1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whopper1, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whopper1

whopper1 Member

I shot the new to me release trigger that I purchased from winmod21 last night for the first time-meaning the first time ever for a release. The objective was to overcome a flinch that was getting worse by the week. There were times that I would call for the target three times before I could pull the trigger. The results of the release were fantastic!! It actually felt pretty natural
    and I didn't shoot the ground, traphouse or my foot. I can allready tell that I am going to like it.

Dave

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Dave: Welcome to the club. For me the release trigger made shooting fun again. If it weren't for the release I would have quit shooting 4 years ago. I'm sure you will have little trouble getting used to using it. I would take a snap cap or a fired empty hull and practice "clearing the gun". (When something happens on the line, you have the trigger set and you can't shoot).This takes a little practice. Anyway I'm sure you are going to enjoy shooting again. Good Luck. Ed

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It is amazing what we can do when we know we have to. Around 1990, I bought a used KS-5 that came with a release hook. One night at our club's practice shoot, I decided to try the release. In one post, I was saying that there was something seriously wrong with anyone who could or would shoot one of those things.

Four years later, I suddenly started flinching. I finally tried the release again and, thinking more about working the trigger than anything else, had a 14 on my first trap with it. But the second trap was a 24 and now, I wouldn't go back to a pull trigger even if I could. My mechanics are so much smoother and it almost feels more natural!

Funny thing is that I never even think about setting the trigger on any of my handguns or rifles and can even hunt with a pull trigger in a shotgun. We're weird critters.

Ed

4. WJN

WJN TS Member

I have often wondered what happens on the line if you set the trigger but can't shoot for some reason and need to make the gun safe.

Jim

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

WJN,

It's a common question.

If for some reason you have to make the gun safe after you have already set the release, you simply un-set the trigger. To do that, with my Beretta 682 O/U you open the action(break it open) and its then safe. When you are ready, you close the gun and start over again. I'm not sure how all the autos and pumps work but they also have ways making the gun safe but I believe all involve opening the action. I'm not saying you are one of these guys but I think a lot of shooters who bad mouth release triggers simply do not understand how they work.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What! you didn't listen to the naysayers who offered a myriad of fixes that'll never work. Congratulations for entering the dark side and you'll soon be beating the pants off your fellow "continue to flinchers"!!

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Yes sir, and they also save on shoe leather, avoiding those 2-3 jerky steps forward as you struggled to finally get the damn thing pulled. Kind'a like a monkey & a football. Not pretty...

God, I hope they never ban them...

JR

8. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I put a Speer's release in he 1100 project gun I've been working on. First squad last Thursday was a 23, even though I had some jamming issues. I completed a total of three squads with 23, 18, 21. That was the first time I used a release.

I solved the jamming issue yesterday. Shot five rounds today and only one score below 20.

For yuks I switched to my bt99 for three squads. No problems and scores were also good - and it was windy as all get out.

Safety? Had a trap malfunction on Thursday. Merely pushed the bolt back with non-trigger hand and all was well.

I guess I'm lucky that both methods work for me. Release, however seems much smoother and natural.

Larry

9. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Well, you see my name, LOL! Release triggers are responsible for keeping me in trapshooting (is that a good thing?). I even like building them.

grntitan, The safest way to disengage the semi-auto is as Grandpasarms said; Reach over with your non-shooting hand and pull back on the bolt, then release the trigger while the bolt is open. On a pump you can sometimes just shuck the action open then release the trigger, some pumps you will need to press the disengage button to open the action. As long as the action is open on any gun it is then safe; just keep it pointed downrange. Mark

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mark,

Thanks for the lesson on how to disengage a release on an auto and pump. I have just never shot a release on either. Now I will know how. I find the procedure to disengage the release on my 682 to be almost second nature. That said I always make sure to pay close attention to what I'm doing. For a long time I was one of those that had never shot the back of the house. I can't claim that anymore. The gun was safely downrange--no harm, no foul other than I almost sh*t my pants.. :)

11. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

grntitan, I've done it too. On another note I shot a round of skeet a while back with a pull trigger; when I stepped up to station 2 I got into position then boom! Uh, pull?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.