1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New? Renewal? Other

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I shot my first registered birds in about three years and a few questions came up with my (re)joining the ATA. I did not have a membership in the past two years. The rule book did not have information that we could find, that specifically dealt with the situation.

1. Since I did have a 22 yard Handicap yardage on my last year shooting (2007) and I still had an ATA membership number, we choose to call it a "Renewal" rather than a "New Member". This is after not being a member for the past two years. Is the ATA a "once you are in, you are in for ever" kind of registration or is there a period of time, (if so, How Long?) where your past history no longer counts? The Rule book seems to have no say on the matter either way.

2. The Rule Book shows a member dues of $20 per year for an annual member. The membership form (Rev 11/09) however offers both a one year membership @ $20.00 AND a three year annual membership @ $50.00. In both the rule book I got and the ATA on-line version of the rules, I could find no mention of a $50.00 Three Year option. Is there a three year option? (I sure hope so since that is the option I chose.)

3. The ATA web site On-Line membership form does NOT list the three year $50 option while the form to print and then mail DOES show the three year $50 option. Why does the on-line version not offer the three year option?

4. The membership form has provision for paying for the membership using a Visa or Mastercard. There is also space to fill in the required credit card info. Does the ATA process this credit card transaction when they receive the form? That is the option I used. I I hope the ATA will process the transaction since the club where I joined does not have credit card service of their own. I also hope that the ATA will provide a credit card transaction receipt or confirmation, either by postal or e-mail (e-mail address listed on membership form) when the transaction is posted.

5. On the membership form I did not see any check box or such provided to indicate that I would like a new plastic ATA card. Is a new card routinely offered with a "renewal" membership or is a card sent every "so many" years? In any case, I will be needing a new card since my old (several year old) card is delaminating and getting hard to read. What is the process to request a new card if one is not issued with the membership?

This same question was also e-mailed to some of the ATA office and Officers. If I get a response from one or more of them, I will post their reply(ies).

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

While not trying to sound like a smart a$$, these questions could very easily be answered by calling the ATA themselves. That is the best way to get correct answers for all your questions. Here is where you start, this taken straight from the ATA website itself.

ATTENTION: Please direct all questions regarding Memberships & Youth Memberships to Shawna Johnson in the Memberships Services department 937-898-4638 ext. 525 or sjohnson@shootata.com.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

1. Once you are in, it's a renewal.

2-3. The three-year membership is relatively new, probably hasn't made it into some of the printed publications. It's definitely valid.

4. No idea

5. You will probably need to request a new blue card. As far as I know they don't send them with a renewal, just when requested.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Grntitan,

Since this happened on a Saturday, I figure that the ATA offices will be closed till Monday. If you notice I did state that I sent the same questions to the ATA office people involved and my Region V.P. I also said that I would post their reply if I received one. In the past couple of months I did send some questions to the ATA but I never did get any reply. It appeared that they did get the question because a couple of days later, the web site put up a notice about what I was asking. I did not get an answer even though I specifically asked.

In the past, I had several times I corresponded with Stacey about ATA matters and the the replies were quite quick in coming. Once she left, and I went on "leave" there were only two or three times I had any need to communicate with the ATA office. This is one of them.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I missed that part, my fault. I always call in person and never leave a message if they don't answer. I just call back later. Seems Scott answered most of your questions already. I figured you would just be a renew after only missing a year or so. I've seen people listed that have not shot or renewed in almost 10 years and they are still members just not current. Good luck anyway and glad your back. At age 41 i'm trying to decide if i should just go ahead and make it a life membership. I just don't want to jinx myself thinking i can get my moneys worth. LOL----Matt

6. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Once you join the ATA you get a ATA number. This ATA number is just like your Social Security number - it never changes and you have this number for life.

I shot for 14 years then quit for 15 years. In 2007 I started shooting registered ATA again. I have the same number and my shooting records reflect all my scores from 31 years ago until today.

Michael Stephenson

AA-25.5-AA

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

This morning I received an E-Mail from Shawna Johnson in the ATA office answering my questions. I would like to publicly acknowledge the quickness and completeness of her response. I have edited out the portions of her reply that contained the original message since it is the same contents as my original post. The numbers refer to my original question.

*Begin (edited) copied file ***

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your concerns. Below you will find
    the answers to your questions. If you have any further questions please
    contact our office.

See Below:

1. (New or Renewal question)

*(Once you become an ATA Member your information and shooting history
    will always remain within the ATA Office. Please see Page 23 C. #4 of
    the rulebook. [This covers lapse in membership handicap yardage question. JP]

2.(Web site membership information)

*(There is a three year option as you have seen. It is not an option on
    the web site as of yet. It is something that is being worked on and
    should be available soon. However, it is available on the printed
    membership forms.)

3. (On-line membership options)

*(See answer to above question.)

4. (Processing of credit card payment on application)

*(When a shooter pays their dues at a Gun Club they do forward all
    paperwork and monies to our office. Once we receive your credit card
    application we will process it ASAP.

5. (Replacement card)

*(Anytime a shooter is in need of a new plastic card he/she has to make
    that request. We have processed your request and a plastic card will be
    mailed to you today.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.