1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

New Remington 1100 Barrel for Clays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SpeedyWho, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho TS Member

I shot my first round of clays today, and I had a great time. I used my 1100 trap model witha 30" fixed Mod barrel. I think I would like to get a shorter barrel with the Remchoke set up. I see they have 26" and 28" vent ribs readily available. I just bought a SBT gun and a money is too tight to get another gun now. I dont really use the 1100 for that much any more. The barrels are cheep and easy to swap out, so I figured I use it for clays. What length should I get? I'm thinking the 26". I am looking forward to getting the Remchoke anyway.

Thanks for any info MIKE
  2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

There is nothing more fun than showing up to shoot Sporting Clays with an old beat up 1100 with a Poly Choke. The guys with the BIG $$$$$ guns look at you and chuckle. But the look on their faces at the scoreboard is alot different!
  3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

dick - how much do you want for the barrel?

mar
  4. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

30" is the prefered lenght for clsys with an auto. mod. is a little on the tite side for the choke but if it were me I would shoot it as is for a while.
  5. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

oleww

"Beware of the guy with only one gun"..... who said that?

Vic Rinders used to say that all the time, because with one gun the guy would have to be really good at what ever he shot at.

Skip Dillin
  6. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

If you shoot a 26" barrel with a 1100 the sighting plane is problem about the same as a O/U with a 30" barrel,because of the length of the receiver. I would get the Rem chokes and a 28" barrel.
  7. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I have a 26" length, 3" chamber, fixed full choke, camo barrel that I could part with.

Chris
  8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays before the local ranges closed. I always used the longest barrels available. In Beretta autos I used a 32". In Remingtons I used a 30" with Rem Chokes. Most of my shooting was done with a 32" Browning 425. I recommend you use a 30" Rem Choke barrel. You will love it after you get used to it.
    [​IMG]
  9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

The trend in sporting clays has been shifting to longer barrels. At one time it was thought the best equipment were skeet guns, but now quasi-trap guns are getting to be more common.

I prefer a shorter barrel. My favorite for clays is a 28" light contour, but for a standard weight barrel I prefer a 26", as they weigh similar. The lighter weight helps me to quickly jink the barrel around for the second shot. My heavy trap barrel is great for smooth follow through in trap, but that works against it in sporting clays, at least for me.

I also use my field guns for sporting clays, to get practice in. However, they're all set up with monte carlo stocks, even the camo guns, so the POI is the same for everything.

And yes, the rule of thumb for autos is to add four inches to the barrel length for the equivalent break action barrel length, due to the longer receiver.
  10. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho TS Member

Thanks Everyone!

I have two choices for my clays gun. One being the 1100 and the other is a Beretta BL4 mod/full 28". The second is my field gun and I feel its choked too tight for this application. Thats why I wanting to get a Remchoke barrel and use the 1100. I guess as long I get used to it and learn the course I should progress. I like tinker with set ups, I need to find what will work and stick with it. This I know.

Thanks Again, MIKE
  11. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

I bought a 30" Rem-Choke barrel for my 1100 SB. It is a bit too front heavy to shoot clays with (compared to my Beretta 390 with a 30" barrel). Does Remington make a lighter weight 30" barrel?

Jim Skeel
  12. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Active Member

In Sporting Clays, Modified choke is the first secret of the Master Class. Spend some time getting to know your gun on the Skeet field and a commercial grade 5-stand. The days of in-your-face SC targets has wained. There are spreader loads available for the few you'll see. Even if the spreaders don't actually work well, they still work, and can serve to ease your mind until you develop the ability to center each shot - near or far.

Yes, you can shoot Modified at Skeet successfully, especially when you're just practicing for other clay target disciplines. Additionally, if you're shooting lighter loads, Mod will help make up the difference in pellet counts (in the pattern kill-zone). Until you pattern the barrel, with the loads you'll be shooting you really don't know what the actual choke is?

My thinking is shoot the barrel you have and spend your money on targets. Contrary to gun ownership mantra, but always more fun.

IMHO,
    Kip
  13. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho TS Member

Well, I went out to the club and shot a around of clays today. The weather was about 30 degrees warmer and I used the 1100 the way it was. I did much better than last week, at most stations, and picked up a good amount on my over all. Best of all I had a great time. I plan leaveing the gun as is and shooting more rounds on the course. I know that almost all of misses have nothing to do with the choke or barrel length. Once I get better then I can tweak things.

I did catch little crap about the gun, most of the guys guns cost 10X more than mine. That said, I did not have the lowest score at the end.
  14. hmb

hmb Active Member

I would open the choke up to improved cylinder. Use #9s for the close birds, 8s for the medium distance birds and 7 1/2s for the long shots, rabbits and teals. HMB
  15. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho TS Member

For the time being I dont want to spend the money on a new barrel. My fixed MOD will do the job for now. I was happy with my round today and I'll still really "GREEN" at this sport.
  16. den1100

den1100 TS Member

No,no,no, do not touch that barrel. Do not open it up, do not put tubes in it. Learn how to find the centre with each shot one day, and you'll be glad that you still have a Mod barrel. It is the only barrel that you will need for a very long time. Pattern the barrel, and really shoot alot at cardboard for a bit to see exactly where your pattern is going. We have a guy at our club in Vancouver who only shoots an 1100 with a 30 inch mod barrel, and he is one of the top clays shooters in Western Canada, and probably the best shooter in our province. Get the trigger done right away to around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of pull, and zero creep. A good gunsmith can do this for you for a reasonable price. Or, even better, find a Timney trigger for it. They're on here often. Add that to the gun and you are set.
  17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Stay with that barrel because modified is not really a disadvantage except for those real, real close shots. Modified and Improved Modified are the choice of the top sporting clays shooters. The rest of us usually shoot Improved Cylider or Light Modified.
    Most shooters feel that the 30" Remchoke barrel is too heavy. I think that's one of the reasons the 1100 Competition hasn't really caught on. 28" in a Remchoke barrel weighs about the same as your 30" fixed choke barrel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.