1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New savage 17 cal rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

I am close to purchasing a new savage 17 cal with varmit scope from cableas for varmits around the farm. I am looking for coments if you have one or have used one. I am concerned about carry distance of round in regard to safety. Thanks in advance. poppy5

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Poppy,

I have shot over 1000 rounds through one. Mine was left handed and before the new trigger system so I had to put a Rifle Basix sear in it before the trigger was usable. It is quite accurate and useful on Prairie Dogs out to about 200 yards. Over that range the bullet just runs out of gas and may not expand properly. With regard to safety the round will not ricochet nearly as bad as a 22 rimfire but it still requires caution when shooting in populated areas. I have no idea how far a round would carry if it were to be fired into the air but the day of shooting without adequate backstop is pretty well passed around here.

If it doesn't have the AccuTrigger don't buy it.

jim brown

3. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I too have an older .17 Savage with a Basix trigger sear. I have shot prairie dogs out to 150 yards but the wind does affect the small bullet. They do not ricochet like a .22. The longer I've shot the gun the more accurate it becomes. Try different ammo. Mine shoots the CCI better than the Hornady loads and has a completely different impact point when shooting the 20 grain loads. Try several different loads before choosing one. Indoor accuracy at 50 yards is really good....the wind can affect your shots. I really enjoy shooting the gun. Good luck. Check out the site rimfire.com (I think) as it deals with many of the issues you'll be wondering about.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

I believe I shall just stick with my .222. Or even the .22 mag.

5. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Can someone explaine why they came out with the short 17, based on the long rifle case. Noise? Seems as though you would want the full power of the mag casing.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Once again, here's my Savage 93 in 17HMR. I love the gun, but as Jim Brown stated, you need to either get a Basix trigger sear or be sure that it has the Accu-trigger set up. Nice flat shooter up to about 150...but, I do know guys that can group them well at 200 meters.

Tron.

7. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

With no wind, prarie dogs can be laid to rest at 250 yards as witnessed be Jerry Shilling and Jim Brown in Sheridan but try to catch a time when the wind does not blow there!! This was with a std Savage bull-bbl and 4X16 scope (you can't shoot a gnat in the a$$ if you can't see the gnat's a$$) and, yes, I did do a "trigger-job" on it. JMHO......merlyn....

8. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Belt sander and emory wheel -- same as usual-LOL......m

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

All 3 of my kids have Savage MKI-FVT Bolt .22's with Accu-triggers and Williams Peep sights. We mainly use them for 50’ 4-H target shooting but I’ve had these out on our clubs 100 yard range and they are incredible. These guns are fantastic and out shoot guns that cost 5 times as much. I highly recommended them. Savage has definitely stepped it up.

Roger

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also have the Savage like Trons and also I have the CZ452 in the 17Mach2 and really love it..great trigger, very accurate and perfect for my woodchuck control because its a fair amount quieter. I made a noise abatement muffler that I shoot through and the neighbors are totally undisturbed.

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

CalvinMD, Can you describe your noise abatement muffler? Did you make it? I live in a small town and can't shoot a 22/17 in town. I can shoot the CB shorts and longs without anyone noticing but they don't have the range I need. My savage 93R17 is very accurate also. Jackie B.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Hey, I can see you tell the ATF guys: this is a noise abatement muffler, not a suppressor. Right!

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

CalvinMD, What I meant to say was did you make the suppressor from scratch? Do you have a outline or something to go by? I really need one for my in town shooting. A while back I shot a squirrel out of my pecan tree and next thing I knew here comes two police officers around my house with pistols drawn pointed in the air and had received a report of gunshots. I told them I only shot once and they could have the squirrel if they wanted. I got off with a warning. Jackie B.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you are going to shoot coyotes and fox the gun will do it but it isn't pretty. My father in law has killed three bob cats and 4 or 5 coyotes with his and shot placement is key. It's not like shooting a 22-250 where you just put it on them and it's all over. If you need the critters to drop in their tracks I would not reccomend it. It does the job but if you are shooting wise critters that are getting out on you( i.E they start to run the second a screen door opens) it just isn't enough gun. If all you are doing is shooting the occasional skunk or coon it will be fine. Jeff

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought the new Savage 17HMR with laminated thunbhole stock/ it came with 3-9 variable power scope, stainless steel barrell, ventilated stock, free floating Bbl. on sale here in Ohio at Buckeye Outdoors for $ 329.00 +tax, CCI V-max bullets were on sale for $9.99. Sighted it in yesterday, very satisfied with results, it has the Accu-trigger, very nice.

Dr.longshot

16. CalvinMD

My muffler is nothing more than a very old rectangular metal office waste basket...I cut an opening in the center of the bottom leaving about 1.5" around perimeter. Then its was lined with egg crate foam ...it sits right on my bench rest and with the muzzle insert about 8" in I can move it and see and shoot through it...from any Rimfire all you hear is a "Bwump" like a basketball bounced on a carpeted floor : ) Bwump!...dead groundhog

17. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

I have one also, caused AZ Game and Fish to put blacktailed jacks on the "threatened species" list! Mike

18. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I HAVE THE NEW THUMBHOLE MODEL WITH SCOPE RINGS THAT I'LL SELL YOU FOR 275.00 plus shipping. I BOUGHT THE RIFLE FOR A PRAIRIE DOG HUNT THAT NEVER MATERIALIZED SO IT'S BEEN FIRED ENOUGH TO SIGHT IT IN.

19. CalvinMD

every groundhog and crow at the wrong end of mine has instantaneously met his maker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.