1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#New Rib Design by Devault Industries@

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

I wanted to share our latest project. The photos below are of a Kolar Sporting Gun. The customer did not like the fact that the barrels did not shoot the same POI even when the hangers were changed and he did not like the fixed rib on the barrel. The barrels were 34", one was a carrier barrel set up for tube sets. We fixturered the barrels and shot all the barrels with a lazer to determine the POI they were and then what they needed to be. All the original hardware was removed from the barrels and with the 3Dcad we determined the distance the barrels had to be spread apart to impact the same at 40 yds. All four barrels now impact to each other within 1". The other problem was in the stock, with the sloped style stock the recoil was quite offensive. We managed to salavage the main body of the stock and just built a custom comb that is now parallel to the bores. This set-up seemed to soften the felt recoil considerably. I think this repair will be very beneficial to the Perazzi and other like guns with side ribs. We get calls everyday asking if we can re-soldier the side ribs back on and I keep asking why. This system makes more sence. No silver soldier, no excessive heat to make a barrel walk around and change the POI. The only heat that the barrel saw was the bluing process. When the original rib was removed it came off very easily with minimal heat to the actual barrel. Enjoy the photos. This process will be available in February after we do the cost study.

Thank you,

Dennis Devault

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=Kolar_rib.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=Kolar_full_rib.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=Kolar_rib_front.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=Kolar_rib_rear.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=Kolar_stock.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What a classy, classic looking gorgeous gun. The match between the custom comb and the original stock looks like it all came from one piece of wood.

Eric

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Can't that same design be used on my top single barrel of my mx8?

4. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Up for Dennis. Nice work, as usual.

5. Dennis DeVault

Barry,

Yes it can be done on almost any barrel. I just have to wait for my cad designer to heal up from double knee surgery. He is due back on Jamuary 20th, 2010. Until then I can just show what work is coming. Thank you,

Dennis Devault

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you buy into Dennis' reasoning for not reinstalling the side ribs, then you understand why MX3 bbls aare great shooters.

7. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

I guess that's what they call thinking out of the box. I can't believe that's a different piece of wood for the adjustable comb. I think you saved this guy the money of a custom stock. Maybe you should have kept that one secret(LOL):)

Great work Dennis! Maybe it's time for a custom stock for my 90-T?

Josh Andersen

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dennis- I am very impressed with your knowledge, skill and ability to come up with well planned solutions to problems.

Pat Ireland

9. Dennis DeVault

Josh,

We got lucky and had a piece of English forend wood that matched up pretty well. And Thank you Pat for the kind review.

Dennis DeVault

10. Guy

Guy Member

Dennis: What was the original weight of those barrels, and what is it now?

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I hope he's a big SOB. Kolar, 34", with tubes !!! I couldn't even lift it, much less shoot it !!!

12. Dennis DeVault

WGH,

I did not do the weight before we did the barrels. The person that ownes the gun said that it moves alot better than before. Next time I will get a weight and publish the results.

Dennis

13. blaster

blaster Member

how did get the barrel bands to stay were they are

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Will you be able to do an adjustable rib on a kolar gun, while still maintaining the original barrel hanger system?

Whats the absolute lowest adjustable rib you could do? I have a 1/4" add-on rib on my gun right now (which has a fixed flat rib), and would want to have something pretty close to that if I went adjustable.

Any thoughts on how much weight difference there'd be after removing the factory rib and add-on (which is 2oz), and putting the above mentioned adjustable rib on?

I like the looks of the new kolar max, but their rib is equivalent to almost a 7/8" add-on rib (on a flat rib gun) which I think is WAY too high.

15. Dennis DeVault

The rib in the photo is 5/8" high in the rear and it slopes to 3/8" in the front. To get all the hardeware in the rib the lowest that we could install is a 1/2" sloped to 3/8" rib.

To Smoken,
    The collar is held in place with the same adhesive that we have been using on our other shotguns for 18 years. That is why we do not harm the barrel and keep the excessive heat off of the front end of the barrel. I guess you could soldier the front hanger but I would not know why I would want the mess and clean-up after the install.

Dennis

16. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dennis, this is all fascinating, is my gun done yet? LOL, Harv.<br>
    Tounge firmly in cheek.

17. Guy

Guy Member

Dennis: I have MX8 flat rib barrels....can you remove the side ribs, do your POI adjustment, and NOT install an adjustable rib?

18. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

ditto^^^^

19. Dennis DeVault

With the way the system was designed it will not work without taking everything off of the narrels including the top rib. The collar requires a full cylindrical bond to keep it in position. Several years we tried a half collar to do what you are asking and it failed after about 6 months.

Dennis DeVault

20. Guy

Guy Member

Dennis: How about this: Can the side ribs be removed, cut off the front 4" and re-solder the pieces back on, without affecting the top rib?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.