1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Reloader Purchase Advise

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ultra Man, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultra Man

Ultra Man Member

I'm finished with my Mec 9000 loaders. Considering PW,Spolar,or Dillon. I don't change guages and have 2-3 load recipies that I use 12 guage only. Must have trouble free loading, price is secondary. Which way to go? D Wagner

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Spolar if $$$ are not a concern, otherwise Dillon

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Hornady 366 all the way. Simple, easy to use, built well and excellent warranty/service. Parts if needed, including bushings are easily available. I have three of these machines, 12, 20 and 28. (I'd love to have a 16) They make factory shells with no hiccups. The new machines come with all of the upgrades that make it work so smoothly. Really, try one before jumping. You will be surprised.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

...<i> Really, try one before jumping. You will be surprised.</i>

Don't the big shoots have enough reps with machines that you can try them all?

I don't think you can make a mistake with your three choices, nor with the Hornady, and I'm not sure why the RCBS Grand is so easy to overlook.

Bob

5. dws

dws TS Member

Having owned both PW and Dillon - I prefer the Dillon as "I" feel its better quality, faster and Dilllon's customer support is tough to beat. Also, I like the adjustable charge bars - no need for bushings.

I've never used a Spolar but they do have a fine reputation.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try using you Son-in-law.

7. JACK

Try using you Son-in-law.

8. JACK

I shoot a release

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

My Dillon is fantastic. I went to www.uniquetek.com and bought their powder bar micrometer. Very fast adjusment and dead accurate. Dave T.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Spolar #1, then P/W #2... get a hydraulic unit with either. Fred

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Get the Spolar with the hydraulic unit and you will be very happy!
    I wish I never saw a MEC and bought this 10 years ago!
    Scott

12. Rich G

Rich G TS Member

Go Dillon

13. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

D. Wagner,

quote: "Must have trouble free loading."

that means the primers have to be there.

that means the machine cannot come out of adjustment, or need readjustment, even once in a while.

That means Spolar.

Go to a major shoot. (Ca. state shoot, satellite grands, The Grand) Chances are the Spolar's are there.

See for yourself.

I sold my Dillon (and a bunch of other stuff too) to finance a Spolar with hydro. I have a total of 29k rounds loaded on it. (yes, I keep track)

no adjustments, no customer service issues, no nothing. Beat that with <i>your</i> brand!

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Get a Leed hand loader for about 20 bucks. It can't get out of adjustment and the primer will always be there and you WILL appreciate anything else you have!! All of the loader above are great. You said $$$ was no object. Spolar

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Spolar then Dillon. But the Spolar only with a automated case feeder system. Otherwise get a Dillon for 1/2 as much.

16. skip

skip Member

Ponsness Warren, best bang for the dollar

Maybe a shell feeder for convenience

Hydraulic system for ease of use and a consistent load.

Should last you a life time.

17. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shot 410 is there something new with the Spolar that I dont know about
    Case feeder???

18. furface

furface Member

I own a Dillon. My friends have spolar and PW and I wouldn't trade them unless they gave me enough boot to buy a new Dillon. I still have my old Hornady 366 & it's like driving a Model T compared to the Dillon. The Spolar is finicky about the wads it likes. Good luck, Joe

19. Customstox

Customstox Member

I have owned a Mec 9000, several PW's (from 600's to 800's) and now a Spolar. I think you will have a good loader with any of your choices. I am very happy with my Spolar. If I were to add anything I would add the electric power that is available from PW rather than the hydraulic from Spolar. When you get a Spolar, you specify the load you are going to use and they set up the loader and load 200 hulls to make sure it is functioning properly. I have never had any problem regarding the use of wads or much of anything else. If you have any problems, you can call and speak with Dicksie or Carter and they will know the answers for you and are willing to spend as much time as you need to help you.

I am not aware of any automatic hull feed for the Spolar, but there is one for the Dillon. I have never run a Dillon but I have heard good things about them. Dillon probably has the best reputation for customer service in the business and from my experience with my 550, any replacement parts have always been free.

Then again, I have never needed any for my Spolar outside of wad guide fingers.

Good luck with your decision. As I said, I doubt you will go wrong with any of them.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Spolar hydraulic. Period. I load 1,000/wk and it is hands down awesome - primers feed, vibratory works to move primers, and shells are same all day. The only problem I have is I get in the zone and run out of powder/shoot! (Former MEC owner - which is a great machine for low volume).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.