someone wanted some hulls - I offered them at no charge, but cover the shipping. Gas is real money now and I asked for an extra $1 to cover the mileage - was I a jerk for the $1 after the fact? maybe, but in the real world we have to be flexible - not worth the Nexium! (lol)

Jay Spitz

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

If a mistake was made I would have explained with a note in the shipment, or a phone/e-mail message etc PRIOR to shipment arriving at buyers place. Just a note that states that you owe me another 10 bucks is a BAD way to do business. Sounds like a gouge at the least. I'm reasonable but it's the manner in which it was done that I disagree with. 1, $10, or $100 it's still a gouge.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Price quote and shipped is the price. Many business price jack after the quote.

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Chalk this up to a learning experience (tuition = $10) about buying off the internet. It is like going to the bad part of town blindfolded with your money taped to your forehead and asking out loud if anyone can help you. Good Luck - only deal with reputable firms locally - or - expect to get burned. Best Regards, Ed

13. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I think jerry has it right- A phone call would have been in order-but
    a lot od people think a quote is a guestimate. I have had this happen
    a lot on gun repairs.
    Joe

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

ONE, how much were the parts? If the parts were $300, then I could see the $10 being a mistake/oversight and would have paid it as you did.
    If the parts were $15, then I'd have said "Sorry, you quoted me $XX, I sent $XX, you sent the parts. Contract fulfilled."

TWO, some of you guys look up the definition of "quote". It's not an "estimate". At least, not in the legal sense.
    Larry, how was the original price given to you, as a quote or as an estimate????

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Contract = Offer + Acceptance + Consideration

Gotta have all three. You had all three.

16. larryjk

larryjk Member

He "quoted" me the price and the shipping costs. I sent him the exact amount by bank money order. The original was $68.70 and he said he had the parts on hand. The invoice with the shipment listed "Shortage - balance due". I sent the $10.00 and a note about business ethics.

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

No one has mentioned that a simple phone call regarding the up charge may have solved the whole issue. I certainly would have called him and asked why the higher then agreed price.

I bet that we would not be having this thread if that was first done...unless I have missed something.

Bernie

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Maybe he just can't add. If he is a poster on here, he should send back the $10.00

YOU HEAR THAT, PILGRIM?

HM

19. ccridr

ccridr Member

Gordy, you are a true gentleman, and I am sure that you are as good as your word. There for, I in fact do need $10, please send it soonest.
    Thanks again, Colby
    PS
    Any one who would like to join Gordy, please feel free to do so, I am a collector of 10 dollar bills.

20. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If I have any verbal financial dealings with someone, I always make it a point to follow up with an email summarizing the deal, i.e. what he is going to send me and what I am going to pay him. That way, we both have a written record of what the deal was.

If the seller sends me the item and then asks for an additional $10, he had better have a VERY good reason why I should pay the extra $10 to him or I won't send it. I wonder what the seller would think if I sent him the agreed amount of money and then asked him to return $10 of it to me since I had made a mistake in figuring out how much I should pay for the item?????

I have had a few dealings with members of TS.com and on other gun boards too and have never had any complaints on either end of the deal. I still recall buying a trigger assembly from a gentlemen here a few years ago. He sent me the trigger assembly and said to try it out for a week or so. If I liked it, I could send him X amount of dollars. If I didn't like it, I could return it to him in the same condition as received and owe him nothing. I received the trigger assembly, tried it out, liked it, and sent him the exact amount he asked for. We were both satisfied with the deal. He was a real gentleman about it and trusted me to do the right thing even though he didn't know me at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.