1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Rib cooking method

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

With due deference to Whiz-bang and the way he cooks ribs I have another method yhou might like. Whiz-bang is a friend, a fellow shooter, a last generation Camaro owner like myself. And he brings his ribs to local shoots for folks to enjoy. But I am always looking for a better method for everything and this seems to work well. First of all, I cook inside. I do not grill outside.

First, buy a slab of "Baby Back Ribs". I buy them on sale for about $3-$3.50 a pound and freeze them. They defrost quickly in warm water. Remove from package and strip off the underside membrane. I use a 5" kitchen knife to make a slot that I can get my finger into and carefully cut under the membrane of one rib bone. Just about and inch or inch and a half. Get ti started and using a paper towel pull it free and discard. Next sprinkle the ribs with Wolfgang Puck's "Rib Rub" recipe. find it on the web. But any rib rub will do. Rub it in some. Next, cut the ribs into two sections to fit into a braising pot. Then add a cup of water to the pot along with a bouillon cube. I use Knorrs vegetable cubes. All I use is half a cube. But the ribs should nto sit iin the liquid. I place a metal tong on the bottom of the pot and place a rib half on top of that and then another tong and then the second rib section.Cover and place in your 250 degree oven for 2 hours. At the end of that time the ribs will be ;pretty much cooked but lack the texture of fallign off the bone ribs.

Remove the ribs to a plate or board and set aside. Dump the water fat residue. YOu needn't clean it, but now you want to begin to dry the ribs in the final step. Lather your favorite bbq sauce on the ribs. You only do this once so use enough. Return to your racking system in the pot and place back into the 250 degree oven for at least one more hour. Up to about two hours. At the end of the second cooking time th eribs will be pretty much falling off the bone, but still juicy andhave a good amount of bbq sauce. Sufficient to serve as is. Cut from the underside into one or two piece sections. Here it is in pics

mia_2008_0303474.jpg

Then ribs in pan on the tongs

mia_2008_0303475.jpg

Ribs removed to side after intial 2 hours at 250 degrees,

[​IMG]

Drain the pot.

[​IMG]

lather the ribs with bbq sauce

[​IMG]

I forgot to take a final pic fo the finished ribs, but they pretty much look the same as the ones above. Because you cooking at moderate heat and the bbq sauce does not dry and caramelize.

This method works well for me because I do not need to fuss with the ribs as they cook.

Do not cover for the second and last segment of cooking.

2. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

It's about time for a new recipe from you-I was starting to wonder if you quit eating!

Jack your Swiss steak recipe is one of my favorites and has been passed down into the family as "Jack's Swiss Steak".Thanks again

You need to share the Swiss steak w/ the TS gang again in case they missed it the 1st time!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My only suggestion is to put the ribs into a cold smoker with apple, cherry or mesquite wood to flavor them up a bit before cooking. A cheap Little Chief or Big Chief smoker would work well and is easy to use.

4. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I second the swiss steak recipe. My neighbor uses it on his game animals and just drools over it every time. He is most thankful. But Jack, you need to put some color in them ribs, grill em for a few minutes!

5. Mike

Mike Member

I second the grilling a little bit, either before or after the oven. Will color and add a little smoke flavor. I use a turkey pan with V rack to bake mine, I don't add fluid as the tight seal on the turkey pan keeps steam in. I do line the V rack and pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Usually 2 1/2 hrs in pan at 275 deg then to BBQ to finish, that's when I add BBQ sauce. Keep em coming Jack! Mik

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The Koreans and Japanese use your method in traditional but efficient bamboo steamers.

They make some killer short ribs, fish, veggies and rice in these bamboo units.

Healthy too, lot less fat, also has been increasing talk on the health risk of charred or grilled meats.(carcinogen}.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I will gladly offer myself as a judge for all these rib recipes if we can get together in one place...please note that I will also require a recliner,,..a cooler of Sam Adams next to it..a big screen tv with remote and screen pause set on the NFL channel for when I gotta go tinkle...and a well endowed single blonde about 5'5" willing to rub my feet and dip my nachos in salsa...please name the time and place thats best for all and I'll be there ; )

P.S. if its over 200miles away you'll need to schedule my flight too..1st class of course!

8. Quailtail

Quailtail Member

I missed that swiss steak recipe. Care to repeat it

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I need to make that swiss steak again. Great recipe.

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

His Swiss Steak is just GREAT for beef or game! He is the master-I am glad he he shared it with TS!

11. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

MIA tonight I am going to do something I have never done before. I am going to say a prayer on your behalf in hopes that your wife buys you a good quality wood burning smoker or even a Big Green Egg so you can begin to make really good ribs. Stick burners rule. Pots are for boiling.

Last Sunday I smoked 9 racks and 4 chickens over Cherry and Apple wood. Just season the ribs lightly with my own rub. No BBQ sauce. Didn't need it. And they were really tender.

But I wish you good luck with that pot.

12. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

This link should work for the swiss steak. YUMMY stuff I am telling you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.