1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Reminton waterfowl loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Avybody tried the new Remington HD waterfowl loads. Any feed back? I know Hevi Shot is not loaded in their shell anymore(still available from Enviormental Metal). Just wondered how some people did with them?

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

According to Remington's site, the HD loads are 10% MORE DENSE than lead, so that would make them about like Hevi-Shot and ROUND (unlike Hevi-Shot). I bought a box and it hammers geese like HS does. I will make the switch when my supply of HS runs out.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I am still shooting Bismuth I bought 6 years ago.
    Maybe I will try some of the new stuff next year.
    It's all a bunch of crap anyway.
    We still have trap clubs up here shooting out over the river with lead.
    Now,you tell me if that makes since.

Bo

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have shot HD in #2 for geese over decoys...worked juuuuuust fine. However, I still have 10 boxes of HS I got on sale at $14/per when the HD came out and it works juuuuuuust fine also.

5. slide action

Thanks for the replies. It's too late in the season to go out and buy some trhis year, but I'll give them a try next season. I don't use steel on large ducks unless it's under 35 yds. over decoys and don't use steel on Geese.(I don't want to chase cripples). Heavy shot works very well, but if I can buy something better, I'm all for it. I hear Federal has a new load out also(anybody know what it's called)?

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    $35.95 per 10 shells?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What, are they gold plated?

7. Heavy Hitter

Heavy Hitter TS Member

Slide,

I think the new Federal load your asking about is the Fed Heavyweight... 15 g/cc compared to Rem HD and HS which is 12 g/cc. Fed Ultra Shock High Density is under the density of lead and more like the density of Bismuth/Hevi Steel/Hevi Shot Duck.

Price- around here about $5.50 a pop/ $51.99 plus tax per 10

If you want to purchase the Hevi shot that is manufactured by Environmetal make sure you buy Blue box goose loads. That stuff is still the 12 g/cc like old, the new green box Hevi Duck is less dense than lead at around 9.7 g/cc which is slightly higher than Bismuth. Environmetal, a few years ago, had new density's of shot approved and thus they are selling you basically hevi-steel that is a tad bit heavier at the original hevi shot price. Don't believe me check the boxes, the blue box will say heavier than lead and the green boxes do not.

8. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Federals new shot is named Black Cloud, interesting stuff, had a band around the middle of it. Supposed to act as a cutting edge to be more lethal. Shotguns Sports mag had an article on it and they rated it as ok. Anything to sell to the hunters I guess. I wonder if a honker will tell the difference or not. Rick Gibbs

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    These prices are going to drive more back to 3-1/2" steel shells.

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I have never had a problem with steel 3's for ducks and steel BB's for geese. Of course, I let them come in to less than 30 yards......

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I like BBs for the third load in the gun, #2's otherwise but this is the Eastern Shore of Maryland and man...my friend who owns the pit can call them, they are right there.

This is the first time I have ever heard of the new Rem HD (high density) being less dense than the Hevi-Shot...I thought I had read something to just the opposite.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

For the 2007-2008 Waterfowl season:

I purchased a flat (10 boxes) of the Remington HD, 2-3/4", 1-1/4 oz., #4 (1325 fps) from Cabela's for $280.00, used a $20.00 off coupon and received $150.00 rebate from Remington, so, the actual cost of the shells was acceptable.

I hunt geese & ducks, all over decoys, sometimes field hunting, but more often over water. The Remington HD's worked very well. No cripples and very few floppers, most were DRT.

Based on my past experiences with the Remington shells (both Hevi-shot and the new HD), I would recommend it to all that hunt waterfowl and are looking for a shell that really works. Much, much better than steel. Personally I feel that steel should be prohibited, especially when used by inexperienced waterfowlers and of course the "Pilgrims".

Curt - Delaware

13. slide action

Brian, I do OWN a 3-1/2 in. 870, but the recoil from those Roman Candles rattles my teeth.(Remember, you are puishing a 10 ga. load down a 12 Ga.hole)! Since I have tennis elbow, and some athritis, it only makes it worse. Other than shooting them for large Geese, I'll leave the big shells alone. I may try the Black Cloud and Rem. HD next season. I have found you can kill with steel if you push it REALLY fast, but steel(even the best grade) runs out of gas fast past 40 yards. I seldom use ANY shot in steel smaller than #2s. I know the quality shells are pricey, but they give good results. I always use the steel to anchor cripples provided they are not too far away. I still have 4 or 5 ten packs of Hevi-Shot left and will use it for the larger ducks. I'll shoot the steel on divers and woodies. Thanks for the info.-- Cut e'm hard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.