1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Remington 1100 classic trap

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by marbax, Dec 1, 2016.

1. marbax

marbax Well-Known Member

Seem to have a cycling and ejection issue with brand new gun, doesn't matter what trap load, same issue.

Any suggestions or quick fix?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Make sure chamber is squeaky clean and polished; avoid shells with steel heads e.g., Remington Gun Clubs, promo Federal & Winchester loads. Might not fix problem, but easy to try. Regards, Ed

3. 1madss

1madss Member

I had a 2014 1100 CT that would run most anything but Winchester Super Target and international loads. The finish quality in the chamber of 3 new 1100s I've handled was poor. My older 1100s from the 70's and 80's would run any shell I shot. Polishing the chamber helped but did not completely cure the issue. I ended up swapping in a old style 2 piece seal that seemed to do the trick.

Neil Winston and JACK thanked this.
  4. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

Contact Remington.

Scott Hanes

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Not always, but very often powder residues attach to the mag tube and the inside of the bbl gas trap. Clean that thoroughly and do not lube. Often that will solve the issue

mg1polo thanked this.
  6. Seft02

Seft02 Member

is it on every shot or just random ?

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with your problem, but check the mag tube and be sure it comes out of the receiver centered. I had five new guns this past year that were not...no even close.

The only help Remington gave my customers were new guns... each one just as bad. The mag tubes are not soldered to the receiver on center from end to end. The rep I spoke to told me he had no way of checking the guns in the TN warehouse for a good one because he was in Ilion, NY.

The last one I just put a long piece of steel on the mag tube and bent it straight. The high schooler shoot 2 100's this past season after it was corrected.

Doug

8. marbax

marbax Well-Known Member

Random, maybe 20% of the time.

9. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

See post #4. That says it all. If it is new and not working correctly, do not void the warranty by messin with it.

10. bluesasquatch

bluesasquatch Member

A thorough cleaning and fresh quality ammos hould do it. If not, contact Remington.
    Jim

11. Super X

Super X Member

check the extractor if it is worn (I know its a new gun) or the spring is weak you can have cycling problems especially with promo shells.

12. bthomp9

bthomp9 Member

I have the same gun and have found that it cycles everything. So contacting Remington as mentioned above sounds like good advice. I had a different gun that had a feeding issue and I used Flitz polishing compound on areas that the shell came into contact when feeding. That fixed it. One other option is to sell your gun and buy mine.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Some of the cheap shells like the Wally World Winchester's have oversize bases and will stick or not go into the chamber very well. At least that's what I discovered with my new 1100 competition. Also, I had to tighten the bases on my reloads so they would load correctly.

OldGoat thanked this.
  14. bthomp9

bthomp9 Member

I have a skb semi auto that did not feed wally world shells. My brother worked for a company that sold chicken wire to wally world, lowes, and menards. Menards would demand thinner wire with less corosion protection than Lowes. I shop at Lowes more often knowing this. Also Wally world often demands exclusive pricing and different sku's so I would not be surprised if they got thinner bases. I dont know for sure that they demand thinner bases, but it would not surprise me. I do know Menard sells thinner chicken wire for less. I got to tour the federal plant last year and I would be surprised if they could make thinner bases. The assembly line that produces shotgun shells I believe was built in 1958 it is huge and long.

15. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

I have four 1100's and one being a trap 1100 and they cycle flawlessly. Never and issue with anything I have fed them hunting or target. I shoot Winchester super targets from Walmart in my trap 1100 and they run flawlessly. If it isn't feeding premium trap loads send it back.

16. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

I agree. That's unacceptable for a brand new gun straight out of the box.

17. Super X

Super X Member

The problem with steel bases is that steel does not contract as well after expansion as brass and can cause sticking in some chambers.

18. El Gordo

El Gordo Member

I agree with 1madss. Change air check the rubber o-ring or change from the new single gas seal to the old two piece. This worked for me.

19. teg2658

teg2658 Member

Let Remington deal with it, you don't want Remington to say you messed with it, you're on your own.
    Tom

20. Levenhunnert

Levenhunnert TS Member

I had an issue with a brand new 1100 CS bought last spring. I soaked the entire gun in WD40, let it sit for 20 minutes, wiped it off and replaced it with gun oil on the moving parts. There was a lot of factory preservative grease on there that was preventing proper lubrication from working, and the WD40 cut through it when Remoil could not. If you don't like WD40 on your guns, I'm sure CLP or Ballistol would work just fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

remington 1100 classic trap franklin tn